Why I think the Crew are about to turn it around.

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Jun 14, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Cadged from the Crew MB and local paper..

- Sigi Opted out of any formal practice Tuesday and held a behind doors, 'come to jesus' meeting for several hours, in which it's said everyone let it all hang out. Yet there were no nasty comments leaked to anyone.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -

[​IMG]
    - Guillermo Barros Schelotto told his Argentine home town radio station that he's here for the long haul, he didnt come in thinking it would be easy and he's not about to quit on the team.

[​IMG]
    - Duncan Oughton, our Kiwi captain and, after Hejduk, #2 Crew surfer dude, said on the radio this morning about Kyle Martino.."At night he can be found wrestling cougars at the local watering hole".

I smell a win and a good run of results coming on!

2. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

just saw this thread....are they about to play RSL or something? :)

3. pettyfog

Nah... KC is coming in tomorrow {Wednesday} and they won a pyrrhic victory at Rev's by coming back to tie after being down 1-3.

I think it really does hinge on how we play the next two games. Two wins would mean the Rev's game really was the start of something

4. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: RE: Why I think the Crew are about to turn it around.

I don't think that's what "Pyrrhic victory" means. :tongue:

5. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

RE: Re: RE: Why I think the Crew are about to turn it around

well if they do play RSL you can count that as being one!!!

6. pettyfog

Umm... you're right.
    A victory that is offset by staggering losses.
    What I had in mind was that the Crew just stunk the place up for a large part of the game, the Rev's totally had the control, and the only bright spots were that they didnt totally lose their will to win.

But notice I DID spell it right without looking it up!
    heh.

7. jmh

jmh New Member

Indeed. I think that puts you in at least the 95th percentile of the internet. 8)

8. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Haha, well said jmh.

9. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I couldn't have been more excited watching the match on FSC last weekend. It showed tenacity I haven't seen from the Crew in some time. And I am really starting to be a big fan of Guillermo. Even I was at the point of yelling at the television to tell the players to give him the ball more.

Seemed like everytime he got the ball at his feet, something good could happen.

Now to do my typical American thing, I need to check out Boca Juniors for more players we can grab if they all play this good!

10. Team_of_McBrides

Boca have some talented players and it still amazes me that Guilermo changed the Crew's fortunes so quickly.

11. pettyfog

Crew fans have become so cynical that a "Bye-bye, Guillermo!" thread started after he'd been in about three games because we were sure he'd quit or retire in disgust.

But he still views it as a challenge and has some positive things to say..

He knows he was brought in to be a leader and inspirational mentor, and he's sticking with it.

sidenote1 Our BS emissary keeping Crew fans up to date on his Arg. coverage is a River Plate fan living in New York. Go figger.

sidenote2. There's now more coverage on the Crew in Argy media than in Columbus

Hmmm... maybe a "CrewArgentina{dot}com"

12. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Why I think the Crew are about to turn it ar

RSL is playing Boca Jrs? Man, whoever they have working in their offices must be a connected genius to get games against China and Boca Juniors. While they seem to be useless games, those kinds of matches can really bring needed money and attention to RSL. I hope they do well in a few seasons. I have a strong urge to root for the newer teams because they are the true measure of how strong the league is growing.

13. pettyfog

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Why I think the Crew are about to turn i

Dont expect to see the starters... except MAYBE Palermo, then only if they also fit Columbus in.

Though I'm in favor of Columbus not doing a single friendly other than Aston Villa this season. And there's no way we can get out of that one, though I bet sigi would like to.

14. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I think we should give McBride a testimonial against Fulham. Two of my wishes granted in one 90 minute period. To complete the trifecta - dinner with Hugh Heffner and free stay at the Mansion.

:D

15. Team_of_McBrides

Lofty dream QD, but it is worth a shot. I'll put in a good word for you to Heff.

16. pettyfog

Dancing Bananas

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Never mind Don stole my thunder on that. I'm about to take off the virtual paper bag!! As I said, the Rev's draw showed something and I'm heading off to Home Depot Center, Saturday night, to see if I'm right.

Some notables:

Shelotto has finally gotten the Crew some influence on the Ref's... he lobbies so much it's embarrassing, but it works.

Crew scoring first 7 games - 5
    Crew goals last five games - 12

Schelotto has assists in last 4 games.

Eddie Gaven having been benched for his indifference has come on in the last 2 games playing much like he did in his first year with the MetroScum.

Schelotto on what he likes best about Crew fans:
    "They show up"

Duncan Oughton is the obvious choice for captain this year, and playing D Mid has really shown he can handle the ball much better than we saw in his early years. But if Schelotto sticks around next season he's a lock for team captain. He already is the de-facto field general.

I cant wait to see the triple threat combination of Schelotto, Moreno and Herron. So far we've only seen that briefly. When it becomes the norm, look out!!!!!

When you look at the influence of GBS on the loser Crew, and if you consider that he is about 95% the equal of Beckham, and plays the same role then you HAVE to think the Gals are going to rip up the league once
    he settles in.

17. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

Re: Dancing Bananas

Indeed. That is why I am excited about the coming of Beckham. I could care less about how many posters he sells or any of that crap. But after seeing Guillermo's influence on the Crew already, and hearing about what Angel is doing in NY, you do have to start to think they may be on to something with these guys boosting the players around them.

And one for the home team ... :banana:

18. Team_of_McBrides

RE: Re: Dancing Bananas

I have always rated Angel highly and it really disappointed me to see him fall out with Villa. He seems to possess a poise that escapes so many inside the 18 yard box, a classy finisher and links up well with his nex attacking partnership of Altidore and Mathis.

Angel for MVP.

19. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

hell yeah!!! i'm planning on both the Everton and Boca Juniors match....can't wait!!!

20. Team_of_McBrides

Great to hear omsdogg. Hopefully I will be able to stop by and say hey. Should be some great matches.