USA vs England Friendly

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Tasty! Thanks for posting, Mo.

This is a move in the right direction in my opinion. Yes, we should play friendlies and have no choice but to qualify against our neighbors, but for international experience and for drawing interest from our still, for now, majority European ancestry population, friendly matches against Europe's national teams makes so much sense the only question left is, what took us so long?

I whole-heartedly applaud this! (And it will be even better when we beat them!)

3. EricD

EricD New Member

Yes, we should be traveling all over to get matches like this. We need it. I would like to see the US become like the non BCS team that the BCS teams do not look forward to playing - like Boise State now and Fresno State back when. I like the attitude those teams have - we will play anyone anytime anywhere.

4. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Great job by the US in playing a tough team on hteir home turf! And way overdue.

5. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Looks like we'll also be playing Poland in Krakow next month. Gives us another chance to whip them over there AGAIN and then give crap to Tom AGAIN.:D
    Also playing against Spain somewhere yet to be named in Spain in June.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 19&cc=5901

6. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Ahhhh finally! This is giving me great joy right now. I can just envision Wembley when we beat England.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Now THAT would be enough to get me to go back onto the Offal messageboard. :lol:

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Phftt.. they would just blame Beckham.

And speaking of... How Effing dense IS that manager? How many times can he make the same stupid mistake?

Or is he actually a genius and pushing David's 'motivate' button?

9. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

England can't get up for friendlies, it's a shocking state of affairs. I would not be surprised if England lose to the US as we look like we don't care, even when there are points at stake. Personally I would like to see the likes of Bullard given a chance for England as we would look like we had passion and raise the crowd.

The game will be at the end of the season, none of the England players will be playing for their places as we failed to qualify for the Euros, so I think there may be a high level of absentees. I think it will be a damp squib, but have to beleive England will win inspite of themselves.

10. Silas

Silas New Member

That's the thing, if several England regulars are missing, it's entirely different than if several USA regulars are missing. They have a much greater talent pool to choose from, especially at the Striker position my goodness.

11. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am looking forward to this one. It seems these two teams play annually. The US has had their way with Poland the last few years, but I like Poland's chances in this one. They are playing well right now.

If Poland does lose I will gladly take the heat from everyone. However, if Poland does win I might gloat a little bit.

12. Clevelandmo

And I guess the England match is not finalized. However, it could potentially be:

England on 5/28
    Spain on 6/4
    back to US for Argentina on 6/8

quite a schedule that should hopefully make the team as ready as ever for WC qualifiers.

13. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I like the schedule of matches, but let's not kid ourselves about CONCACAF. The US could show up with their youth team and have a good chance of qualifying for the World Cup.

14. Silas

Silas New Member

So true, but so good at the same time. I think this match is important for other reasons that WCQ's. It's nice to play a historical rival (in a military sense), and also good to play teams that have extremely high talent levels.

15. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Ha Ha. You always like their chances. Don't want to count my chickens before they hatch but the next time you drag your polish sympathizing butt up to Minneapolis you will be taking heat!

16. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Regardless of what happens Bradley is doing what is best for this team. Playing traditional powerhouses, at their venues, with our young talent.

Next to the world cup, that is the only way they will gain any experience in mildly meaningful games. Very impressed so far and the fact that we drew against Mexico when we had no business getting a result in that game tells me our fortunes, talent, and future is changing for the better training camp by training camp and fixture by fixture.

COYRW&B's!!!

17. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Oh yeah did I mention that Jozy Altidore is an absolute stud??? Brain McBride's void will be quickly filled.

18. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

19. Clevelandmo

Fantastic news. Cant wait for this one

20. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I'm actually considering attending the game. My mother still lives in Aylesbury (NW of London) so I have a place to stay - it's just justifying the tickets (game and airline) to my wife...