2009 US Open Cup

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Bradical, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Bradical

Bradical Member

The US's answer to the FA Cup gets underway tonight (a preliminary round match between Charm City F.C. and Go Soccer F.C. was rescheduled)

The MLS "Play-in" games start this month, and tonight it's:

Colorado Rapids @ LA Galaxy

Perhaps this tourney will get its due in my lifetime.

http://www.usopencup.com/

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Thanks for starting the ball rolling, Bradical. In the past some of our bloggers have focused on this closely, and perhaps they will again. According to Pettyfog, this is the second oldest tournement of its type in the world, second only to England's.

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

If Beckham really wants to help promote soccer in the US, getting behind this tournament would help.

4. Flamingcokecans

Flamingcokecans New Member

I love this tournament!
    I know it is way underrated but it really brings a good crowd when one of the MLS teams comes and visits the Charleston Battery, I hope it is the same at other USL team stadiums. I know this tournament even gets some coverage on FSC, and it has some great potential to boost the camaraderie at all levels of US soccer, too bad people don't see the excitement of watching some US "giant killers" taking down MLS teams.

I will definitely be following this tournament, hoping to make it to a game.

Go Battery!

5. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Flamingcokecans couldn't be more right. This tourney deserves a million times more attention and credit. It is a great and historical (history being something the sport has very little of in this country) competition. I will be following the tourney vary closely this year. Hopefully my Sounders can go all the way this year

6. Bradical

Bradical Member

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

For some of us who remember 1968 very well, that's a very spooky sentence, Bradical.

8. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Well if I do recall it was Seattle that drubbed the Rapids 5-0 to knock them out of the cup a couple years ago. I'm sure Colorado wants to make amends for that loss.

9. Bradical

Bradical Member

Yes, 5-0 loss to Seattle in 2007, so revenge is in order - besides, someone needs to knock Seattle off its high horse. Colorado might have some previous US Open Cup hardware if it weren't for those meddling Rochester Raging Rhinos.

Don, I wasn't alive in '68, but I'm well aware of the import of the expression - I guess you could say that I'm expecting an abrupt exit by my Rapids.

10. Bradical

Bradical Member

11. articbob

articbob Member

I just got back from a heartbreaker between Carolina Railhawks and Wilmington Hammerheads. After 120 minutes of epic battle(3-3), it goes to Wilmington 4-3 on penalty kicks. They now get the pleasure of facing Chicago Fire. Wilmington pulled off that upset against Dallas back in 2003, can we see it again?

12. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Here's the modern history and results

I've been to several OC games, including the Rhino's v Rapids Final in 99. For a guy who encourages folks to follow their local team, my memories still are summary: "What a sucky game!"

- That was mainly because Rhinos took Rapids out of any semblance of form.

{Think taking Border Collie from herding sheep to herding chickens}

But that's the beauty of the series, innit!

13. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

On the Ocean City/Real Maryland newscast highlights, the sportscaster said OC won in overtime.

I know its the Eastern Shore, but sigh...

14. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Third round upsets abound.

Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup

Third Round, June 30

Rochester (USL-1) 1:1 Columbus (MLS) Rochester advance on PKs 5-3
    Wilmington (USL-2) 1:0 Chicago (MLS)
    New England (MLS) 1:2 (aet) Harrisburg (USL-2)
    D.C. United (MLS) 2:0 Ocean City (PDL)
    Charleston (USL-1) 3:1 Chivas USA (MLS)
    Minnesota (USL-1) 3:3 Kansas City (MLS) Kansas City advance on PKs 4-2

July 1

Austin (USL-1) -:- Houston (MLS)
    Portland (USL-1) -:- Seattle (MLS)

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'd love to see some fines levied on those MLS sides who obviously have no respect for the competition. The worst offender is The Crew who owe their ground and their very existence to the man whose name graces the trophy. Or maybe I'm wrong, maybe USL-2 is as good or better as the MLS.

All my growling aside, well done the USL.

16. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Go on Battery!

17. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Funny, because many of the same clubs seem to more than OK in fielding full strength squads in SuperLiga.

The same tournament that doesn't qualify for anything, and only makes money through matching up the 3-6th placed MLS teams with whatever Mexican (youth) teams feel like showing up.

18. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Out of curiosity Don why do you find the Crew to be the worst offenders when they lost to a USL-1 side and both the Revolution and Fire lost to USL-2 sides?

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Because they're one of the two [are there more, 'fog?] franchises owned by Lamar Hunt, and the stadium was financed by him.

20. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Sounders edge Wizards 1-0.

SEATTLE (AP) - Sebastien Le Toux drilled in a penalty kick in the 89th minute Tuesday night, giving the Seattle Sounders a 1-0 victory against the Kansas City Wizards in a U.S. Open Cup quarterfinal.

The Sounders were awarded the penalty kick when Fredy Montero was taken down in the area by Wizards goalkeeper Kevin Hartman.

Seattle keeper Kasey Keller, who was red-carded in the 29th minute when the teams met in a regular-season Major League Soccer game in Seattle on April 11, earned the shutout.

The Sounders will host the Houston Dynamo of MLS in a semifinal game on July 21. The Wizards were eliminated from the Cup in the quarterfinals for the second straight year, having fall to the USL First Division Sounders last season.

Stephen King, who scored Seattle's winning goal in last week's 2-1 third-round Open Cup victory at Portland of USL-1, started the play that led to Seattle's goal. He sent a long through ball to Montero, who advances into the box and was about 15 yards from the net when Hartman, who came out to challenge Montero on the play, took him down while trying to run him off the ball.

Sounders coach Sigi Schmid has a team in the Open Cup semifinals for the fifth time. He won it with the Los Angeles Galaxy in 2001 and was runner-up with Los Angeles in 2002.

This is the third straight year a Seattle team has made the Open Cup semifinals. The USL-1 Sounders got that far in 2007 before losing to FC Dallas, and in 2008 before falling to Charleston of USL-1.

Seattle is on a six-game overall unbeaten streak (4-0-2), which includes two U.S. Open Cup victories.

The Sounders doubled Kansas City in shots, 12-6. That included a 7-3 advantage during the first half when Seattle dominated the opening 20 minutes of play.

D.C. United win 2-1 in US Open Cup quarterfinals

Associated Press

Thabiso Khumalo and Andrew Jacobson scored early in the first half Tuesday night to lead defending champion D.C. United to a 2-1 victory over the Harrisburg City Islanders in the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open Cup.

Khumalo netted in the eighth minute and Jacobson in the 18th for United, who will play a semifinal match on July 21.

Nicki Paterson scored in the 64th minute for the Islanders, who play in the United Soccer League's Second Division, the third tier of American professional soccer.

The game was a rematch of the Islanders' stunning 1-0 upset of United in the Open Cup in 2007.