Tottenham on bottom

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by RidgeRider, Sep 16, 2008.

1. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Ok, so if I remember correctly many of you, including many prognosticators in the media, picked Tottenham to finish 5th (or around there), some even had them at 4. I had them in bottom 10 in our prediction thread, because they were losing Keane and Berbatov, that was my whole reasoning cause I didn't know enough about the rest of the team.

I know it's early, but what about them got some of you thinking they would fight for top of 'the rest' this year? They may still of course but it looks like a rather weak start so far.

2. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Some things just don't seem to change. Like Tottenham sucking early in the season. They'll be top 10 at the end.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I picked them 10th. I'll stand by that.

4. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Just when I thought they were finally starting to tighten up their defense and midfield they lose their 2 goal scorers. Apparently for Tottenham the best defense is a good offense. Guess who won't be winning the table prediction showdown.

5. Silas

Silas New Member

I've already thrown my picks way out the door, I was far, far off on just about everything.

6. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I had Spurs 5th.

If you are looking to me for accuracy in prognostication, that is like looking at Paris Hilton as a role model.

That said, it is early -- Spurs are 20th, Fulham is 7th -- There may be a few changes in the near future.

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Think about this...In this calendar year they've sold DeFoe, Keane, and Berbatov. How many teams in the world have a strikeforce better than that??? Ramos is probably wondering why he left Spain in the first place. They'll do their normal run of good play and finish 7/8th place. Wonder how our resident high school soccer coach in Washington State (also a Spurs fan) feels about their start...Jensers??

8. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Oh man - sorry I missed this till now. SoCalJoe pointed me this way...

I dont personally think that the defense is THAT bad. Yes they have been making mistakes, but if the Berba/Keane combo was in the picture I think the defense would be good enough.

Are they good enough to win matches 1-0 all year long - NO. Some of the time? Yes
    Are they good enough to keep a 2 goal lead? Yes - the vast majority of the time.

I was attracted to Spurs because of their tradition of attack minded play. Right now they are creating chances and getting forward - things dont look that bad on the transition, but once they get to the attacking 1/3rd - it breaks down.

Much of this is the fault of the strikers:
    Bent is not good enough. (It is too bad that we are just now finding out that Defoe was good enough, because he said repeatedly that he would have loved to stay with the club before he was passed along...)
    Bent will not fight for the ball or take anyone on 1v1. He only wants balls over the top or sent thru. He makes almost no attempt to have the ball played to his feet. When we were without a second striker - it was almost comical to see Bent up there by himself. If the situation would have remained that way, we would have been in danger of relegation...
    We have not seen much from him, but up to this point, I have been disappointed in Chenko's skill level (He understand he needs time to settle), but his touches have been shocking for someone that was getting so much praise. It is hard when you are following Berba - a big man with such quality touch and ability to hold the ball - almost effortlessly. My expectations may be a little high.

I like the new kid from United - Campbell. He is young, but showing some promise. I think he will be an impact from the bench, and that he will also add some pressure for the starters. Kind of like Defoe when he was behind Berba/Keane.

In the midfield:
    Bentley's deliveries have been terrible, I know he is stressing over it - but that is supposed to be his specialty. Maybe we need someone else to take some of the restarts so to take the pressure off a little. I know he can do it - but it is a head game for him right now.
    Lennon has got to learn to cross the ball better... He does give the team a spark, but it is all for not if he cant deliver the ball properly...
    Bale looks much better in the midfield going forward - he is no defender...
    O'hara is hard-nosed in the center, and I think we need that. Modric getting hurt may be his chance to show he should be getting that spot on a regular basis.
    Modric... I have to agree with some of the commentators - when he went down with the knee 'injury' - it did look like he was trying to find an excuse to get the hell off the field. He has done very little with his minutes. I believe in the need for a creative player in the center, but he is not fast enough, or strong enough to overcome his slight stature. I hope I am wrong - but he looks a waste of money.
    Dos Santos has a similar problem, but he is so young - who knows how he will come out in the end. Have you seen up close pictures of him? He looks like he is 14 years old! He needs time to develop and I am not sure that is going to happen playing minutes in the EPL.

I am going on and on, but for me - the bottom line:

We lack a hero - a star - a leader... Who's jersey is going to sell out? I have no desire to wear the shirt of anyone on the team. Woodgate and Jenas are the closest thing I can see on the field that have experience and leadership, but Woodgate is fairly new - and he is no Spurs man. Jenas has been with the club for some time, but he leaves me cold.

