USOC: ChiFire X-Fail

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Jul 1, 2010.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

It's not MLS, it's the USOC.. but notable on here because the Chicago Fire just accomplished something I never thought I would see.

Not only were they so dis-interested as to finish 120 minutes at 0-0 against Charleston Battery, but they lost the match on PK's 3-0.

That, kids, is one for the books.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Now.. the other shoe. Fire come to Columbus on Saturday. How will that game be affected by such an epic fail?
    Scares the crap out'a me, I tell ya!

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

US Open Cup Semis

Are set now, except for the inexplicable sched of DC United Qfinal game for the 21st.

End of Aug, Chivas will face Seattle whose OC team beat LAG 2-0 after their big team was thumped by Gals.

Crew Reserves, plus Chad Marshall, finally wore down Charleston {fair midfield and quality D Line} and won 3-0 over the team which had Kept the Fire out of the net even including a PK shootout.
    - They'll face the winner of DCU/Harrisburg

Here's the bracket

The attendance for this series is really pathetic... Crew hosted two matches and drew fewer than 2000 each even after a ticket campaign for the second. LA / Sounders drew under 5000.

Seems to match the apathy shown on Open Cup sites... results still not posted

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: US Open Cup Semis

how much of this apathy is due to fans attention being drawn to the World Cup?

Oh, I share your disgust with the scant attention being paid to it by MLS sides.

4. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

RE: US Open Cup Semis

Part of the problem is that the rewards for winning the USOC are not much cash they can't spend on players and a bunch of extra games the following season (Champions League). League "parity" and cup competitions don't mix well.

It's a shame.