1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I thought that I was the only one who didnt hate Eric Wynalda's commentary, but apparently I'm not alone. Just read the Beers with Wynalda interview on this sight. I find his opinions entertaining and I learn more about soccer from his commentary. I also like the way he clearly comes off as supporting the US MNT. I think that's important because too many Americans dont realize that in the rest of the world you support your national team. You can appreciate Brazil's game but you dont wear the yellow shirt and go around saying youre pulling for Brazil in the WC.

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

That interview with Wynalda is like a precious diamond, and the glimmer of it never fades as it continues to undeniably attract the masses to this uniquely fantastic Club and website.

(Any chance I could get a free FFC Home Shirt out of it, guys? Guys?? Guys?!?!?!) ;-)

3. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I admit - I hate Wynalda's commentary. Too opinionated, and I disagree with most of his opinions.

I'm sure he's a nice enough guy, but ...

4. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: RE: Wynalda

Really? Agree or disagree, I think opinionated commentators make for great TV (Keith Hernandez, say), and obviously for great website interviews. :D

5. Fern72

Fern72 Member

A month later, but i thought i would reply to this. I'am of Mexican decent and i catch hell from people for supporting the US. It tick's me off when they call me traitor, to who? I was born here and have no ties to Mexico. My father was very clear in that aspect, he told me that the US is your country you support it. Sorry, i had to vent :x :x :x

6. Clevelandmo

I like your venting Fernando. I get ticked when the US plays Mexico in Chicago and the stadium is filled with Mexico fans.

7. Fern72

Fern72 Member

Thanks clevelandmo, you can imagine what it's like when they play here in Los Angeles. If it wasn't for Sam's Army, i would be one lonley supporter.

8. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

jmh. I prefer my color commentators to just bring up useful tidbits of information and comment on the game; Wynalda has far too many tirades that distract from what is going on on the pitch.

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I agree, somewhat.

Wynalda is good on the studio desk. He proved that during the 06 WC. In the booth, he seems to feel he has to fill air.

10. BC

BC New Member

I think Wynalda is great. He tells it like it is and only pulls the punches that the FCC would fine him for. I'd love to hear an uncensored version of his game commentary.

11. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I enjoy Wynalda's enthusiasm for the game. He makes me feel not so bad about being so die hard and rabid during certain matches.

12. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Hey! Pettyfog and me agree on somethin' :D

13. jmh

jmh New Member

Hmm. I see your point, and I think that's common to a lot of American soccer broadcasters, that they feel like they have to fill dead air.

14. Clevelandmo

andypalmer, I agree that he has tirades, but I find them entertaining. I imagine I may tire of them, but the fact is he's just not really on enough to do so. I also agree that it would be more useful to hear what he thinks about the soccer being played. Like Johnny Mac does with tennis. Now he is one great commentator.

15. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

The best example of the dichotomy is the aftermath of Franek's interview, more punters than not both on blogs and bigsoccer said they liked Wynalda more than they had.

MOST had hated his game commentary but when his desk work during the WC was brought up, they said he was head and shoulders above Foudy.

Here's a list of various media on the interview.

Most are in archive purgatory now but you can get an idea.

San Diego Union Tribune:

16. EricD

EricD New Member

I read that article (and other related ones) for the first time last night (I cannot believe that I did not see anything about this at the time - I must have glossed over it). Nice work. I am glad there is someone out there trying to fight for what we need in the US. I like Wynalda even more now. Sometimes Wynalda goes on tangents, but he seems to be getting into a better rhythm with Tommy Smyth. I look forward to the Thursday night games especially in HD - looking forward to FSC to start HD.

With regards to Rome, I used to listen to him religiously back in the early 1990s which was before he started discussing the game, but I rarely listen now. The clones and redundancy get old, and I got tired of him hammering soccer. He has no knowledge of the game, and he is too stubborn to really take a look at it. Even after UCSB (his alma mater and mine) won the national championship, he still had crappy things to say. I almost hope he mentions soccer because it seems to expose his stupidity about the game.

17. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member