usa v honduras

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

This does not bode well for Conrad's recovery in time for Thursday. Parkhurst has been called back from Europe. Too bad, Jimmy went from thinking his international career was over to captaining the team in an international quarterfinal and to this. Hope my suspicions are wrong.

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewAr ... 69891.html

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mo, I think what you're seeing is just good common sense on everyone's part. Conrad was clearly concussed, and even if he was a baseball player, he needs to take some time off. As a central defender, he'd be called upon to head clearances and the potential for more serious injury is real and avoidable.

Jimmy Conrad may be limited in some areas of the game, but he's a MAN and if he has fear, he's a hell of a lot better actor than I believe him to be. I don't think he was on the short list for South Africa, but I don't think that it's possible after Saturday for Bradley to forget who he is and what he can do.

3. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Well said Don.

4. Clevelandmo

I dont like this word. I didnt even know it was a word until Saturday. The noun form is fine. When did everyone start changing the way we speak? Like "they took him to hospital"? Why isnt it "they took him to the hospital"?

Anyway, I guess I wasnt thinking if I thought he might actually be able to make it back into this tourney. He'll probably have to take a few weeks off from even practicing. It's just that the way soccer is played at the international level, I figure there is someone getting concussed in every game.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Mo is so lightweight in the morning... it's her 'giddy time', I guess :banana:
    - - - -- - - - - -

Well, back to topic. Ordinarily you'd see me pitchin a bitch because this'll mean Chad Marshall aint coming back to the Crew for the duration.

But it's ALL GOOD! Marshall gets his chance to prove and the Crew is doing just pretty damn fine with Brunner and Iro in the center. PLUS THAT has a side benefit of heaping ashes on the heads of NYRB FO and fans for hiding Brunner in the 'also-practices' list.

Take THAT, Ives!
    heh...

6. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

They are doing more and more research into the effects of concussions on athletes...and it's not good. From what I understand, even one minor concussion and you're never quite the same. Wayne Chrebet, the former Jets' wide receiver, famously had several concussions over the course of his career. He retired a few years ago and I read that now can't even drive home from his office without the aid of a GPS system. He's 35 years old.

Obviously (American) football is a different, more violent sport, but the fact remains that doctors say the most dangerous thing about concussions is pushing yourself too soon.

Conrad clearly was in trouble the other night. If he came back for the next game he would be taking a serious risk with his long-term health.

7. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Jimmy, we all love you, and you can have a career as a pretty amusing talking head after your playing days, so please, sit down for a few games. Don't end up like the NFL guys. You play a game for a living, not brain surgery, not helping the poor in a repressed nation, at the end of the day it's only a game.

8. BarryP

BarryP New Member

9. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Love you Jimmy. Take you, IF we need you. But right now, we don't.

10. EricD

EricD New Member

I finally saw the rest of the OT part of the Panama game (didn't set the DVR long enough). I am not sure this was discussed, but that was pretty shameful. How is that kick to Cooper not a red? How does someone get away with throwing the ball at the ref's head? Low class behavior at the end of that game.

Honduras will be tough to beat. They have a lot to prove.

11. Clevelandmo

Well obviously Panama played good money to have that foul called on Cooper. They were ripped off

12. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Line-ups for tonight? I doubt it will change much from the Panama match with either Parkhurst or Goodson slotting in for Conrad although Evans could replace Heaps.

Perkins

Heaps-Parkhurst-Marshall-Pearce

Holden-Pause-Beckerman-Rogers

Arnaud-Ching

I did not think I would be saying this anytime soon but I will be very surprised if Honduras does not attack us down the left to avoid Marshall and Pearce as much as possible.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

And I would love to join you guys in the chatroom before, after, and during the tea interval, but I'm taking three ladies to dinner tonight, so ... .

14. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

According to the USMNT Blog:

Here's how the USA will lineup for tonight's Gold Cup semifinal against Honduras:

Perkins; Heaps, Goodson, Marshall, Pearce; Holden, Beckerman, Pause, Rogers; Arnaud, Ching (capt.)

- Jimmy Conrad will not dress tonight and Brian Ching will replace him as captain.
    - The bench looks like this: Busch, Quaranta, Evans, Clark, Cronin, Cooper, Parkhurst

15. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

2-0. O Dos a Cero otra vez.

Could Cooper be a steady, large-sized poacher? He puts himself in great positions, and with the prior penalty and this goal (granted the build-up was great) he's added some value in my opinion, not enough to be a 2010 contender in my book, but still good to see.

Ching, my man, you've got to score on unmarked headers. If he can't do this, unfortunately, I don't see a place for him on the 2010 squad despite his "hold-up" play - much in the same vain as Bobby Z for FFC. Davies / Dempsey can hold up just as well, and they bring something else to the table too. Damn, I like Ching, but he needs to step it up.

16. LaxAttack

That second goal was nice.

17. LaxAttack

This other semifinal game has been fun to watch.

Mexico scored in the 88th minute to take a 1-0 lead.

Costa Rica then scored at 2:40 of 3 minutes of injury time to tie it up.

Extra time just started up, but the last 20 minutes has been a frantic back and forth counter attack by both teams.

Mexico also had a PK saved earlier in the game.

18. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

watching. in a bar. with wireless. at the bar. drinking beer. good stuff.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I finally finished watching this about 0015 central.

Not a match for the casual observer. It could have looked disjointed, slow moving, and boring. To a seasoned observer [even one that's a bit senile], however, there was much to enjoy. Observations:

1. Honduras have a LOT of very talented players. They are probably CONCACAF's Spain, though, in that they may field 11 talented folks, but not necessarily a talented team. While many of their top guys weren't there, this was true for us as well. What Bradley knew -- even though many still think he's an idiot -- was that if you contain and frustrate them long enough, they'll lose the plot, and then you can toy with them. Nevertheless, look for them to join Mexico and the US as CONCACAF's Big Three.

2. The biggest winners last night -- Holden [if MLS will let him leave, he'll be in the UK no later than January], Pearce [after his summer for the USMNT, somebody should be signing him soon. There's a real shortage of left backs, and he's given us several top quality performances in a row.] Perkins -- Unless Guzan gets a regular team gig, I think Perkins should be our back up for South Africa. Goodson -- [I think he'll be leaving Scandinavia within 12 months. He's solid, fearless, and that might have been the hardest header I've seen in many a year]

3. The biggest losers: Rogers -- [not ready for prime time player] Logan Pause -- [I think we've seen his last match.]

4. Conundrum United: Quaranta -- [came on as a sub and turned invisible immediately]. Cooper -- [every time he scores in a match for the USMNT, I get more convinced that he's not international quality. What's wrong with me?]

5. Man of the Match: Brian Ching -- [If somebody ever tries to kick my ass in Houston, I want Brian by my side. What a man.] Oh, and don't get any ideas, Lyle! :3d smile:

6. Chew on this Bradley haters: Over the last 18 months, while we've done extremely well, the strongest criticisms about our coach are that (a) he doesn't make half-time adjustments, and (b) he doesn't make appropriate or timely substitutions. Anybody who has been paying attention to this tournement has seen that each match has featured significant adjustments at the interval and excellent substitutions that have energized the team and turned things around. I can't figure out where the next bunch of carps will come from about Bob, but I know they'll be there. Just doesn't have an accent, I guess.

Bring on El Tri!

20. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Ayup... I think allus who were anti-Bob are at least shutting up.

Some like me are converted.