The Return of "Big Mac"

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by omsdogg, Jan 15, 2008.

1. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Fulham captain McBride closes on first-team comeback after returning to full training
    LONDON (AP) — Fulham captain Brian McBride has returned to training after being sidelined five months with a knee injury.
    The former U.S. national team star dislocated his left kneecap while scoring in a 2-1 Premier League loss to Middlesbrough on Aug. 18, but Fulham said Tuesday that he is nearing a comeback after completing a full first-team training session last week.

Fulham, which had expected the 35-year-old striker to forward to action in December, said it was too early to speculate on when McBride would be fit enough for the Premier League. He could play for Fulham's reserve team as part of his rehabilitation, with the second string's next match at home to Reading on Jan. 22.

McBride has been at Fulham since January 2004. He also played with Everton, Preston and the Columbus Crew.

Without its main striker, Fulham has scored just 23 goals in 22 matches and slipped to 19th in the 20-team Premier League, putting it on course to be relegated.

Cannot wait for his first appearance on the pitch (with the first team). I hope it's at the Cottage and that he gets the roar he deserves.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

amen, doggie. And may his first touch back at the Cottage have the same POSITIVE result as his last touch did. GGGGGOOOOOAAAAALLLLL

Sign of the cross; kiss the ring; hug the teammates!

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

From the club news section on the Official..Big Mac played a full 90 in the reserve today :banana: RH watched and was encouraged that he's closing in on a return. Also thanked Bob Bradley for letting EJ miss the Feb 6 US match v Mexico, and will be available on Sunday

4. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

That is great news. I'm excited for him to be back.

5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Exxceeellllent.

To be honest, I didn't think we'd ever see him in the shirt again. Knee injuries on the wrong side of 30 are never a good thing...but what a testament to his work ethic (and healing ability!) that he is coming back. He epitomizes class and grit - two things Fulham desperately need right now.

6. sublicon

sublicon New Member

I was saying at the bar yesterday . . so many guys have left, so many guys are out injured. Volzy coming back made me feel like I was watching Fulham again. McBride will be another bonus. I can't wait.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

When he went down, the team's heart, soul, and guts took a huge hit. I heard "late February" as late as Monday. Maybe it'll be sooner.

Healy must be turning cartwheels

8. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Two very good bits of good news. Glad to hear the Mac is working his way back and that EJ will be available for the Villa match.

9. jmh

jmh New Member

That's a good point. Crazy though it seems, Volzy (who's been with the club since 2003) is our longest tenured senior player.

(I mean, not that it's crazy that Volzy has been around the longest, but that we don't have anyone who's been around for more than five years.)

10. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Fantastic news. Can't wait to see Mac back with the first team and Johnson should provide some much needed pace up front.

Couldn't agree more about Volzy either. He may not be the most talent player Fulham has, but as of late he has shown without a shadow of a doubt the most heart. Keep hustling Volzy.

11. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Everything is turning up FulhAMERICA!!!!!!

12. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

cannot wait!!! will he be given the Captain's armband again? Will he even see the pitch with all the new striker's?

13. jmh

jmh New Member

Given that RH hasn't named a new captain, I'd guess that he still considers McHead to be the skipper.

14. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

from the offal:

"We mustn't overestimate the level of opposition. It was an extremely young Cardiff team and that game was nothing like a Premier League game but the really positive thing is that our captain, Brian, who is a really influential character and person, is well on the road to recovery. We’re hoping that if he continues at this rate it won’t be long before we see him in the First Team."

Looks like he is still the Captain.

15. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

and then this from the Times:

McBride returns

"Brian McBride, the Fulham captain, could give his side a surprise boost in their battle to avoid relegation. The striker has been out of action for five months with a dislocated kneecap and was not expected to return until the end of next month. However, he made a goalscoring comeback for the reserve team yesterday in a friendly. Fulham’s medical team will monitor him over the next 48 hours and he may be included in the squad to face Aston Villa on Sunday."

not only did he return for the full '90, but he scored as well.

16. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

nice to hear.
    I wonder if he'll play with the team in the Championship next year, or move back to MLS. I'd like to see him stay - at Fulham or somewhere else in the EPL.

17. jmh

jmh New Member

I think the prevailing opinion seemed to be that he'd be heading back to MLS at the end of this season.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think that was his plan, and I doubt if he'd get a new contract for another season with us -- not at his age and with his medical condition.

If he comes back and we stay up, I think he becomes a Fulham legend.

19. sublicon

sublicon New Member

Boi-oi-oi-oi-oing!!! Right in the back of the ol' onion bag!