USMNT Callups for Summer WC Qualifiers

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by jumpkutz, May 28, 2017.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

3. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

I have mixed feelings regarding Chandler. Not a major loss though IMO. Bring in Lichaj, call it good.

Not sure that I'll catch much of the friendly on Saturday. Would rather get up early to watch the U20s

I read somewhere that Arena will be using different lineups for the qualifiers. It makes me wonder who he'll rest in CO to have them fresh for Estadio Azteca.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  4. SoCalJoe

5. jumpkutz

+3 on Chandler. At 27, I don't know if he'll ever mature enough into a solid player for us. But there's still time. It's interesting how some players thrive in club play, but not so much in internationals. And vice versa (Diego Forlan comes to mind, amongst others). I'm beginning to rethink all of the German-Americans Klinsmann brought in. Are they really that good? Good enough to be internationals? I think Arena's got some tough choices to make in that regard before next year. If there is a next year.

6. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Chandler has never really panned out in a US shirt but I don't think Klinsmann missed on the other German-Americans. Fabian Johnson and John Brooks are starting 11 quality players for the US and while Jermaine Jones' days may be rapidly coming to an end, especially as a starter along side Bradley, he has been a quality player for us. I had a lot of complaints about Klinsmann but bringing in the American-Germans hasn't been one of them.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The German-American who is not getting the credit he deserves IIRC is Danny Williams. JK fell out of love with him and Arena hasn't shown much interest. I think Williams is a good role player and is the perfect replacement for Jones. When will he get his chance.

SoCalJoe, jumpkutz and astroevan like this.
  8. jumpkutz

Yes, I was thinking the same thing when Joe Wright Phillips tweeted him as a US international before the Wembley final...except he had just been omitted from squad named by Arena THAT DAY.

9. SoCalJoe

In my mind he's the perfect replacement for the guy wearing the armband who was close to the worst guy on the pitch for the umpteenth time last night.

encorespanish and jumpkutz like this.
  10. jumpkutz

Which begs the question, why is he still starting? If it's obvious to us (and it is) why have Arena AND Klinsmann kept him in? The slide continues unabated. A benching might be what's needed to get his attention, because we also know what he's capable of. He hasn't been doing what he's capable of for quite some time now.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It's almost as if he left his edge on the luggage carousal at JFK when he transferred back to MLS.

jumpkutz and SoCalJoe like this.