USMNT Slovakia squad

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Nov 9, 2009.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here's the article:

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-Natio ... vakia.aspx

and here's the squad:

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION
    GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton), Troy Perkins (Valerenga)
    DEFENDERS (9): Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City Wizards), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus Crew), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew), Heath Pearce (FC Dallas), Jonathan Spector (West Ham)
    MIDFIELDERS (6): Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Benny Feilhaber (AGF Aarhus), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Dax McCarty (FC Dallas), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew)
    FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Hull City), Conor Casey (Colorado Rapids), Jeff Cunningham (FC Dallas), Eddie Johnson (Fulham)

Callups for Conrad, Goodson, Pearce, Clint, Dax McCarty, Cunningham, and EJ

The match will be on FSC on the 14th

2. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Bob just had to wait for the weekend MLS playoff games to finish before he could call the game. Donovan or Bornstein-and-Kljestan? Findley-and-Mr. Dreadlocks or Hejduk, Marshall, and Rogers?

Amazingly, Castillo wasn't called up, though with Bornstein there, he's needed less. The lack of both Holden and Donovan will be felt.

3. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Denmark is fielding a semi-strong team while Slovakia appears to field their best XI.

Although it's a friendly, I would've like to see how well the Yanks' best XI stacked up. Instead I see no real impetus, although I probably will, to view either game.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

heh... notable!
    Jeff Cunningham!!!!! Yay!
    Eddie Johnson????? WTF?

Please, Bob.. put Jeffro in at 70'.
    Hejduk there for training purposes only, I'm sure.

5. jmh

jmh New Member

Is Tim Howard hurt, or is Bob just trying to get a look at some of the candidates to be his backup? Odd to see a USMNT roster without him.

6. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Guzan needs to get some playing time, or he'll have issues when his work permit comes up for renewal.

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Why no Torres? I dont follow the Mexican league, does Pachuca have something more important?

I'm disappointed Beasley didnt get a call. This would have been a good opportunity for him.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mo, Da Beas has had about 100 minutes of first team football this season.

Josh, I'm sure that Bob worked it out with Moyes that once we'd qualified he'd go easy on Timmy. He picked up two or three serious knocks in qualifying.

9. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I read this on another forum:

"By the way, it sounds like Castillo and Torres (who are actually playing head-to-head Saturday) were requested to stay back by their clubs in Mexico and are likely to join up with the team in Denmark."

10. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Don, Da Beas has created his own line of bling, in my eyes that qualifies him for a call up.

And thanks for the info LAX

11. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: RE: USMNT Slovakia squad

That makes sense, but I thought friendlies didn't count for that purpose.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Re: RE: USMNT Slovakia squad

actually, they can. What DOESN'T count is "B" internationals or dropping down into U-21 etc.

13. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

If it counts for a "cap" it counts toward the work permit.

14. jmh

jmh New Member

Got it. Thanks Don and Andy.

Then yes, more caps for Young Big Bad Brad so he can eventually take over for Old Big Bad Brad.

15. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Hmmmmm...

Interesting group. Well - I asked to get one more look at EJ and here it is.
    I really wanted to see Castillo and Torres so I hope they join up.

The defense - (I am calling up my right to say nothing).

The attack - would like to see Demps go up top from the start. Seems like we have enough in the midfield to be industrious if nothing else.

I am sure he will be in the mid for one of the matches, but when Casey, EJ, and Cunningham are obviously not getting the job done - will he have any choice but to push Demps up...

Especially with the fact that he is scoring goals at the moment.

COME ON BOB!

16. pettyfog

Dunno if I agree on Dempsey. Donovan aint there, we need midfield threat.
    I said before if BB has half a brain he'll hold Jeffro till about the 70. Otherwise the guy cant help pacing himself to go 90. Not so obvious now, but always has been the way.
    OTOH, START EJ.

The defense will be fine. Allowing goals doesnt count, seeing how they fit and play together is the thing. That's why Frankie is only there as a courtesy call up.

17. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

The match between Torres and Castillo's squad is some sort of a cup match I believe. I'm sure both will be called in for the Denmark match. I think this is an imporant match for Jozy. I think he needs a good showing (not necessarily a goal) so that he can keep his place in the Hull lineup. I think he most likely will regardless, because with him in there last week that is as dangerous as they have looked offensively all season. We really need him to playing a lot for Hull

18. pettyfog

Okay.. I'm gonna admit ignorance. I get Torres, but where the hell did Castillo 'come from'? Did I fall asleep?

19. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Castillo is eligible and healthy. Worth taking a look at.

20. pettyfog

So?
    that does NOT make him..

what's he DONE?