UEFA Cup via Fair Play League?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by heestj10, May 12, 2008.

1. heestj10

heestj10 New Member

After the officials submit the match reports the final fair play league table will be released, I am guessing by the May 14th. As I am sure most of you know that Fulham may now qualify for the UEFA cup via the fair play league. As much as I want to enjoy the last weeks of the season and Fulham's survival I can't help but think about the prospects of European footy next season.

Here are my thoughts:

First off, only Fulham could avoid relegation and qualify for Europe on the same day. If that isn't Fulhamish I don't know what is.

Second, the prospect of Europe (admittedly in a second tier competition) may be positive in attracting new players and keeping the quality players we have. While it is doubtful a UEFA cup place would keep a player for signing with the "Big 4" it may be enough to direct players toward the Cottage instead of other middle tier clubs like Man City or West Ham

Third, I think the first qualifying round games, as well as other early round matches, may be a more effective tune-up for the season. Preseason games with something on the line may have the benefit of getting players focused for the early part of the season as opposed to a meaningless kick around against QPR or some third rate side from the continent. (Yes I realize they may be playing a third rate side from the continent in the first qualifying round, but at least then the game would have meaning).

Fourth, if Brian McGod does decide he has another season in him it would be great to see him play in a European competition. He is a class act and demonstrates everything we want to see in our athletes. Hard working, humble, etc. I am sure other Fulham faithful feel the same way.

I know that nothing is finalized and that if the spot in the UEFA cup comes it may be an unwanted distraction, but I am giddy with the prospect of European matches next term. Especially since I think the competition's qualifying rounds start in two weeks! :D

COYW!!!!!

2. sublicon

sublicon New Member

There's already a thread on this.

3. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

It is still fun to talk about though, Fulham going to Europe. Has a nice ring to it.

4. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Fulham's goal next year, like every year, should be to not get relegated.

Secondly, although the possibility of playing in Europe feels good, Fulham can't afford to compete in Europe. The tournament will just make it harder, next year, for Fulham to stay up. You got to have depth to play in Europe and Fulham hardly has any.

5. jlough

jlough New Member

Wouldn't that be something. I agree. It would attract better players during the summer and might keep some of the best ones around. It will mean the need for better depth.

6. sublicon

sublicon New Member

Lyle, let's take a second to breathe, shall we? *deep breath* . . Okay, here's two pieces of news for you.

1. We're Safe!
    2. The 2007/08 season is OVER!

Okay, with that in mind, please remember that over these breaks between seasons, teams typically bring in new signings, send players on loan or sell them to other clubs, and generally try to improve on the previous year.

Yes, yes, I know, Sanchez was tasked with doing this. But now St. Woy's in charge, baby, and it's the dawn of a new era.

If we have a UEFA Cup spot, Woy's not only planning to have us mid-table, but he's also planning on putting together a solid enough squad so that we can handle both the task of Europe and the Premiership.

It seems foolish, but the gaffer knows what we need to do. See the signature . . learn it, know it, live it.

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Not optimistic that the FA will award us this spot. From the sounds of it the scoring is complicated and is a secretive combination of different factors (how do they calculate fan behavior? # of arrests?? management behavior? critical quotes in the press??). The Oliver Stone in me says that the FA will re-calculate the scoring so that the 17th place team doesn't get in. Nevermind the MAF factor.

8. jmh

jmh New Member

9. Lyle

Lyle New Member

No, I wasn't aware Fulham is staying up and that the season is over. I also made the mistake in thinking that this thread was about next season and not this season. Forgive me for my stupidity.

Maybe you're right and Fulham will aim really high next year, but Al Fayed and Hodgson know that the only real goal for Fulham every year is to stay up. It's when you try to shoot for the stars that teams muck up and get relegated. The problem with spending "big" is that if it doesn't work, what do you do to fix it when you have no more money? Leeds and Nottingham Forest, two way bigger clubs than Fulham, played in League One this year... cause they spent too much while in the top league.

Hoping for European glory with Fulham is a lose, lose propisition. Winning the FA Cup or League Cup is much more realistic. I mean look at what Harry Redknapp said after Sunday's defeat.... it was a great season for Portsmouth, we can't do much better than we've done. Fulham can probably only ever get about that far as well... which isn't even a European spot acquired by place.

