WhitesBhoy's 23 Tickets to South Africa

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by WhitesBhoy, May 26, 2010.

?

Who stays?

1. Buddle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Rogers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bedoya

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Torres

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Gomez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Bob's Wild Card

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Beasley looked stronger and faster than usual (lately). I think he gets a ticket.

In:
    Donovan
    Dempsey
    Howard
    Bradley
    Bocanegra
    Cherundolo
    Gooch
    Spector
    Holden
    Altidore
    Edu
    Hahnemann
    Guzan
    DeMerit (as long as he can see)
    Clark
    Feilhaber

Probable:
    Torres
    Goodson
    Beasley
    Gomez
    Buddle
    Rogers
    Ching
    Bedoya

Gone:
    Marshall
    Kljestan
    Pearce
    Findley
    Bornstein
    Johnson

Technically, I guess I have 24 tickets right now, but one will have to go (or stay)! So really, only one spot up in the air in the probables. Who out of those would you leave behind? For me, it's probably between Buddle and Bedoya, and I think the Bob likes youth.

2. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

RE: WhitesBhoy

OK, forgive a rookie question...
    Is it absolute gospel that a team brings 3 goal keepers? What are the chances of having two goalies injured in one tourney. Seems like 2 keepers would be safe enough, and would allow some greater flexibility in choosing field players.

3. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

After seeing Gooch limping on the sidelines last night after his flat-footed performance, I don't think he's a lock.

4. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Feel free to register that vote as "Bob's Wild Card".

5. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Re: RE: WhitesBhoy

It is gospel.

6. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

RE: Re: RE: WhitesBhoy

Yeah, I should google these things before I post my stupid questions. FIFA apparently mandates 3 keepers on the roster.

7. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

RE: Re: RE: WhitesBhoy

Voting closes at 12:59PM Eastern/11:59AM Central. 9:59 on the Left Coast.

As they say in Chicago, vote early,...and often.

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: WhitesBhoy

You also forgot to add for the ChiTown folks to make sure that their older relatives (living or otherwise) get to the polls also.

The idea of Boca having to move inside is a distinct possibility, so BB will pick Bornstein for cover (get the barf bags ready if he actually gets in a match). If you consider Rogers and Torres equal players (I like Torres slightly more anyway) than it won't be lost on Bradley where US Soccer is trying to build its fanbase. That leaves Bedoya to get that last pink slip.

Wow is our backline in shambles...
    Boca: Hernia surgery and tbh (I know it's sacrilegious to say this on here) he is an average player at best anyway. He lost his job at FFC for a reason.
    Demerit: He's having depth perception problems....ugh
    Gooch: Let's not write him off yet, but obviously no where near 100%.
    Bornstein: Stinks
    Pearce: See Bornstein (except is slower)
    Dolo: Please oh please don't get hurt
    Spector: see Dolo
    Goodson: Hard to put too much trust in the kid, but no choice at this point
    Marshall: Won't be on the plane (which kind of tells you his ability, sorry Fog), but wouldn't be a shock if he gets the last minute call-up due to injury.

**And from the "I can't let it go until Rongen gets fired department" our best CB who wanted to play for us plays for Serbia**

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Bradley's 23

the final 23:

guzan
    hahnemann
    howard
    boca
    bornstein
    dolo
    demerit
    goodsen
    onyewu
    spector
    beasley
    bradley
    clark
    dempsey
    donovan
    edu
    feilhaber
    holden
    torres
    altidore
    buddle
    findley
    gomez

10. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Oh S#$T, somebody hide the sharp objects from Mo...NO CHING. Really stunned Findley got the nod over the only holding forward we have.

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

RE: Bradley's 23

Can someone please tell Bradley to leave Bornstein behind and take Ching instead based on last night's performance...and Findley?

12. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

RE: Bradley

WTF. Seriously, can't wait for Klinnsman.

13. EricD

EricD New Member

Findley was the surprise to me. I have not seen it at the national level yet (with the word yet being operative for South Africa - hopefully).

14. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Bradley's 23

Then we would only have six defenders going to SA and three of them still have lingering injuries. I don't like Bornstein like the next guy, but he is sort of forced to go with all the injuries in the back. Plus, I even think 7 might be too few considering how bad Gooch looked last night.

Findley over Ching is a head scratcher, although I guess Bob wants his speed (even if his first touch is bad).

Glad to see Herculez make the team. I think he will do well as the second half "super sub" since he scored all those goals in Mexico (and last night) while coming off the bench. It takes skill to be inserted into a game and be able to play right away. Some players need to time to work their way into a game.

15. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

looks like I had 'em all except for the two forwards. I had Ching and Johnson, instead Bob took Findley and Buddle.

http://www.fulhamusa.com/index.php?name ... pic&t=7095

Other than that I was spot on. I am also in awe that Findley made it, even as an RSL fan. I was reading the Bocanegra chat on ESPN and he said that he thinks Findley could have a break out at the Cup and that he is dangerous taking on guys 1v1, and I'm thinking any time he does that his touch is so bad that the ball goes flying away out of control. Hopefully he proves me wrong though I don't suspect he'll get the opportunity.

16. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

Re: RE: Bradley

Truer words... :x

17. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

RE: Re: RE: Bradley

First Krappa and now this. I dont know how many more hits I can take.

A dark cloud has seriously descended over the US MNT. Anyone notice how Bob Bradley resembles the evil chancellor from Star Wars - pre and post sabercution, depending upon the lighting. I didnt used to think Bradley was evil but his fear of respect, experience, duty, and commitment has poisoned him. The Lord of the Ching has been forsaken and the Force is being threatened.

18. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I'm with you Mo, Ching looked good last night, is healthy and helped carry this squad to the world cup (so did Heydude, but you get my point). I'm fairly disappointed in his omission, but maybe Bob will be vindicated in his decision.

I don't know how Findley or Buddle made it over Ching - well I do, speed, but if you can do fuck-all with the ball (Findley) it doesn't matter how fast a player is.

If this squad were entirely healthy, I'd be pumped - as it currently stands - I'm friggin' nervous as all get-out of a 2006-esque performance.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So, of the four American strikers in South Africa, the one with the most caps is Jozy? Really? Findlay and Gomez seem to have the same role [pace off the bench], but there's nobody there to do the gut work, to intimidate an opposing CB. I can't believe Ching isn't going. Regardless of Bradley's decision, Mo was right and I was wrong: Ching should not only have gone but should have started alongside Jozy.

Speaking of Bob, I'm not jumping on the "please let's get somebody who speaks English with an accent" bandwagon on the basis of this pick. If we do poorly in this World Cup, it'll be primarily down to the debilitating injuries to Davies and Gooch. If we do well -- and by that I mean make the quarters -- then it'll be because our defense held together barely, and because Donovan and Dempsey dominated.

In either case, as soon as the USA is eliminated, the knives will be out for Bob, and I'm sure he'll be gone. There's a strong voice in this country constantly whining that we don't have the ability to produce a good coach, but please, NOT Klinsmann. He's the Sarah Palin of football: as soon as he starts getting criticized, he'll be off to look for something easier to do that pays better.

On to South Africa.

20. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I agree that the U.S. can do better than Klinsmann (however, I wouldn't ever compare anybody to Mrs. Palin) - I believe that if he were appointed, it'd almost be "settling," but at least settling for somebody who has a pedigree.

Hopefully, the USSF can splash some cash after the WC, and thereafter, see what kind of big fish will come floating to the top...if nobody better than Klinsmann wants the job despite being offered some payola, then we can all assume US Soccer is the leper of the world footie community. However, the young talent the U.S. has coming through its ranks in the next 4 years, when combined with the old guard that will still be around, might tempt some outstanding South American or Euro to take the plunge with us. I've always been fine with the potential hired gun / mercenary coach as long as the U.S. produced results.

Until then, all I gotta say is: USA! USA!! USA!!!