US v Costa Rica

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Mar 18, 2013.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Happy for Justin Morrow, Cleveland native and former Cleveland International :handgestures-thumbupleft:

3. Clevelandmo

What I would like to see, but of course we wont:

----------Guzan, the man------
    Cameron--Goodson--Gonzalez--Morrow
    -------------Edu or Jones------------
    ---Beasley ---Bradley----Dempsey
    ---------Jozy-------Gomez---

Bring on EJ at 60 min.

We are in serious trouble

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Morrow has to show up at LB - he's been great for the 'Quakes for the past two seasons and shouldn't shy from the call-up, come on, son and get in there. The defense looks pretty raw - I'm not concerned with the attacking options, but the defense, oh boy...

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Not sure how I feel about getting your debut in a WCQ, if we don't get Herc and Jozy starting up front, I'm going to shout something unkind at my television set.

6. nevzter

Should've articulated better, but yeah, my gut is there too re Morrow. But I'm lacking better choices at this point - although Parkhurst, whilst not playing, could be a better option at LB. Don't want to see Beasley there, but, that may be the case.

Where's Heath Pearce at this moment?

7. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

An awful lot of zeros next to those names in the goals column...

8. Clevelandmo

I have faith Morrow would rise to the occasion, but then again I'm a loyal believer in his pedigree. Dont want to see Beasley there either but the pundits are speculating it may be him or Shea at LB.

9. Clevelandmo

Are you talking the numbers in ( )'? . . . I know Klejstan has some goals in WCQ so I dont trust those numbers. He got a brace it a WC qualifier once did he not.

Also, this would've been a great time to call in Brad Davis, WTH?

10. SoCalJoe

Chandler picked up a hamstring injury in the 84th minute and came off over the weekend. Mo, your above back 4 might be the call since Cameron has played a ton of RB at Stoke. Ives is speculating about Beas at LB, but he's proven that ain't his bag, and JK should be fired on the spot if he starts Shea back there. As much as I'm not a fan, would prefer Goodson over Edu at CB if Cameron is moved out wide. Bradley only came on in the final 20 minutes, Clint the second half..I don't remember when it's been this dire in the midfield/back line. However, the form of the frontline is excellent, so hope we can outscore the Ticos.

11. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

That back line + Azteca = ut oh

12. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

RT ‏@NickFirchau Most interesting tidbit from US camp in Denver: Brian McBride working with team, via Klinsmann's invite, until Wednesday.

13. nevzter

Any association Mr. McBride may have with the USMNT is welcome. Good to hear he's working with the club as they could [should] certainly conjure his heart in the next two matches.

For what it's worth, I wore McBride's shirt (07/08 vintage, like a fine wine it ages well...) yesterday and it brought some good juju vs Spurs. Gonna bust it out again on Friday.

Again, the defense lineup makes me nervous - but new folks need to be bled, and I guess in the wisdom of der kommissar, it is during qualifiers. I'm not going to be pessimistic...because "I come for the strudel. It's great."

14. Clevelandmo

Yes, some of those players certainly could use McBride's heart and intelligence. But frankly, considering our defense, I would feel better had Bocanegra been invited for his experience and wisdom rather than McBride. Klinsmann is just all over the freakin' place; what a mess.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Brian is not under contract to a team and, unlike Bocanegra, has no workplace to be absent from.

16. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Let's not forget the little point that Bocanegra is also not retired from the national team as well. I doubt it would play well to say "I really don't think you are playing well enough to call up but hey how about coming over and teaching these newbs a thing or two?"

17. Clevelandmo

Why is it not obvious that I was saying Boca should have been called up. You guys seriously think I was suggesting he should be brought in as a consultant :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: . Even if he doesnt start he can help the new players.

However, Boca was the best player on the pitch for the Jamaica qualifier in Columbus last September. I doubt much has changed with his abilities since then. I could care less that he is not getting time in Spain. Dos Santos didnt get time with that very same team but did Mexico stop calling him up? No because they are capable of actually settling on who their players are going to be. I cant believe I just used Mexico as an example of how we should do things :angry-banghead:

18. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Random thoughts and questions:

It is frightening that our entire allotment of defensive field players have fewer WC caps than Sacha Kljestan.

At some point doesn't Joe Corona have to get a starting shot with the senior side. Starting for the Liga MX champions and Copa group leaders has to be a good training ground doesn't it?

It is time for Clint Dempsey to return to the left midfield position to free up spots up top for Herc and Jozy. This team needs his leadership and experience supporting the left back more than him roaming the center of the pitch at the moment.

If eight of the call ups to this squad featured in a 0-0 draw to Canada is the US doomed?

Are the goals somehow mysteriously camoflauged for US matches because Jozy and Herc seem to be able to find them easily enough when not earning caps?

Does Brad Guzan work as a mild-mannered reporter by day? (I personally hope so)

Consistency is important. That is the reason Clint is the only US player to feature in all the qualifying matches during this cycle.

If Bradley, Zusi, Dempsey and Edu all earn yellows in Friday's match will Hatter and Matt get their first caps against Mexico?

19. SoCalJoe

Before answering your questions Barry, let me backtrack and completely agree with Mo...I also can't believe she used Mexico as an example on how to do things :angelic-green:

Pretty scary Sacha is a grizzled veteran compared to the defense, and Mo all joking aside having Boca in camp (not starting) over Edu would have been fine with me.

Something tells me that we all will need a Corona when the boys travel to Azteca.

A HUGE YES on Clint moving back into his old spot. Let Herc and Jozy terrorize and free Deuce for what he does best and that is being at the right place at the right time.

Barry, was it necessary to even bring up that Canada game? luckily I only watched the last 10 minutes, but still 10 minutes I'll never have back.

I hope it's a no on the disappearing goals, Jozy and/or Herc better step up, but hope we provide them with some decent service.

Guzan will need to have his red cape on.

Can being consistently inconsistent be regarded as consistent?

As long as we can roll out Beckerman as well :shock: I'm okay with HD and Matt, but they'll need to put on rasta wigs, didn't Jamaica get a point in Mexico City?

Another question...How soon can we retire the horrendous volunteer nurse unis and use the throwbacks???

20. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member