Berba was amazing with the ball - and he made it look so easy. Yes he was a whiner and a head case, but his level of play made me want to emulate his style.
    Keane was the goal poaching, worker who filled you with joy when he found the net because of his charismatic celebrations and clear drive to win.

At present, the hole left by their departures seems a void that is unlikely to be filled - even in January given the fact that it always seems to take time for strikers to settle in the EPL.

Spurs will not be relegated, but they will not finish in the top 10.

I am not sure that this is a major problem for the club be honest. The optimistic view is that may be looking to the long term with these young players, and that it will be mid table for 3 or 4 years.
    The pessimistic view is that the Comolli (Director of Football) doesnt know anything about football and has just spent all the $ we got from Keane and Berba on players that will not make the ambitions of the club a reality.

Time will tell I suppose...

I do like the idea of the Director of Football being someone that the Manager appoints - and has the ability to get rid of if they are not following with the desire and direction given to them by the manager. I think it is clear that this position is not working as it currently sits.

9. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Jensers, I missed this post. Love your passion.

Ok, question on the table:

When will Ramos go?

Losing to Hull has got be it for them and Ramos. Have you all seen where Hull is in the table? Scary. No relegation battle for them.

10. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I don't think Hull is totally free and clear of the relegation fight -- remember, we won 4 games out of 5 last year at one (rather opportune) point.

A scary thing is that since they were pencilled in for one of the relegation spots, and our beloved whites have hit the skids lately, well, it's early but I think we are looking at more of the same ol' same ol' for Fulham. It will be a long 2 week break.

Of course, with Newcastle falling apart at the seams, maybe they will take Hull's place.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Brace yourself guys and gals:

Tottenham will NOT be relegated
    Newcastle will NOT be relegated

We're 17th; they're below us. NEITHER of them will be relegated.

It's going to be a long, gut-wrenching season. So brace yourselves guys and gals.

12. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

And neither will we.

13. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Tottenham, I agree. Newcastle, I'm not so sure about. How many players are looking at the mess they are in and counting the weeks until the January transfer window? Who can they buy in that time frame that would be any good? How soon until Michael Owen's next medical calamity?

I still think we have a good chance for a solid, Fulhamish season. Remember, 5 weeks ago we beat Arsenal. All the talent on this club did not suddenly disappear.

14. Jensers

Jensers New Member

To answer the Ramos question - Man, I dont know...

I can tell you that I am really tired of hearing from Gus Poyet after every match. As a supporter I have been trying to be understanding as far as Ramos goes and placing the blame (I believe rightfully) on Comolli - but this non-sense with Ramos not speaking English and sending Gus to do all the post match comments... I have had enough of that!

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I agree, Jensers. I'm almost finding it charming when the Scum's new boss goes out and stumbles over the English language -- even making jokes at his own expense. I think Ramos probably can handle it as well as he can.

16. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Something tells me Ramos will mysteriously appear if they when a match or two. Funny how losing has had an effect on his English :roll:

17. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I have not seen Tottenham play this season and I only know what I have read about them so take this with a grain of salt. It seems to me that Tottenham and Fulham are suffering from similar midfield problems. I am very confused why Spurs would buy Bentley and then play him on the left. Do they like Fulham have no left sided players? From what I read central midfield pairings seem to be a problem for Tottenham as well. Until Fulham and Tottenham sort out their midfield poor results could be the norm.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

BarryP, last season Spurs had a crappy defense. They also started the season with two incredible strikers backed up by an England international on the bench. Feeding them for many of their goals was a certain Steed Malbranque. They could always be had, but they always had the ability to outscore you.

This season all three of those strikers AND Malbranque are starting elsewhere -- two of them for Big Four clubs. Their still shipping goals, but they're not scoring them. ALL of this is the result of the transfers that were part of Ramos's grand design. Meanwhile Martin Jol's new club is top of the Bundesliga.

19. Jensers

Jensers New Member

The Hackman?

Lol!

Yeah - I have heard Ramos speak English and it is not even that bad - I actually think it was better than the Hackman.
    [​IMG]

20. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Is it me, or when anyone else looks at Tottenham's roster do you think,

"Wait, they're still on the team??"

Just look at this list: King, Stalteri, Lennon, Boateng, Rocha, Ghaly, Jenas...

That's a recipe for disaster.