We ain't ready for Europe, sez Woy

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SteveM19, Apr 14, 2009.

1. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

AARGH! Why not us? Would the EU collapse?

I do realize there is the small matter of his being correct though, at least now. Strengthening the team in quality and quantity is a tall order. Any thoughts on how it could be done, aside from MAF spending every pound he ever made?

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: We ain

That's exactly the problem. Roy isnt stupid. When it affects the bigger clubs' league play and their managers comment on it, that's not just excuses.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yeah, so now that we're safe, let's decide which games we're going to throw in order to finish 8th but not 7th.

This is so much bullshit. We had to win our last three away matches last season just to survive in 17th place, and this was a season with two quick exits from cup competitions and no European matches.

I don't expect us to win the fekkin thing, but if it means that we don't go all out for maximum points for the rest of the season, then what the hell are we playing for in the first place?

There's lively discussions about this all over the place on this one. Glad it arrived here.

4. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I think it's just coach talk. I think he knows the best way to not to disappoint people is to lower the expectations. On the inside I think Roy wants Europe bad.

5. Flamingcokecans

Flamingcokecans New Member

To be fair here, Roy never said we where going to throw games.. nor did he say that we would not be excited about being awarded a Europe spot. He is the coach, he is supposed to "expect" success... who wants a coach that gets all giddy at achieving his goals? He is definitely right, and if you read it carefully, you can tell that if we do get it, we will focus first on staying above relegation and second on the tournament - which is right where I feel we should be.

6. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Sounds to me like Roy is publicly making his case to MAF to open the purse strings a bit and let him upgrade the roster.

7. jmh

jmh New Member

If not the Manchester United of the South, then at least the Everton of the South, perhaps?

8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I'd be very happy if FFC get into the Europa League this year.

As we all know, nothing is guaranteed in this league year to year and Fulham could very well be in a relegation battle next year even without Europe.

As ol' Janis said: get it while you can.

9. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Roy is the master of 'under promising' and 'over-delivering' as alluded to by Brad. He likes to set low expectations.

I say 'screw it' go for Europe, play the bench and reserves with a few regulars rotated.....nobody says you have to get there and win, just get there. This keeps the starting squad fresh for league play and a chance to re-qualify and needed game minutes for the up and comers. Who says you have to win?

10. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Any word on the payouts for this version of UEFA?

If Woy can put that add'l money toward depth and focus on league play (thus qualifying again), eventually you may see a side strong enough to put an effort to advance in Europa. Easier said than done obviously, but whatever money FFC gets is that much more money than they had.

I don't view it as a negative and would like to think our fanbase won't go Villa on him when/if he were to field a subpar side.

11. Lyle

Lyle New Member

That'd be nice. Tottenham is really the Everton of the South though. Similar sized clubs and all. I'd like to see Fulham become the fourth best team in London maybe, and surpass West Ham. However, West Ham has a larger fan base than Fulham and they've got more history as well, and their renowned youth program.

12. Lyle

Lyle New Member

This might be the best way to look at it. Stringing together a couple of top 10 seasons in a row will be difficult... and hasn't ever happened before.

13. nevzter

14. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Keep in mind, too that, if we finish 7th, Fulham will get $10M more in TV money than they did last year. That's at least one journeyman player or a good chunk of a good one.

15. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Thanks Andy. Good point.

Speaking of more revenue. Does anyone have any news, or inside dope, on any plans for an expansion effort at Craven Cottage? I remember reading some posts way back but nothing lately.

16. nevzter

I just had to step back from this thread and ponder, damn, are we realistically discussing FFC's European ambitions?

Amazing.

17. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Europe is a double edged sword. The size and quality of the squad needs to be large to compete in Europe and maintain a PL push. Apart from Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool, the other teams in the EPL have suffered for their European exertions.

One of the main factors that, I believe, has allowed Fulham to be so sucessful this season is the regularity of the starting line up. If the players have another 6 - 10 games then there is more chance of players needing rest or getting injured, unbalancing the team. Even if we buy players during the summer it takes time to bed them in and learn the system.

Having said that, I would love some more European nights down at the Cottage and we should aspire to Europe, but there will be a price to pay and the gamble is relegation.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Hi Stu,

We're going to get relegated one season in any case. Let's go for something special in the meantime. It's okay once you've not qualified for Europe or have been knocked out of a domestic cup competition to say, "well, we really don't have squad size to manage more than league survival," but to run from the prospect of it when we have a whole summer to build up to it is insane. Following this logic, perhaps we should just petition the football league and the FA and request that we not be considered for the Carling Cup and The FA Cup so as not to tire out our lads.

Nice to see you in the neighborhood, though!

19. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Exactly. Even if we end up relegated next year, we'll remember these Europa League games a lot longer.

Besides, we won't need Danny Murphy to go 90 minutes against some club from Andorra. Our U18 squad should be able to destroy a bunch of these teams.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Finally, if we think we're going to get through next season's domestic campaign starting only 14 players, we're kidding ourselves. Since Dempsey took over from Gera the only change in our lineup -- barring one-game suspensions and the odd tweak -- has been Etuhu for What's-his-ass. This is pretty much unheard of in this sport.

We're going to have to improve the depth and numbers of our squad just to maintain. Why not play a few Euro matches into the bargain. Besides, being qualified for Europe AND being in London makes us much more attractive to potential signees.