US v ENGLAND

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Jun 7, 2010.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Let's get this candle lit!! Lineups? Score? Keys?

2. jmh

jmh New Member

I'm not sure I have much to say except that I'm PSYCHED. I got a FEVER... and the only prescription... is the World Cup!

OK, while I'm at it:
    Howard
    Dolo, DeMerit, Gooch, Boca
    Mandon, Bradley, Edu, Deuce
    Jozy, Buddle

3. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

This is my first World Cup living outside of the country and I'm not looking forward to Saturday in any way, shape or form. Although we aren't expected to win, the English/Fulham friends of mine will be giving it to me if England win.

I know its a bit of banter but I really do hope I get a chance to go into work and give'em some.

1-1 final score with Algeria topping the group by Sunday.

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Flag burning to protest Hicks/Gillette? I wonder if they burned the Spanish flag as well? A bunch of knuckleheads who had too many Fullers, most likely.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worl ... ense-yanks

I didn't expect anything from this match at the time of the draw, now, I think there's a slight chance of a point if the U.S. backline can hold up. I believe the U.S. will score against England, question is, how many?

Also, put Jozy and Buddle to start; yeah, they're somewhat similar in style, but I'd like to see how England's CBs react when those two trot out for the first 45 - bring the other strikers in as needed.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The flag burning happened last week. It happened at Liverpool in response to a couple of scum-sucking bottom feeders who happen to be Americans. What difference this should make to Saturday's game is beyond me. I'm STUNNED to see a Fox network trying to get people riled up for no reason.

to the game:

I like Josh's lineup. I think it is our best. Our first MF off the bench should be either Holden or Torres, and Gomez should come in for either Buddle or Jozy somewhere between 60-75 minutes. The prime defensive subs should be Goodson and Spector. PLEASE DO NOT LET BORNSTEIN NEAR THE PITCH.

With two crocked central defenses and with a ball that is extremely difficult for either defenders OR attackers to handle, it's hard to figure out what'll happen. I wouldn't be surpised by a 0-0 or a 4-4. If we have an edge it's Howard over Hart/Green/Calamity. If they have an edge it's Rooney over Jozy/Buddle.

Each side will have to figure that they can handle Algeria and Slovenia, so you might even see a 90 minute waltz for a draw.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Oh..just GREAT Don never misses a chance!

In the FIRST place Rupert or Roger didnt tell the guy to write that, But that doesnt matter to political blockheads.. Are you SURE they werent Tea-baggers, too?

In the second place, the guy's wrong but he has the write to get all MSNBC {feigned outrage} if he wants to.

To me, the flag represents the attitude of the person holding/using it. It tells me the guys who burned it are simpletons. Doesnt affect my sensibilities in the least.

Like if some guy who's 'just a guy int he neighborhood' stomps on it. Tells me who he is and gives me a hint about his friends.

NEXT: Who knows WHAT Hicks and Gillette really had in mind when they bought Liverpool.. Just looking back at all their grandiose ideas and plans tells me that they were more disconnected from financial reality than evil schemers. Yeah.. they're incompetent to run the club, financially. We gonna start calling people out on that now?
    Okay with me.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Goodson? I dont know which is worse for defender. But I guess Goodson might make up for a Defensive gaffe with a goal opportunity. Bornstein would just suck both ways.

7. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Gotta be careful with that Fullers, boy. I once set HatterDon on fire after a few too many. He hasn't quoted Richard Prior around me since.

As for the match, I'll go optimistic and say 2-2 draw. We've looked more dangerous offensively in the run-up than I expected and England have been rather underwhelming of late.

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Yeah...I bet he doesnt moonwalk, either.

9. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Okay children, back on topic

I'm okay with jmh's line-up, but I prefer

-----------Howard
    'dolo, Demerit, Gooch, Boca
    Donovan, Edu, Bradley, Beasley
    -------Dempsey
    --------------------Josy

to start. I think Boca is going to have a hell of a time with England's speedy right flank and will need Beasley's defensive help while still maintaining the ability for the team to get forward on the left wing.

Shortly into the second half, I would like to see Beasley come out and Buddle take Dempsey's place up top with Josy. If the US needs to score at the 85' min mark, I would bring on Findley for his speed. Buddle attributed his first goal v. Australia to Findley's speed and the fact that the defender and MS commited to covering Findley.

Way too nervous to predict a score, but I dont want no stinking tie. I want England (which is what we were all chanting at the Turkey friendly).

And Don and FulhamAg please abstain from any more Fullers or other English beer until this match is over. I have employed this strategy to much success in the past. It's time to drink 'merican beer . . . or Irish . . . czech, etc.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

"I'm sorry, Dave. I can't let you do that."

11. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Time for another episode of " IF I WERE BOB!"

Against Engerland, I would pick:

---------------------------------- Howie ------------------------------

-- 'Dolo ------------- DeMerit ------------- Goodson ---- Boca ----

-------------------------- Bradley ------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------- Torres ------------------------
    ----------- Lando ------------------------------------- Dempsey----

--------------------- Buddle -----------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------ Jozy -----------------

Edu a close second on that holding Mid position.
    Findley to sub when the posh back four break for a spot of tea and a biscuit.
    Holden in for Torres to push Cakes into the middle.

* The key to this match? Who else, Dempsey.

And, Mo, as far as where have I been?

1. "Soccer by the Surf"/ "[pelada]" (www.us98soccer.com)
    2. Y.E.S. Camp (www.us98sports.com)
    3. Oil in the Gulf (pick a news source)
    4. Moving to California (timing is almost everything, my work is done here)

12. Clevelandmo

We will know whom to blame now.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I am the universal scapegoat, Maureen. I wear the mantle with pride.

14. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Per the article Mo posted on the WC thread the ref is a major concern. Michael Bradley is a red card waiting to happen. I think jmh's lineup is the one BB will roll out.

15. CincyCottager

CincyCottager New Member

Kickoff can't get here soon enough. It kills me to have the US and England playing each other, because in the end I just hope both sides advance to the knock out. I want the US to win, of course, but it is like playing against your favorite cousin.

16. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

17. Clevelandmo

Rooney is a red card waitin' to happen also

18. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I have Ricardo Clark in the red card pool. I think Bob is starting him and he should get some form of a card with this ref.

19. jmh

jmh New Member

Rooney getting sent off would be pretty sweet.

By the way, last night I dreamed that we beat England 8-3. So, uh, I dunno if that means anything to anyone, but I thought I'd share. :lol:

20. Clevelandmo

With all the cards this guy is likely to throw that score may not be out of the question.