US Team: time for Eddie Johnson to be sat down

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Mar 31, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Check out this page of linked articles on Sam's Army web page

Check out the player ratings.

Even in the listless performance against a packed up Guatemala, EJ shows he clearly lacks confidence. And being included on the US team, only to perform to lower than his expected standards isnt helping him.

Bradley needs to assure Eddie that he'll have a place when his MLS performance improves.. this seems obvious to us but maybe not to EJ.

Let him focus, or the end result will be Clint Mathis redux.

2. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

yep!!! just posted about this on the thread about the Guatemala match. Wynalda hit on this hard as well in the post match commentary

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Although I love to disagree with 'fog, I hate to disagree with dogg [can't resist a rhyme!]

I didn't get a chance to see the Guatemala match, but I was somewhat impressed with EJ in the Ecuador match. I thought he made several intelligent runs. I'd have like him to convert the one easy chance he had, but then again, if Montella had converted either of the two set-ups he had on Saturday ...

Any how, I think Bradley has him playing better than any of his recent coaches have. I think it's too early to give up on him. Of course, he has a couple of months of MLS to go before the next opportunity.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Did I say give up on him?

I said that Bradley or whoever would be doing him a big favor by taking the pressure off. If he KNOWS he has a place when he gets his confidence back... and he works hard in his club to do that, then he comes right back.

But he begins to look more and more like a four year old handed a whiffle bat for the first time who hits every ball thrown within reach of his swing.. simply because he doesnt know how hard it is to do that.

5. kov4ffc

kov4ffc New Member

I believe you are right. I like Donovan and Ching together. EJ would be a great second half sub for Ching against tired legs. Until he shows he is completely past his crisis of confidence, he should sub only. Score a few and get a swagger going, then who know?

6. BoilerBen

BoilerBen New Member

EJ has been lacking, however he had his first MLS hat trick last night against New England. Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come from EJ!!! We could really use him this summer!!

7. YankeeJim

YankeeJim New Member

I have to disagree with 'Fog in that the way to build confidence is to go out & get it back. Brian Ching puts out the effort but he just palin disappears against anything above the level of MLS. He has demostrated to me that, while a good player, he isn't good enough to be with the Nats. EJ at least might be. Give EJ the ball

8. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Re: RE: US Team: time for Eddie Johnson to be sat down

The hat trick led to Johnson's 4th, 5th, and 6th goals of the season. Only Taylor Twellman has more goals (7). Also consider that EJ has 3 assists to go with those goals (whereas Twellman has none), meaning he's setting up some goals in addition to scoring them.

Eddie Johnson may have found his form again, as they say; as EJ did it against a very good New England team this recent weekend.

Also consider that no one else that isn't on the U-20 team has so much potential at forward as EJ does. I think he'll keep getting caps and chances until one of those U-20s steps it up later (e.g. Altidore, Ferrari)

9. kov4ffc

kov4ffc New Member

RE: Re: RE: US Team: time for Eddie Johnson to be sat down

I'm glad to see EJ is returning to form. EJ should get his caps. However, I still like the way Ching and Donovan work together. I think Ching's physicality and ability to play with his back to goal maximizes Donovan's talents and for now, he is our best threat. EJ, as a second half sub, speeds things up at just the right time against potentially tired legs.

10. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Well two straight games with hat tricks shows confidence is soaring and he is making his stamp on the scoring title for the MLS.

Hopefully his form will transfer over to the Gold Cup and even more importantly to the Copa America.

11. kov4ffc

kov4ffc New Member

EJ played well against T&T. Ching blew a couple of chances but his work rate was very good, too. Nice to have options. I did not see the Guatamala game, but heard the USA did not play that well. Considering the 3 bad offside calls in the first half, the T&T game really wasn't very close. How do some of these guys become FIFA refs?

12. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Worst linesman I've seen in quite some time. The players were clearly onside and those were wondeful opportunities that went to waste.