WPS Thread: Skorts?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Spencer, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

x

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  2. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

RE: Skorts?

If they were actually skirts, I'd be impressed. Skorts I've always hated since high school. False advertising. And the opposite of the mullet. Potential party in the front, clearly stodgy (and not flattering) business in the back.

3. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Woah Woah Woah - Wait a minute... they are really going to wear those?

AhhhhhhhhhHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

That is hilarious - there is no way it will last beyond the first season.

If you wear short skirts, nair for short skirts!

That being said - I am not a woman, and I am not offended - it is kind of weird with shinguards - but strangely hot at the same time.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I started at end of thread.

'Couldnt be that bad', I thought.

WRONG!
    They remind of aprons. If that's the object make 'em lacy and french maid-ish.

5. Jensers

Jensers New Member

What's in a wrap?

Wednesday, February 25, 2009
    By: womensprosoccer.com

As part of the WPS uniform unveiling on Tuesday in Manhattan, PUMA presented several elements aside from just the uniforms in their WPS performance collection including the WPS Official Match Ball, team-colored backpacks and PUMA performance boots with a special white/jasmine green colorway.
    (Howard C. Smith / isiphotos.com)
    The Los Angeles Sol's Johanna Frisk models a wrap.

One of the more unique elements of the WPS collection put on display are “ wraps” that were made as an additional piece for the Los Angeles Sol, Boston Breakers, FC Gold Pride and Sky Blue FC. It’s a complement to the shorts and definitely something different.

They are completely optional and will not be worn in games. The wraps are removable and can be detached from the shorts with easy to remove buttons.

PUMA’s wrap takes cues from the trends in female sports gear today, as well as fashion, such as the popularity of technical running skirts. The wraps were designed with the female player in mind.

It uses the same technical performance elements as the rest of the uniforms, so it could be worn to and from the field, after practice -- and if a player really wants to, they can wear it on the field, too, in training or warm-up.

This, of course, comes from PUMA, the world’s leading sportlifestyle brand, that always does something a little different and fun as part of its collections. In 2004, PUMA unveiled a one-piece uniform for the Cameroon National Team at the 2004 Africa Cup of Nations. In 2007, PUMA created a special gold golfing shoe as well as camouflage golf accessories like hat, shoes and bags for its top golfers as a color option they could wear. Around the 2008 Beijing Olympics, the world’s fastest man – Usain Bolt of Jamaica – had a casual running shoe created for him by PUMA that included his own handwritten notes on it.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The first thread on WPS and it's about trashing their apparal selections? Sigh. And, Jensers, are you really wishing the league ill?

7. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

Bad, bad, bad!!
    Those are both players from my local team (Leslie Osborne & Tina DiMartino), I don't know which is worse the skort or the name FC Gold Pride. :?

I do like the shirt/jersey though, the black & tan ain't bad. 8)

8. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Wait, Leslie Osborne will be playing in the Bay Area??

F' the Quakes, I'm FC Gold Pu...uh, Pride all the way!!

9. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

So much ado about nothing then based on Jensers article. Not sure I see why that would be offensive. Playing in bikinis on the other hand...

How long did the first women's league last?

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

just long enough to lose us dominance in the world game. I think about 4 years.

11. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Ill Will???

Oh - I see... When I said it wont last beyond a year?

I was talking about the skirt. At that point I thought they were wearing them in the matches and I meant that the skirt would not last one season before they go back to shorts.

Then I found the article that I posted... Go ahead and wrap it up if it is a non-match accessory. Just let me help with the unwrapping.

(Sorry - I couldnt resist the perfect moment to be a pig)

As to the league itself. I am not interested in watching it... But I am happy they have it.

12. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

Re: RE: Skorts?

lol ... though I'm ashamed to admit it, I kind of agree. :lol:

13. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I think they are kind of cute, probably because they're shorter than the shorts they wear for the US WNT. I like that because I dont think the women should wear long baggy shorts just because the men do.

I also like it when I get to go on a site that is mostly men and read posts that are about fashion and cooking.

14. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Lol! Classic.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Spencer, Jensers, et. al. I will watch every match I can. I love women's footie. I think the quality will be unsurpassed, but I agree that the league won't last. And that's not because of an inferior product or bad marketing or lack of interest. It's because there is huge shrinkage in disposable income right about now, and it's a horrible time to start a venture like this. Sad really.

16. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I strongly suspect that the WPS will get some money for international viewership. For better or worse, the WPS is the premier women's league in the world. For the English or Brazilians to see their women stars means they'll be watching the WPS.

No, I'm not getting carried away and thinking big money here, but it will all help. I wouldn't be surprised if half of the games that Kelly Smith plays in are televised in the UK.

17. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I took my girls (4 and 5) to the Washington Freedom home opener. There were just over 5000 at the game, including 50+ Chicago fans.

The bummer was that there was no child pricing ($20 for my 4-year old seemed a bit stiff), but considering that over half the fans there appeared to be <14, I guess it's understandable.

Overall, decent atmosphere, though not a "soccer match" one (i.e., crowd chants were more like you get a youth games than even MLS games).

Oh, and no skorts were evident :)

18. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I'm debating going to the game when St. Louis plays against the LA team. I'm curious if Marta is worth the price of admission. Has anyone seen her play in person?

19. Jensers

Jensers New Member

5000 at a match and $20 a pop...

Thats 100K.

20 match season
    Thats 2 mil.

I am sure they lose half (maybe more) of that on costs outside of salaries.

Is 1 million enough to cover salaries? 23 players is around 43k each.

You would have to add in any TV/Advertising money and other sources of income for the team/league - none of which I have any idea about.

This is all fuzzy math based on ignorant estimations, but you would think you could make it work on that.

20. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Did anyone catch the Washington Freedon - St Louis Atletica game last week? Check out the highlights here. Some vicious tackles going on in this one -- the CBs for St Louis were tough all game. Now, I was a defender, I'm all for a good old fashioned shoulder charge -- of which there were a few. I'm not for Abby Wambach pitching a fit, doing a two footed tackle, and breaking Daniela's leg -- she had scored both goals for StL up to that point. See the video at about the 2:05 mark. Wambach only got a yellow card. Wow.

And the WPS really showed how much they will not tolerate this kind of Joey Barton tackling -- Wambach got suspended for a whole game! I'll bet Daniela appreciates this as she sits on her ass for the next 6 months plus. Whether Wambach is one of the faces of the league or not, that's a poor move by the WPS hierarchy.