Your opinion...when did the great escape start?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, May 15, 2008.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

...the moment that sanchez was given the tin-tack, the moment Mr Hodgson was appointed, or the Villa game?
    Or at some other point..?

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

who am I to disagree with the vast majority of folks in the chatroom the last month?

"The :wink: "

3. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

"The Wink" is now one of my all time favorite moments in Sports!

4. DCDave

DCDave Member

Two thoughts:

1. BMB's goal at Reading. They needed to beat Reading and had won two away matches in 2 4/5 seasons. They needed to get the first goal and they did.

2. Kamara's winner at Man City. I was out-of-town at my wife's cousin's 9-year-old soccer game following the game on my cell and when we went down 2-0, I said--we're goin' down, and I actually stopped following the game; I gave up. The two goals to draw even were nice, but a draw would have been meaningless. We needed the win, and we got it in dramatic fashion. When I found out we had won and how we won, that's probably the moment I thought that we might have a chance of staying up.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I think that it started on the days Roy Hodgson, Brian McBride, and Jimmy Bullard were born.

6. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

I have to echo DaveNearDC. The win over Reading would almost have to be the start of the thought and the faint hope of the escape.

The come-back win over Man City IN Man City made the Great Escape more than just a thought and a faint hope.

In all honesty, when this team couldn't go and beat friggin' Derby County on the road; I was already thinking Championship. I started thinking otherwise since the Reading game; but I didn't seriously hope and think it could be done until 3-2 over City.

7. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

The :wink: was great, but I didn't really believe we would get out of it until we came back against Citeh. At the 65th minute I was wondering who would stay and who would go as we went down a level.

I also don't think I really believed it until the final whistle blew at Fratton Park

8. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

No doubt about it.........'The Wink'!

9. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

The moment I started to believe was against Everton.

The moment I thought it might ACTUALLY happen was the win @ reading.

10. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Your toe bone connected to your foot bone,
    Your foot bone connected to your ankle bone,
    Your ankle bone connected to your leg bone,

With so many pivotal moments in Fulham's drive to survive it is difficult to choose just one. Pull out any one goal and Fulham would have collapsed like a pile of dry bones. However, there is a beginning and an ending to all things and even if you don't believe so humor me. I myself am partial to the subtle things in soccer and for me the great escape started with a foul on Kamara that led to Jimmy's now beloved wink and concluded with a foul on Kamara that led to the goal that will cement a place in Fulham history for Danny Murphy. In the future Kamara will be hailed for his two goal game in what will surely become the legenday comeback against Citeh but I wonder how many of us will sit back and laud him for the hard work he put in that allowed Bullard and Murphy to shine.

Dem bones dem bones dem dry bones .....

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

now hear the word of the Woy!

12. Clevelandmo

please elaborate for the dim

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

the next line to BarryP's song -- with a slight alteration.

Guess you're too young, Mo.

14. Clevelandmo

no just dim

15. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Bullard and BMB. It didnt happen all at once, but as they both got to fighting shape and their abilities returned the season turned around. Just as a BTW - I think BMB getting fit and re-discovering his confidence was the most important part of the turnaround.

Yes - Bullard played a part, and he is a character - but not the true, "Captain" that BMB is.

16. terrinh73

terrinh73 Member

The Wink and the win against Reading. I've never been so happy as when I received the text announcing our first away win in so many months/ years! My friends at the camp out still tell me they have never seen me so happy...they made me chug a beer for my over-exuberance :D!!!

-T

17. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I'd certainly like to thing it was the game I was at vs Everton when BMB won it. Crowd was pumped that day and though they lost the next few it gave life to the team.

Suppose you could just as easily say it was Bullard's stoppage time winner against Villa though.

18. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

Jensers, I agree 100%. I don't think we could have done it without either, but mcbride is the leader on the pitch.

19. MariaK

MariaK New Member

What is the 'wink' exactly? :roll:

But for me it was the sacking of Sanchez...I always disliked the guy :wink:

20. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I think Bullard was trying to do it, but he was pissing some of the guys off with all his barking. I dont see BMB doing that, and yet - he seems to have the whole crew in line and moving forward.

He just works hard and plays hard - no whining or excuses... He is the man!