Why Not Us?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Russell, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Russell

Russell New Member

I actually put this post below on my blog fulhampatsfan.blogspot.com yesterday before the game today. This was a great win against ManU and hopefully we can use this momentum in the next two matches. Let me know your thoughts.
    Thanks
    FulhamPatsfan

Why Not Us?
    If you are not from the U.S. you might not be familiar with the Boston Red Sox. In 2004 the Red Sox had a slogan " Why Not Us" as they went to the Major League Baseball World Series. It had been 86 years since the Red Sox had won the World Series. They ended up winning the World Series in 2004.

In regards to Fulham I ask the question "Why Not Us"? Why can't Fulham improve on there 7th place position in last year's EPL? Why can't they progress in the Europa League and potentially contend?

I have heard on several Football Shows here in the U.S. and in England the same thoughts on Fulham. The team is usually described as a nice "small club" with a very good manager. I understand that Fulham has a small stadium and has limited funds. What I don't understand is why can't a well rounded team made up of good players compete and win against teams with more money and more high priced players?

Aston Villa is also described as a team with good players but not a deep enough squad to compete against the Big Four. If you look at the table Aston Villa currently stand fourth. I think they are holding there own.

When it comes to Fulham I see a team that seems to be putting it all together at the right time. We have 3 extremely hard games coming up. If they can grab between 4 -6 points in those 3 games we would be in very good shape.

I don't think the attitude for Fulham should be that we are happy to be where we are. We should strive for better. I will leave you again with the question WHY NOT US?

2. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Of course Fulham could go on and win the Europa League. They're in the knock out stages now, so anything is possible. Middlesbrough won the tournament not so long ago.

Fulham has very little hope of ever making the Champions League though. It could happen, but Fulham just isn't a big club... like the Boston Red Sox. They can't afford to compete year in and year out, and can only hope to have seasons like the one they're having now.

Of course some Sheikh could come in pay Man City like wages to Fulham players, but solely based on the club itself... it ain't happening. Craven Cottage ain't even bigger than Fenway Park.