Wigan v. Fulham

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Lyle, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Lyle

Lyle New Member

A very winnable game, but will be difficult after the international break. Wigan is playing better than a lot of people expected. Their defense is pretty solid and Emile Heskey is back in Team England. Should be a really close match, but away games don't get much easier than this. The JJB probably won't be sold out.

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Let's hope Healy is fit as I've read he's knacked up with the N.I. squad. The legend of Deuce will continue to grow at the JJB and Volzy needs a run out (Bairdsy had an OG this past weekend).

Niemi
    Volz Boca Stef Konch
    Davies Smertin Davis Ki-Hy
    Deuce
    Kamara

COYW, grab some road points, after all, there's no more Paul Jeweliooooooo.

3. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I doubt Volz starts as long as Baird is available. Sanchez is trying to build a back four and starting eleven and Baird is a part of that. Sanchez isn't going to mess that up by mixing in Volz. Sanchez isn't much of a tinkerer, I think.

4. nevzter

I agree with you, Lyle, however my objectivity flies out the window when it comes to Volz b/c he's so damn entertaining. That, and I don't think he'd be any worse than "The Troll" (that is my new nickname for Baird).

5. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Yeah, Baird looks very medieval I must say. Looks like a medival English longbowman or something.

6. nevzter

You are correct, sir! I knew I recognized him as an extra in Braveheart...

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I smell a Volzy/Murphy sighting on Sat. LS wanted a deeper squad for a couple of reasons, one of which was to ease the burden of int'l duties for his players. Baird played in Latvia (brutal own goal btw), then flew all the way to Iceland for NI's Euro qualifier. Volzy's been training w/Stefan, Konch et al. I got to think LS will sit all 3 of the lads (Baird, Healy, Davis)for this one. I'll be interested to see if Hughes who didn't play for NI is ready to give it a go.

I really want to be optimistic (and Koumas is questionable w/a foot problem), but it's been 2+ years of misery on the road. 3 pts isn't a lot to ask for is it??????? Aw, what the hell 2-1 to the good guys.

8. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Healy played for N.I. and will probably play tomorrow. I think we'll see Kamara and Dempsey up top.

You may be right about Sanchez giving Baird a break, but you want the same back four playing all of the Premiership games if possible.

9. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

is it me, or does the spurs match feel like 6 weeks ago?

i say 2-1 fulham. yes wigan have been playing hot, but they always start the season well (i'm almost certain they were in the top 10 for a short while last year, and were better the year prior). it'll be a good match, but sadly not televised.

personally, i'm seeing hobbit. he even has the height similarities.

10. USSOCCER10

USSOCCER10 New Member

Didnt Healy get hurt?

11. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

Fulham 2-0

Goals - Duece (55') & (88')

Duece stays on for the full 90

12. Lyle

Lyle New Member

He didn't train on Monday, but he trained on Tuesday. Some kind of thigh injury.

13. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I think this could be the perfect chance to get 3 on the road.

I need to believe LS is willing to sit Baird for a game and play someone else. EVERYONE knows he is the weakest link right now on the squad, and a glaring one at that. I like the guy and I hope he finds his form soon enough, but the beginning of the season is not the time for it.

My prediction

3 - 1. Good guys. Duece (36'), Smertin (58') and Healy (80' as a late substitute). And that Heskey will score one coming off a good match for England.

14. MartinDavid

MartinDavid New Member

I predict Fulham's defense finally show up... Good guys 1, Wigan Zero!

15. fulhamvt

fulhamvt New Member

I hate to pick against the good guys but until I see a win on the road I won't be predicting one. I say 1-1 draw. Fulham has to score late to tie it Boca with a goal off a corner in the 89th minute

16. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

2-1 Fulham win. Backline will be organized, midfield will be strong, and the ball with actually go into the back of the net!!!

:)

17. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Who will Brown stamp on first?

my guess is Davis or Smertin. who do you say?

18. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

RE: Who will Brown stamp on first?

I can see this one going either way, depends what kind of performance we put out.

BAIRD OUT! give him a rest, he cost N. Ireland big time on Saturday and he's been lousy for us.

I wouldn't mind seeing some new blood in the midfield for this one. Its been basically the same line-up since the start of the season. Davis and Davies have failed to do much for me. Be it Murphy, Seoul, or Cook if he can go, I think a small attempt at change is in order.

Any chance Hughes is ready to go for this one?

19. jmh

jmh New Member

I agree. Nobody is going to buy into the idea that this is a meritocracy and everyone need to work hard every day to earn their places in the squad if LS isn't willing to drop one of "his guys" when he's clearly playing poorly.

Niemi
    Volz - Stefanovic - Bocanegra - Konchesky
    Davies - Smertin - Davis - Seol
    Dempsey
    Kamara

Keller, Hughes, Baird, Bouazza, Healy

20. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I would bet on Baird playing unless he's hurt. Sanchez is going to give him all season to bed in I think. Volz is simply backup.