USMNT v. Cuba

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, Aug 28, 2008.

1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

New roster found here for Cuba (Sept. 6) and T&T matches (Sept. 10): http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/s ... index.html

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa, England), Tim Howard (Everton, England)

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes, France), Danny Califf (Midtjylland, Denmark), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover, Germany), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard Liege, Belgium), Michael Orozco (San Luis, Mexico), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock, Germany), Marvell Wynne (Toronto)

Midfielders: DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland), Michael Bradley (Heerenveen, Netherlands), Ricardo Clark (Houston), Maurice Edu (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Eddie Lewis (Los Angeles)

Forwards: Brian Ching (Houston), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles), Clint Dempsey (Fulham, England), Eddie Johnson (Cardiff, Wales)

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

nice to see Marvell Wynne get a callup, as well as Kljestan.

I was intrigued to see that Sunderland's Carlos Edwards [one of my fave ex-Hatters] dropped out of the TNT team last time out rather than travel to Cuba. If he plays for TNT, he'll be a good test for Pearce. Interesting that we've got 3 right backs, but only one LB. I guess Eddie Lewis would be the back up LB.

Got times, venues, TV coverage?

3. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Carlos Edwards was a standout at the World Cup in Germany. Isn't he on Sunderland now?

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

uh, doggie

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Is 'dolo allowed to play? I thought he wasnt and was hoping Bradley might give Marvelous Wynne a start.

6. Clevelandmo

I've decided I really dont like Dempsey at forward and while he may not be good enough in Woy's eyes to start for FFC in the midfield, he is good enough to start there for the US.

7. nevzter

And how, Mo!!!. I totally agree, he's not a forward, but he's good enough to be serviceable up top - but for the past year or so, I think he hasn't grown as much as he should have b/c he's continuously used as a stop-gap measure - Coleman, then Sanchez and now Woy. BB should break this cycle, play with ONE defensive mid and let Demps and Donovan roam behind a single striker.

...but what the hell do I know?

8. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

Agreed. Dempsey at forward and LD at right mid is TRAGIC.

9. Clevelandmo

Cuba 9/6/08 8pm ET ESPN Classic. For any of you who want to travel to Cuba to see the game in person, I guess US law forbids it. Will the US have a single fan there?

Also Don, Orozco is a LB, or at least he played there in the Olympics. But maybe that was a cleverly disguised opinion.

10. nevzter

More musings on the USMNT:

http://yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=4028

"Just perhaps another idea would be to play with an attacking central midfielder for a change, just to see what happens. Hopefully that's not too conservative an idea for those calling the shots for the US national team of late."

Does the USMNT have an attacking CM?

11. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Is anyone else concerned that the leading scorer in our domestic league is being used as a winger, the second leading scorer cannot get a callup and the most promising young forward we have ever produced will be in Spain for the next two matches? I am truly perplexed that our most consistent scoring threats are our two center backs.

12. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

We'll win these games regardless. It's more important that Adu and Altidore get times with their clubs so that they're playing regularly when the final round of qualifying starts (the 6-team group).

Edu is going to get time regardless, but Adu and Altidore are at risk of being spot-subs, at best.

Cooper is pretty good in the MLS, but he hasn't shown it the few times he HAS been called up. EJ may be out of form right now, but at least you can always say, "well, he has pace." Buddle is arguably a better option than Cooper, but the Galaxy can't afford to lose Beckham, Donovan, Lewis AND Buddle due to International duty.

Still, we'll get 6 points this week with who we have.

13. nevzter

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and it's on ESPN classic. We've got a gig [natch] but I'll be DVRing.

15. Clevelandmo

Here's my starting line-up

------------------------ Howard-----------------------------

---Wynne--------Gooch-----------Boca------Pearce------

--------------------------- Edu-----------------------------

-----------Dempsey---------------------Beasley---------

--------------------------Donovan----------------------------

-----------------EJ----------------------Ching-------------

Anyone in the Chat room tonight? My husband's on his way to Ireland so I'll only have kid company.

16. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

I might have to use the chatroom if my satellite is still down. New Jersey is being hit with winds and rain and more rain and more wind and a sky that looks like a Derby uniform if it had sleeves and a collar and a sponsor and...

OK, so it doesn't look like a Derby uniform.

17. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I am going to try and be in the chat room tonight Mo.

18. Clevelandmo

19. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

That's an awesome story. However wouldn't US Soccer and the USMNT be in violation of the law? :roll:

20. Clevelandmo

You can get a license to go there, but they arent granted for tourism.

Anyway I'll be looking for Fidel hats and US bandanas in the audience.