World Cup draw

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by rumstove, Dec 10, 2005.

1. rumstove

rumstove New Member

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I want VonBilly's draw. It will be tough for the US to get out of the group stages, especially given the team's European track record. But I think the US can do it.

And could England, Germany, and Spain get an easier draw?

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

The US got a very tough draw. On the other hand, Poland got a very favorable draw with Ecuador, Costa Rica and Germany. I will be disappointed if they do not make it to the knockout phase.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but I have to question Beckenbauer's statement that group C is the toughest.

Germany
    Costa Rica
    Poland
    Ecuador
    - Germany is home team... that's good for at LEAST one win, probably two. Ecuador wont go quietly. And Poland... imagine US chances playing in Canada.. next best thing to 'home'.

GROUP B
    England
    Paraguay
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Sweden
    - This is the weakest group, IMO... but it will turn into a catfight

GROUP C
    Argentina
    Ivory Coast
    Serbia & Montenegro
    Holland
    - Arg, and either serbia or holland

GROUP D
    Mexico
    Iran
    Angola
    Portugal
    - the weakest group

GROUP E
    Italy
    Ghana
    USA
    Czech Republic
    - I think Czech is the power, here, and the rest pretty equal. Ghana the dark horse.

GROUP F
    Brazil
    Croatia
    Japan
    Australia
    - in that order.

GROUP G
    France
    Switzerland
    South Korea
    Togo
    - Korea, may go bust

GROUP H
    Spain
    Ukraine
    Tunisia
    Saudi Arabia
    - Tunisia dark horse

5. DCDave

DCDave Member

I think Pettyfog makes sense with his analysis of Group A, but I am not qualified myself to rank the groups. The Washington Post has an excellent soccer, Steven Goff (whom the Post actually sent to Leipzig), and here is how he ranked the groups:

Group A: 5th
    Group B: 4th
    Group C: 1st
    Group D: 7th
    Group E: 2nd
    Group F: 3rd
    Group G: 6th
    Group H: 8th

He also ranked all of the teams. (He has the US at #13.) For his analysis, go to:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01992.html

(Note, free registration is required.)

6. McBride'sHeader

McBride'sHeader New Member

The US doesn't have a chance to get near their 02 WC run.
    England, on the other hand can make a run very far into the summer if they play their game...

7. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

Althought the English seemed to stumble a bit in the qualifiers it seems they will have an extremely talented team.

I'm with McB's H on this one.

8. Hengist

Hengist New Member

England and Germany have been drawn into easy groups and look set to avoid each other.This is a similar situation to when England hosted the finals in 1966 and led to accusations from the latin nations of an Anglo-Saxon carve up.Any bets to these charges resurfacing should the aforementioned teams meet in the final?.