1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I like his skill set. I'm worried that JK is spending too much time trying to find American connections for German players that he's missing what is right under his nose in North America -- and England for that matter.

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Personally, the prospect of Ream in the USMNT scares me. I know everyone seems to think he has so much potential, but here is my fear. Nearly everytime I've seen him play he makes a key mistake and quite often it's a bonehead mistake to boot. I know that's mostly coincidence because if that happened too often he wouldnt be starting anywhere. The problem for me though is that I think he too easily shrugs off his mistakes. Yes you have to move on after a mistake but he doesnt seem to feel any pain from them. I dont see how he ever stops making crucial mistakes if he doesnt feel bad enough about them to think, "man, I feel awful. I'm going to make damn sure that never happens again". But I could be wrong. I was brought up catholic after all so guilt is a way of life.

3. Clevelandmo

Agree about Gomez. Cant see how you dont want that guy coming off the bench.

And it's hard not to share your concern Hatter when Germans who havent even earned a start for their first team in the Bundesliga get called up before Americans.

I'm also still concerned that Klinsmann doesnt know what he is doing. I didnt see the Italy - US match, but from what I read that good result was achieved with the ol' defend and counter approach that our previous, less knowledgable 'merican coaches employed (forgeting the fact that that wasnt entirely true). In other words, it wasnt done using the new style that Klinsmann says he wants to put in place. I still have suspicions that der Kaiser is a little too all over the place to put a system and tactical approach in place for the USMNT that will get us through qualifying. My suspicion is that Caleb Porter was wanted as his new Joachim Loew, but he wasnt quite ready to leave Akron yet (thank god for soccer in NE Ohio). While Klinsy elevates Mexican soccer as a level above the US, Porter's U23s not only beat Mexico 2-0 but by all accounts ran circles around them.

Here's a theory, Klinsmann wants all these Germans on the team because they will play the way Loew's German team plays. He'll use as many of them as he can for now. Meanwhile, Caleb Porter is getting the future US stars playing the possesion attack oriented style that Klinsmann envisions.

4. Clevelandmo

Speaking of Herculez, Fifa.com has a very good article about him.
    http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=1594698.html
    Of note;
    and

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

That's what I've been thinking. These german-american players are very familiar to the way Klinsmann wants the team playing. Plus, a number of them are a step up in quality of their MLS counterparts.

6. Clevelandmo

And Hercules scored again last night against Seattle with a diagonal run and classy finish. As he said himself, you can only ignore the ball ending up in the back of the net for so long.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

8. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

9. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Cue Eddie Murphy from the Nutty Professor...'Hercules, Hercules..." Gomez w/2 more goals to push Santos to top of the Mexican Primera.

10. SoCalJoe

11. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Didn't see Eddie Johnson on that list. Speaking of, does he really need to be used as an experience tag? I :angry-cussingblack: hate being listed as Eddie Johnson.

12. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I don't see how he can be ignored any longer - DUDE CAN FLAT OUT SCORE. Hasn't really had THAT many opportunities at the USMNT level and Lord knows we could use a poacher or two. His run at WC 2010 pulled the man off of Bradley who then...well, we know what happened. :banana-guitar:

With Aguedelo, Boyd and Burnbury joining the Olympic set up this summer, his chances of being recalled have to be high...Snoop high.

Beasley scored for Puebla in that match as well.

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Have you not seen our EJ watch thread? He's a Seattle Sounder now. And the only way to get rid of the EJ tag is to post more. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

14. SoCalJoe

Jozy got the start and went a solid 76 minutes in AZ's 2-1 win over Valencia in the first leg of their Europa League quarterfinal.

We hardly mention Steve Cherundolo in this thread, but Dolo just keeps going about his business. The Hannover captain went the full 90 in their EL quarterfinal loss at Athletico Madrid 2-1, but the away goal gives them a shot to advance in the home leg. What an amazing and underrated career he's had in Germany.

15. tim

tim Active Member

'Dolo's a rock. As solid and reliable a player as I can recall in the American ranks. Ironically, the fact that we aren't mentioning his name much shows just how good he is. It's become expected.

16. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Testimonial material when he hangs 'em up - I could see him staying at Hannover as a coach.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Eric Lichaj got a goal and an assist against The Undead on Saturday in his first start of the season.

Not too shabby

18. Clevelandmo

No one mentioned that Gomez scored again in his last game. That's nine goals in seven games for him. Klinsmann stopped ignoring him and issued a congrats on twitter.

19. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Jozy also scored this weekend.

20. Clevelandmo

Jozy scored again yesterday, now has 18 goals this season. I havent seen the goal yet but apparently it was a rocket. I have to think he'll be in the Prem soon.