What is your favorite ...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Jan 3, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm a little bored waiting for the FedEx man to arrive and waiting for SOMEBODY to sign SOMEBODY, soooo

What's your all time favorite:

Movie: Treasure of the Sierra Madre -- I know much of it isn't politically correct, but it is brilliant. There's an all-time great supporting performance by Walter Huston.

Book: The Old Man and the Sea -- definitely not the best novel ever; probably not even Hemingway's best, but the only piece of fiction I know that cannot be improved by adding or deleting a single word.

Sports team: Although I admire the Green Bay and Celtic dynasties of my yoot -- mid-50s to mid-60s -- I have to pick the Baltimore Orioles of the early 80s -- culminating in the 1983 World Series. Those of you who live in Boston, New York, Chicago, or LA don't know what it's like for a guy from a minor league city to live through his first pennant race in his late 30s.

Musical outfit: The Beatles. Nobody else comes close.

Song: Rock: "Won't Get Fooled Again" -- the Who; Jazz vocal: "It Never Entered My Mind," Johnny Hartman; Opera: "Nessun Dorma" -- Pavarotti

TV Series: English: The Lotus Eaters or The Sweeny -- US: The Wire

anyone else? Feel free to add categories!

2. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Movie: Tough question, because I am an eclectic and like a wide range of films. If I had to narrow it down to one style or genre it would have to be anything Wes Andersen creates. Some great stuff.

Book: Bible is an easy choice, but outside of that I would say Among the Thugs.

Sports Team: Fulham and everything else pales in comparisson. Chicago Bears are up there though.

Band: Pink Floyd is tops and a few newer age bands I enjoy would be The Used and Incubus.

Song: "Love Hurts" off the Light Grenades album or "Vitamin" off S.C.I.E.N.C.E.

TV Series: Entourage. Can't get enough of it.

Food: Stir-Fry Broccoli... delicious.

3. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Movie: tough one. there are two many. let me say a few then. I like the Karate Kid (first one only), all three Bourne movies, most everything with Jack Black in it, Hunt for Red October ("mossst shubmarines don't react well ta bullutsss Mr. Ryan"), and finally Sound of Music. Laugh at me all you want!

Book: The Elfstones of Shannara. I'm a big sci-fi/fantasy guy.

Sports team: Boston Celtics from the mid to late 80's. Bird, McHale, Parrish, Ainge, DJ, Reggie Lewis...loved 'em

Musical outfit: Hmmm...how bout any 80's butt rock hair band.

Song: "Burning Love" by Elvis

TV Series: This is a toss up. I like Lost, 24, Scrubs, and The Office, and of course Band of Brothers. They are all great!

Food: everything but tomatoes, raw olives, red peppers, cilantro, and celery.

Season: I like the Spring the best. Wish it was always spring.

Beach or Mountains: Mountains.

4. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Movie: Weekend, Swingers and The Seventh Seal

Book: Tender is the Night and Death in Venice

Sports Team: Fulham (duh)

Musical Group: Jens Lekman and Shearwater

Song: "Near a Garden" by Shearwater

TV Series: The Wire

Food: Depends on my mood

Season: Fall

Beach or Mountains: BOTH!

5. terrinh73

terrinh73 Member

Movie: Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back

Book: In Cold Blood

Sports team: Duh...however, I also love The Braves. Sorry.

Musical outfit: The Smiths (amongst many others)...The Beatles are almost too perfect for this world.

Song: Wow..."There is a Light that Never Goes Out" is probably my favorite, but there are too many to list!

TV Series: The Office...although I am partial to The Amazing Race

Season: Fall. Pollen is intolerable in the spring, although spring in Atlanta is amazing!

Beach or Mountains: Beach!

Food: my grandmother's tamales :)

Back to my grading marathon...**sigh** :(

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Movie: Shawshank Redemption and most Harrison Ford movies.

Movie Quote: Shawshank Redemption - " I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up DOES rejoice. Still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. I guess I just miss my friend."

Book: Lord of the Rings. I'm also am a big sci-fi/fantasy guy.

Sports team by sport: Colts, Hoosiers(basketball), Cubs, and Fulham

Band: Eagles followed closely by Queen

Song: "Hammer to Fall" by Queen

TV Series: SG-1

Food: Steak hot off my own grill!

Season: Early Fall

Beach or Mountains: Beach

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Sorry, guys; I was imprecise. I meant sports team OTHER than FFC, of course. I see there's been some new categories, so ...

Food: HatterDon-smoked pork ribs with salad, toubouli, and oven-roasted sweet potato fries. Dos Equiis Amber

Beach or Mountains: Mountains

Season: We only have summer here, but late Spring in MN and late September in England's Lake District

Movie quote: it varies; today its: "Will someone get this walking carpet out of my way?" SW IV

8. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Movie Quote: where do I start at with this one? I could go one for ages...so i guess I'll just go with this one...

"I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this...That John Denver is full of @#$@ man!

9. terrinh73

terrinh73 Member

Movie Quote- anything from Raising Arizona!

I'll go with this one:
    "Do these blow up into funny shapes?"
    "No. Unless round is funny."

10. terrinh73

terrinh73 Member

HD- here's a SW V quote for you...

Leia- "Captain, being held by you is hardly enough to get me excited"

Han- "Sorry, sweetheart. I haven't got time for anything else!"

