Van der Sar

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by sarahsw19, Jan 19, 2005.

1. sarahsw19

sarahsw19 New Member

Heard on Radio Talksport this morning that Edwin has signed a one year extension to his contract.
    sarah

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I'll take a 1 year extension, I feel any extension would be positive new for Fulham. I also just read we are also looking at signing a Czech Republic goal keeper by the name of Jaroslav Drobny.

I have never heard of him but if we are looking at him, he must of shown some promising skill...and he's only 25...

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Van der Sar

What club does this guy play for? I think he is the backup to Peter Cech on the national team.

4. Oliver

Oliver New Member

RE: Re: RE: Van der Sar

I think that van der Sar is a quality Player and should stay

5. soccerdad

soccerdad New Member

RE: Re: RE: Van der Sar

It's strange that VDS signed contract was, according to Cookie last weeks done deal. Nothing I've read says he's signed yet. I hope todays the day. Drobny might be great, but VDS is the real deal.

6. AtlantaJohn

AtlantaJohn New Member

VDS

Strange is it not, CC was interviewed several times last week, and every time said it was done deal and what a great boost to the club, but here we are a week later and I have still heard nothing more. Also I surf the gossip columns in the UK and there is still no rumour about anyone coming to us, I thought CC said he had money to spend and he needed 2 or 3 players to strengthen the squad, is he still loking or is the fact that nobody wants to come??????

7. americanmike

RE: VDS

An annoucement is to be made by VDS's agent today with regard to his clients future. He is either going to be transfered or signing a 1 year deal.

I for one, want to see a one year deal!

8. americanmike

RE: VDS

WELL FINALLY ITS DONE - VDS SIGNS A CONTRACT EXTESION THROUGH THE SUMMER OF 2006.

Sweet.

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: VDS

Nice, I was a little nervous about all of this as it was taking some time to officially sign the extension, but now that it is done it is great to know Edwin will be a Cottager. I think it shows a lot that the club signed both Boa Morte and Edwin to extensions. As Edwin said, he has talked to the chairman and the manager and both are committed to the long term future of the club. With that, things seem to be looking up for us now.

I personally thought it was gonna be a rough January in terms of seeing players leave, but that is not happen and that makes me happy. :D

10. madrat

madrat New Member

yes- positive news- like the fact that the core of good players are staying with fulham... would like to see a steady influence added to the back line- but otherwise pretty happy.

11. nborders

nborders New Member

I've never been a big VDS fan. I think he is too old, slow and doesn't get his Defensive working well together.

Lets just hope we get a new kid to fill his shoes soon.

~n

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

If you want my honest opinion of the situation, I am happy that Eddy signed the extension for two reasaons.

1. He will stay between the posts for the remainder of this season and give the defense and squad confidence. He has a lot of ability and despite what Crossley did earlier in the season, Edwin is clearly our #1 keeper.

2. I have a feeling with Drobny coming in this summer that he will be dispensable and with good, solid goal keeping in the EPL and other leagues in Europe at a premium, he might be wanted by other clubs. This being said, with his extension, he will not go on a free Bosman transfer and the club will get money for him if he does leave.

I am not convinced Drobny will be the be all end all keeper as I know little about him. Edwin is a great keeper and one that is experienced. I do not think we realize how good Edwin has been for us. He is 34, but that is not terribly ancient for goalkeepers.

I do not want to see him leave in the summer, but if he does, I will be cmforted knowing we are at least gonna get some money for him.

13. kdturtle

kdturtle New Member

yeah, i just read on sky sports that edwin says he wouldn't have signed if arsne or sir alex had come calling. while most players in the EPL are probably in the same boat, it's a little disconcerting that he and boa (see same article) seem less than "committed". i guess we should be glad to keep them through the rest of the season and let the summer bring what it may.

link:
    http://skysports.planetfootball.com/lis ... remiership