US vs Panama

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by BarryP, Jul 14, 2009.

1. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Dolo and Parkhurst return to Europe. I don't see Parkhurst's departure as a huge blow but Dolo's return to his club really underscores the importance of the Gold Cup this year for the USMNT head honchos.

If Davies sticks around I would expect to see something along these lines, barring Bradley calling up any of the extra players rostered, for the Panama match:

Perkins

Evans-Marshall-Conrad-Pearce

Quaranta-Holden-Beckerman-Rogers

Ching-Davies

This would a good chance to get another look at Sam Cronin. I would like to see Bradley give him another run out personally. If Bradley calls in any of the extra players I would anticipate Ricardo Clark might be manning the middle with Beckerman and Holden being pushed out to the right.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I like your lineup, but I'd expect Davies to be shuffling off to Sochaux sooner rather than later.

3. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I agree with you about Davies Don. As hard as it is to say it would probably be best for the USMNT if he left for Sochaux as soon as possible. Unless for some strange reason Sochaux wants him here and playing.

4. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Since these guys are leaving, cant Bradley call in more players?

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Panama! Duh, duh, duh, duh deh duh, Panama! Duh, duh duh, duh deh duh, Panama-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!! :banana:

7. LaxAttack

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

My absolute fave by dem boyz. Nothing comes close.

And NO, we don't cover it.

9. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Roster updates courtesey of Mr. Goff.

USA Roster Update

Confused about the USA's roster status heading into the Gold Cup quarterfinal against Panama Saturday in Philadelphia? Yeah, me too.

Okay, here's what we know:

In an attempt to balance badly needed summer breaks with national team commitments and club obligations, defenders Steve Cherundolo and Michael Parkhurst, midfielder Benny Feilhaber and midfielder-forward Freddy Adu are not with the squad. Parkhurst, however, is on call for possible return later in the tournament.

The roster currently has 20 players, although there's a possibility some could return to their clubs this week. None of the seven CONCACAF-approved additions (Altidore, Casey, Clark, Feilhaber, Guzan, Kljestan, Bornstein) will be called up for the quarterfinal.

So the options this weekend are:

Goalies: Troy Perkins, Luis Robles, Jon Busch.
    Defenders: Heath Pearce, Clarence Goodson, Chad Marshall, Jimmy Conrad, Jay Heaps.
    Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman, Robbie Rogers, Logan Pause, Stuart Holden, Colin Clark, Brad Evans, Davy Arnaud, Sam Cronin.
    Forwards: Charlie Davies, Kenny Cooper, Brian Ching, Santino Quaranta.

Who are your starters?

UPDATE: Davies is heading to France to join his new club, Sochaux, and will miss Saturday's match. No replacements will be called in, a USA spokesman said.

10. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Don't think Holden's shoulders will be big enough.

11. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

If there's a time to quell doubts about a place in the WC squad, the time is Saturday for Mr. Ching. Hopefully he steps up and shows his experience.

This team is still more talented than Panama (yeah, we're runnin' a little bit hot tonight...).

Why the pessimism, Mr. WB in PCB fan of FFC?

Perkins
    Evans Conrad Marshall Pearce
    Quaranta Cronin Holden Rogers
    Arnaud
    Ching

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

As I reach down between my legs, I respond, "good 11, Nev. I think that'll do."

2-0 [Ching, Marshall]

13. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Ease the seat back,.....I reckon we can compete with Panama, but taking the tourney just got harder.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

15. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Having a hard time visualizing Don covering an Eddie solo.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Me too!

17. BarryP

BarryP New Member

The lineup from No Short Corners:

Perkins; Heaps, Conrad (c), Marshall, Pearce; Holden, Pause, Beckerman, Rogers; Arnaud, Ching

Bench: Robles, Evans, Goodson, Cronin, Quaranta, Clark, Cooper

18. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Huh -no discussion post match?

It wasnt pretty, and the team is a bit sketchy, but if there is one thing they should have learned:

Beckerman must touch the ball every possession as much as possible.

Also - that Panama are a bunch of whining bitches and that they are going to be facing some heavy penalties for their post match fracas. What exactly were they so upset about? 90% of the calls went their way - and they cannot have a complaint about that penalty.

19. LaxAttack

No one really stood out for me aside from Pause as every pass he made went to the other team.

20. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

And yet, it seems they did. But who cares about Panama? I dont even care about Canada.

As to Beckerman... yeah. RSL missed him last night and they should gripe but we {Crew} could say the same about Rogers and Marshall. While we're on that subject, though... who was Panama missing due to club conflicts?
    If it was no one of consequence, then our boyz looked pretty good for a 'C' squad from a 4th tier sport.