USA v CR recap

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Oct 15, 2009.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I missed the first half +.

Tuned in about when Rogers and Torres came on. That was genius Bob, from what I read and hear, the spark was needed.

I agree with the Broadcast team, it would have been better had LD been playing up more. But I was gratified to see that Robbie made up for his horrendous club performance after he was selected.

And a Bornstein goal... how fitting. The only way the US can advance very far is if they consider themselves a TEAM, first and foremost. Meaning everyone plays their role the best they can. They cant be thinking about how a cap affects their future.
    - - --
    Standing back, it's really freaking unbelievable that the CR Coaches shot themselves in the foot by all the drama they put on, and getting sent off. Tell me time wasnt ADDED for that!
    The Strength and Conditioning coach almost turned gray. It isnt fair.. but he'll probably be blamed.

2. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

He was shitting himself trying to figure out what to do. I ALMOST felt sorry for him.

A HUGE win, that was needed much more than can be described in final qualifying standings.

3. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

It was an incredible atmosphere at RFK. Being part of the thousands who held up the #9 signs was a humbling, almost spiritual experience.

You could tell the Charlie Davies events were impacting the players - there's really no other excuse for missing that many sitters. As fans, we groaned at the misses then cheered them on for more - we were certainly creating enough chances. After the 2nd goal was pandemonium, fans in the crowd turning to hug strangers - it wasn't even about getting top of the group. We didn't know that Mexico had tied their game; it was all about honoring Charlie by refusing to lose.

The Ticos, both the players and fans were stunned by the result. Their fans left quietly, but we wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for the empty holes in the seating. 90% of the American fans stayed for 15-20 minutes after the game, just cheering on our boys and holding up our #9 signs again.

USA-Argentina in Giants Stadium was a great game that showed the potential of US Soccer among a great crowd.

USA-Mexico in Columbus was memorable, as much for the hailstorm and near tornado conditions that left us shivering and drenched to our skins while watching our boys scrape out the "usual" 2-0 win.

The experience of attending this game ranks far above them both.

4. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

It really ended up being a classic. Drink it all in and savor it, andy. The rest of us will try to get a little sip and taste with the highlights. I too, even though watching on a television (without sound in a bar), was excited that we won for Charlie Davies before realizing that had us win the group. I think all 4 others, who may or may not have been soccer fans, were excited for that reason as well (as I shared the story with them prior). Hoppin', hollerin', and high-fives with strangers at a bar was our small offering of solidarity.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Rogers looked good for the first 45 seconds he was on the pitch. Then he looked like Rogers.

Holden proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he can't hold Dempsey's coat.

Gooch looked rusty and a step slow.

Bornstein looked useless for 94 minutes and 30 seconds.

Donovan looked like a talented, bored kid.

Jozy looked crappy for the first 15 minutes, but then looked very good. If his head had been fully in the game [and not been on Charlie], we could have put the match away by half time.

Casey looked like the player he is -- a hard working MLS guy who doesn't belong in a WC squad.

The Feilhaber-Bradley combination I had longed for was listless and lackluster.

Boca was okay, but his skills are eroding before our very eyes.

Cherundolo was one of the few who had a brilliant game.

Tim Howard was Tim Howard, and you can't ask more than that.

Castillo made a difference as soon as he came on. That substitution got us a point.

Nice fight back. Nice to finish above Mexico. Now let's get us a new centre-back partnership and a strike partner for Jozy in time for South Africa.

6. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Brian McBride: "Did I hear someone ring for me??"

7. pettyfog

Re: RE: USA v CR recap

Yeah, we wish. Brian always follows his own path, though.

Another 'wish': It's time for Jeff Cunningham.

Yeah, I know that's contradictory to what I just posted but there's a time and place, and it's coming up. I've been thinking about that ever since he started on the tear.. why was I afraid to say so!
    meantime the other JC detractors on Crew MB beat me to it.

8. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

9. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

We need fearlessness, not someone who will be awestruck. We know McBride fits the bill, and my understanding is that Cunningham is a pretty self-absorbed type. If that makes him think he's better than the rest in South Africa, AND he doesn't upset the applecart, give the kid an opportunity.

10. pettyfog

Hardly a 'kid'. that was the problem. But if Bob is smart, he knows that JC is a Weapon of Mass Destruction when he comes in as a sub.

Maybe BB would let him think he might start, but never let him start.

11. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I gotta bring up the thread again, but didn't you(Petty) say that my idea to bring up Cunningham was a bad one? Looking pretty good now.

12. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Wow, are we a mess on the back line. I know he's our captain, but Boca looks terrible every time I see him. As reported earlier...Bornstein was useless until the last corner kick. Gooch looked like a lamp post, and Dolo wasn't great, but because the other guys were so awful it made him look good.

So glad that &^%#@*&@^#$#@!!!! Rongen ran off our obvious Gooch replacement in Subotic. The Cheesehead injury sounds like a freak accident that may result in permanent eye damage. That leaves who in the center???? Chad Marshall??? Jimmy Conrad??? Those 2 make Boca look fast. Shout out to Bob, please let the Olympic red card go and let our quickest cb Michael Orozco back out of the cold.

13. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Bornstein?!? Are you kidding me? What a nice comeback for the draw and the top spot in the group. After the two quick goals, I figured we might mail it in since there wasn't a lot to play for, but they hung in and got the job done.

I truly don't get the hyper-dramatic, bush league stall tactics that almost every team south of the US deploys in CONCACAF. It's almost like a prevent defense. Half the time it backfires b/c the team gets distracted and out of rhythm. And it's so dishonorable. Glad it backfired to our benefit.

And finally, didn't John Harkes play soccer for the US? Played qualifiers and WC? If so, is he touched? He makes the dumbest criticisms and is very inconsistant with them. With the US trailing 2-1 with 5 min + stoppage to go, why in the world would he be harping on us getting men back to defend the counter? We'd clinched a WC spot and there was no scenario where our GD would determine whether we won the group. I'll grant he may not have known mexico were tied, but it really wasn't relevant. You have to assume they'd draw or beat T&T, so throw everything at scoring. Which we did. And Harkes felt the need to question this several times. This guy has just about lost all credibility with me. I did like his broadcast partner though. I thought he was an upgrade over JP.

14. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

It was actually Torres, but agree 100 percent. His introduction was the difference.

Oh, and I broke my promise of not watching another match. Oops.

Few things looking ahead to/lingering questions on the long lull:

Benny should never, ever start again. He's basically the USA version of Nevland -- great off the bench, vacant in the starting XI.

When is the roster due? I think CC is currently on a hot streak and in no way deserving of a spot, even without Davies.

Where will LD go in January? No way he's taking the winter off.

15. Jensers

Jensers New Member

You are right - great article.

16. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

If Jozy plays on Monday like he did last night, Hughes and Hangeland are going to have their hands full.

17. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Don's new avatar:

[​IMG]

18. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I really like how Jozy is using his body and becoming more physical.

Harkes did seem lost last night since he didn't have Dempsey to rag on.

19. Meggrs

Meggrs New Member

The guy who said Landon was the US captain and called Benny "John Feilhaber"?

Truth be told, I spent a lot of the game watching on fast-forward, too stressed out to deal with the real-time replay. I'll watch it again, in full, with my sis in a day or two, knowing the outcome, and I'll try to get past his first two whoppers and listen to his game commentary.

Jozy looked REALLY emotional, esp in the first part of the game. I was worried about him.

Anyone read where Milan wants compensation from the US for Gooch's injury? The guy they have sitting on the bench??

Not sure what the precedent for that is, but WTF? It wasn't a friendly, it was a WC qualifier, and even if we'd already clinched, does a club have the right to demand money for an injured player during a game where they were legally required to release the player for int'l duty?

20. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I thought I read that Italy paid Roma for Totti.