And Portsmouth has been building up to this year. Now their owner wants to sell the team. So a great future ahead for them... much like Fulham whenever Al Fayed pulls out of it.

10. sublicon

sublicon New Member

Truly poor attempt at sarcasm, man. Sorry, not even sure what your goal was there. You strike me as the worst type of pessimist. You're basing next season on our quality this season. The quality will be different because Hodgson is going to make sure it's different. Nothing more to be said on that. If you don't get it now, you won't ever.

I hope we get the UEFA Cup spot and I hope the boys milk it for what it's worth.

That is all.

11. Lyle

Lyle New Member

You're the one who decided to point out to me that Fulham won on Sunday and didn't get relegated. What other kind of response did you think you had coming?

I'm not a pessimist; I'm an objectivist. Fulham has finished in the top Ten once, so mathematically it'll be an anomaly if Fulham finishes in the Top Ten next year. Do I hope it happens? Yes. Do I think it will happen? No.

Fulham aren't a team anyone should ever have high expectations for, that's because more often than not they won't be able to deliver. I think it's better to have low expectations and then be presently surprised when they do better than expected.

So by all means you glory hunters (not you Sublicon) should go follow Chelsea or the like.

12. sublicon

sublicon New Member

The sarcasm wasn't even clear. My point in relaying that information was that you were dooming next season as if the same manager will be in charge (he will, but he will have a full pre-season and a half a season more than he did this year), and the same players will be on the field.

Next season will not be an exact replica of this one, I'm sorry to disappoint you.

Edited your post for accuracy. Your problem is you're ignoring all of the variables involved here. If Chris Coleman was still in charge, you'd have a point. If Lawrie Sanchez was still in charge, you'd have a point.

However, it's a new era, new manager, Fulham is passing now not sending long balls anymore, it's a completely different on-field product. So it doesn't make sense to act as if the exact same results will happen next season. I know you wanna sh*t on everyone's parade, but lighten up a little.

13. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Fulhamusa just wouldn't be Fulhamusa be without its resident curmudgeon Lyle.

14. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I don't consider staying up in the EPL as "dooming" the season. If that's as good as it ever gets for Fulham.... Yay!!!

... and cut the personal stuff out. I know you don't like that I disagree with you, but grow the hell up and stop acting like a child. Get over the fact that when you write something online people may actually disagree with you. If it bothers you, fight back with a rational argument rather than resorting to the middle school tactics of personal attacks.

15. sublicon

sublicon New Member

What the hell are you talking about? I said you were spewing bile, and that you needed to lighten up. Are you kidding me with this?

Someone get this guy a hug, stat.

16. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

back to the subject at hand, we ain't gonna get it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008 ... rcity.uefa

Probably just as well anyhow. A crowded fixture list the first couple of months will make it difficult for us to get off to a decent start. I'm more interested in the FA Cup and even the League Cup than this one.

18. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

While the idea of being in the UEFA Cup was great the reality was I do not think it was the best thing for Fulham right now. Being in the UEFA Cup would have Fulham playing matches in July and training would start in June meaning the players would get very little time off.

As Don mentioned this would mean that Fulham would have a have a lot of fixtures at the beginning of the season and it would make it tough to get off to a strong start in the league which would not be good.

Additionally, the extra fixtures could potentially take an already thin squad and make it thinner through injuries fatigue, etc.

Premier League survival is the most important thing for next season and the club has to make sure the team is ready to start strong in August so we do not have to hope for another miracle escape in April and May of 2009.

I am not saying I would have opposed a UEFA Cup spot, but in looking at the big picture, I do not think it is best for the club at this point and time. Perhaps before the 2008-2009 season would be better.

19. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln New Member

Would've loved Fulham to nick that slot. European competition, combined with London location, would've been a nice present for Roy to have in setting up his sales pitch to potential players.

20. Bradical

Bradical Member

I'm quite disappointed... I'm worried that the extra time off will not benefit the club, and that UEFA play in July would have allowed to momentum gained during the last 5 games to carry on. Also would have made the club more attractive to potential transfers.