USA vs Mexico on MUN 2

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by DawgTheDon, Jul 15, 2009.

1. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

Not sure if everyone is aware of this, but the game on August 12th will be televised by Telemundo (Spanish) and Mun 2 (English). How many of you have both of these channels. I have neither.

Anyways, some U.S. Soccer bloggers have started a petition which will be delivered to NBC Universal, parent company of Telemundo.

Closing in on 300 sigs in just a couple of hours.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/usamexicotv

Note--there is no cost. Its a bit confusing, but you just have to sign and ignore the 2nd screen that pops up.

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I signed it. But I would bet US Soccer will try to do something about it. Have you looked at their website? Is it possible to get tickets to the game or is going to Azteca a bad idea?

The Mexicans tried voodoo for our last match up so maybe they think if Americans cant actually see their team beat Mexico at Azteca then it didnt actually happen.

3. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I wonder how definitive that is. US Soccer still shows tv as to be determined, as do a couple of other sites.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Matt, do we have "Mun2?" I never heard of it.

5. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Neither have I Don.

6. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

7. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I can't believe I could miss this game. Crazy.

8. Clevelandmo

I cant imagine ESPN wouldnt televise it. Especially after the USA v. Brazil final veiwership broke records. Are you sure this isnt some kind of scheme? After all some people probably hit submit on the donation page.

I emailed US soccer. They are usually pretty helpful.

9. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

Its not a scheme. Goff reported it. Major League Soccer Talk reported it, Google it...

As for the petition, it states right at the bottom that the second page is a DONATION to I Petition, which has nothing to do with signing your name. I Petition is a free service so they ask for donations. Jason Davis and none of the blog sponsoring this deal own or operate I petition.

The LAST thing I would do is rip anyone off here.

10. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

What people forget is the fact that Telemundo have exclusive rights to Qualifiers played in Mexico. Normally ESPN pays Telemundo in order to broadcast it in English. That simply didn't happen this time around.

11. Clevelandmo

Dawg, I just asked the question because it's hard to believe and it is the internet after all. I hope you dont think I'm accusing you of anything.

I meant to thank you in my first post for the heads up, so thanks

12. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I read someplace last night, sorry but I can't find the link now, that ESPN tried to get the US English rights from Telemundo but Telemundo refused because they see this as a way to increase the MUN2 viewership.

13. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

Yup BarryP, pretty much.

Our contention is, many people do not have access to Mun 2. NBC Universal owns Telemundo, so all we are asking is that the game be moved to a channel that is available to more U.S. Soccer fans. USA Network seems like the logical choice, but I'd watch it on Bravo.

I should say...I'm going to watch it anyways cause I can get it for free via Justin TV (you know someone will stream it). Their numbers for the Mun 2 broadcast will be very low as just about everyone will watch it illegally online.

14. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

Oh no problem, I'm just saying I would never rip off a Fulham supporter. I'd still a lollypop from a kid wearing a Chelsea jersey, but would never rip off a Fulham fan.

15. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Some info for ya.

Mun2 is available nationwide on DirecTV channel 410, Dish Network channel 838, and "on most cable providers."

Go to this page http://holamun2.com/get-mun2 and enter your zip code to see the channel's availability in your area.

16. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

P.S. It seems to be on all Time Warner and Cablevision providers.

I think.

17. jmh

jmh New Member

Never heard of MUN2 but I do appear to get it on cable.

Tangent: I can't STAND Time Warner Cable's website since they "enhanced" it with unnecessary new "features".

18. Flamingcokecans

Flamingcokecans New Member

I am prepared to visit my local mexican restaurant and watch this in spanish, they always have telemundo on and I know they will have this game on. I think i will bring my horn... and an metal chest plate