Priceless!

11. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Movie: Beauty and the Beast, although I am impressed by timmyg's Seventh Seal pick

Book: The Game

Sports team: The Bears, obviously, and oh yeah...Fulham

Musical outfit: NOFX and any other punk band of my early youth

Song: The Decline - NOFX

TV Series: The Office (American version) is absolutely hilarious

Season: Definately Winter, I am from Northern Illinois after all...give me 0 degrees over 100 anyday

Food: Pizza, sausage, Giordano's to be exact

12. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Movie: Highlander, Four Weddings and a Funeral.

Book: Trafalar (David Howarth), Hitch Hiker Guide To The Galaxy (Douglas Adams).

Sports team: Surrey CCC, Quins.

Musical outfit: The Beatles, Queen, Pink Floyd.

Song: Hammer To Fall (Queen), White Russia (Marillion), One Night On The Bare Mountain (Mussorgsky), Asleep (The Smiths).

TV Series: Yes (Prime) Minister, The Sweeney, The Young Ones, Black Adder.

13. BarryP

BarryP New Member

GBFC we could hang out! Watching Highlander and listening to a little Queen sounds like a good night to me. Never did I expect anyone else to list "Hammer to Fall" as their favorite song!

14. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Hi Barry,

I love loads of different Queen songs, but Hammer to Fall is constantly my fav, closely followed by death on two legs and sail away sweet sister. I am always happy to spend a night over a good bottle of wine listening to music and chatting.

15. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

MovieImpossible, but here are some not listed yet. Breaker Morant, Chariots of Fire, Man From Snowy River, It's a Wonderful Life (dont care how sappy it is), Groundhog Day, My Cousin Vinny

Book A Civil Action, Page Smith's 2 Volume historical work A New Age Now Begins-A People's History of the American Revolution

Sports Team Los Angeles Dodgers prior to the sale to Murdoch

Musical Outfit The Beatles

Song Impossible but here are some: Long and Winding Road, An American Tune (S & G), Natures Law, Runaway Train

TV Series The Simpsons

food Thai Spicy Beef with Basil

beach or mountains tired of the beach so mountains

Movie quote Movie? how about real life "it depends upon what your definition of "is" is." If it has to be movies - "are you going to eat your fat" from Caddyshack or almost any line from Talledega Nights like "no, I seriously did not know that". How about Life of Brian "welease wodderwick"

16. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

MovieImpossible, but here are some not listed yet. Breaker Morant, Chariots of Fire, Man From Snowy River, It's a Wonderful Life (dont care how sappy it is), Groundhog Day, My Cousin Vinny

Book A Civil Action, Page Smith's 2 Volume historical work A New Age Now Begins-A People's History of the American Revolution

Sports Team Los Angeles Dodgers prior to the sale to Murdoch

Musical Outfit The Beatles

Song Impossible but here are some: Long and Winding Road, An American Tune (S & G), Natures Law, Runaway Train

TV Series The Simpsons

food Thai Spicy Beef with Basil

beach or mountains tired of the beach so mountains

Movie quote Movie? how about real life "it depends upon what your definition of "is" is." If it has to be movies - "are you going to eat your fat" from Caddyshack or almost any line from Talledega Nights like "no, I seriously did not know that". How about Life of Brian "welease wodderwick"

17. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

Movie: Fletch, Pulp fiction

Book: tough, usually what I just read so The Dirt: Motley Crue. Being from Mississippi, any unbiased Civil War book.

Sports Team: Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles, Braves, Broncos, Colorado Mammoth Lacrosse

Musical Outfit: Alice n chains, Public Enemy, Primus, Flinghammer, North Mississippi Allstars

Song: Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos (PE), Mr Knowitall (primus)

TV Series: Office, How I met your mother, deadliest catch

food: Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, duh!

beach or mountains: Mountains

Movie quote Movie? "there's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet." Raising Arizona. "Maunre truck jacknifed on the Santa Anna, godawful mess, should have seen my shoes. whew." Fletch

18. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

Here goes, rapid fire...

Movie: Airplane & Raiders of the Lost Ark

Book: The Bible

Sports Team: California Angels (they're not in stink'n L.A.), San Jose Sharks & of course the Cottagers

Band: BoDeans & The Smithereens

Song: Blood & Roses (one of the great basslines in a song)

TV Show: Red Dwarf (Smeg Off!)

Food: Yes, please!

Season: Fall

Beach/Mountains: Mountains

Movie Quote: "We're putting on the foil" Jeff Hanson, Slapshot and "We are thinking of adopting, I've had my eye on this 17 year old Korean girl" Tom Hanks, Bachelor Party.

19. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Sports team; FULHAM no contest

Movie; really hard to say but I'll say Casablanca

Book; toughy, prolly 1984

TV series, I don't do alot of these, prolly Scrubs

Music; I have very little depth to my music taste as of yet but I'll say Fratellis

20. dave2d2

dave2d2 New Member

Movie: Star Wars Episodes 4-6

Book: Can't pick a favorite so many.

TV Show: Jeopardy

Bands: The Cure, The Shins, Depeche Mode, Idlewild to name a few

Sports Teams: New York Mets, NY Jets, NJ Nets, NJ Devils, and of course Fulham FC

Food: Chinese, Italian, Matzoh Ball Soup

Beach or Mountains: Mountains