U.S. vs Argentina

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Kickflip89, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

Well, it's about that time. Paraguay - Columbia is 1-0 at 30 mins btw. My guess on the Starting line up:

--------------Keller------------------
    Wynn--DeMerit--Conrad--Pearce-
    Kljestamaniac--Feilhaber--Clark--Mapp-
    ----------Johnson-----Davies-------------

My guess on the result: 3-0 to the Args.

2. psand22

psand22 Member

Is the Arg - US game going to be on tv?

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It's on Telefutura and GolTV.

Anybody for the chatroom?

4. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Anyone going to be in the chat room during the match?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Read before you type...apologies Don.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

you really need to read the post just above you before YOU post, pard. See you in the chatroom!

6. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

Official lineup:

Keller
    Wynn DeMerit Conrad Bornstein
    Olsen Feilhaber Clark Mapp
    Johnson Twellman

Could be worse.

7. Team_of_McBrides

Looks like the MLS All Star lineup...

Wynn and Bornstein are completely outclassed...

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

well, once Tevez came on the pitch, everybody was outclassed. We need to thank Keller for his service and let Guzan start the rest of the matches.

Conrad was great out there, and DeMerit was good, as was Clark, but there were too many no-shows -- Wynne, Twellman especially. need to get our shit together or there'll only be two more matches for us.

9. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

Bornstein played well...come on...admit it.

AND, I've been a huge fan of Jimmy Conrad playing on the national team, so take THAT Gooch / Boca lovers!

10. Team_of_McBrides

Bornstein forgot that he is a defender...Twellman's first touch can in the 55th minute and we lacked the pressure in attack to really worry the Argentines defense.

Quality finishes on the final three goals. Tevez looked like he was shot out of a canon for his goal and Aimar's header...class class class.

11. tibor

tibor New Member

game was good for 60 minutes then got ugly faster than Rosie at a pie eating contest.

12. Team_of_McBrides

Interesting analogy. Match got off to a brilliant start, but we all knew that the Argentines class would come out sooner or later. It was just a matter of time and how the USMNT would react when it did.

13. tibor

tibor New Member

You know what it really reminded me of actually (no offense to the earlier statement I hope)...an NCAA basketball tourney between a 1 and 16 seed. Game is close for awhile, you get that little bit of hope for the underdog, then the favorite goes on a quick 10-0 run and all of a sudden a few minutes later you're down by 30 and they're throwing up alley oops left and right.

14. Team_of_McBrides

Good analogy. Seems the USMNT was outclassed and the shear quality of the Argentine side came out as the match progressed. How long was Tevez on the pitch before he scored anyways? 5 minutes?

That being said, at least the yanks held them for 45 minutes. After that the flood gates opened and it was the unraveling of the US.

15. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

OK, I've had time to think about it, and will now spout off my untrained opinions on the match:

POSITIVE POINTS:

DeMerit and Conrad - they weren't perfect, but they were still pretty good...

Organized Midfield - the midfield defense was very well organized, and AT TIMES they played the ball very well to each other using quick one-touch passes.

Bornstein - face it...he went 1 on 1 with Messi twice and held his ground twice. He also did not loose Messi in a tricky wing play and ended up blocking his shot. Sure, he wasn't perfect, but it's definitely something to build on.

BAD:

Attack - Remember that good midfield ball movement that poked it's head from time to time? On the few occasions that it did showed up, the end of the build up went like this: Pass, pass, through ball...back pass stand still wondering what to do, try to run at Arg, loose possession.

Clearly, the attack is lost without Donovan and Beasley. I know there are plenty of people who think Mapp is 100 times better than Beasley, but he's clearly not.

EJ - You CAN run at defenders when it is 1 on 1, buddy

Gaven - What in the world was this sub about? The only thing I can think of is that Nguyen is sick and this was his only option to replace a gassed Olsen.

For me, the real question is this: HOW will the squad react under the direction of Bradley. This question won't be answered until the Paraguay and Columbia games are over. This is a great opportunity for these kids to learn from the lumps.

16. Team_of_McBrides

Agree with most of your reactions to the match. Not so much with the Mapp assessment. He provided good service, but if the forwards can't do anything to by the defense then you can't exactly blame the wings. The attack lacked imagination and if it wasn't for Johnson's ability to flop, looked like an Italian international for a brief moment, then odds are we wouldn't of scored a goal.

Paraguay could do the same thing to us that the Argentines did, but Columbia the USMNT has a better shot at. Fair play to the yanks though. They did a decent job of it in the first half. Keller made up for his failed attempt to stop the free kick with a terrific save on Veron's shot. Wasn't much he could do about the last three.

Improvement is needed...

17. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Anyone who looked at the team sheets could see that we were terribly outclassed. We would have had our hands more than full with our top team muchless with this B team. Its to bad they couldn't hang in there after taking the lead, but its best that we just move on.

The same Paraguay that looked so uninspired in Germany smashed Colombia, so that looks to be a tough one. We need at least a draw, hope for the best I guess. I'm depressed I won't be able to see it :3d crying:

18. Team_of_McBrides

Do you know when that match is schedule to be played Spencer?

19. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Monday I belive.

20. Team_of_McBrides

Thank you for the response. Duly noted and hopefully I will be able to get it on Telefetura or Univision.