The Ones That Got Away

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Sep 4, 2015.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I was looking at the Euro qualifying results today, saw Serbia's score, and immediately remembered that the length of time the USMNT has been lucky to have one quality CB is pretty much the same length of time Thomas Rongen cost us the services of Neven Subotic. Where could we have been the last two World Cups if we'd had him anchoring our defense the last 7 or 8 years. He's still under 30 and still playing for Dortmund.

Any others?

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Just when I had finally gotten over Subotic...There has been plenty of spinning by Rongen over the years on that one (pretty sure his story has changed 3 or 4 times). First name that immediately popped into my head is Guiseppi Rossi. I know he left for Italy as a teenager, but he talks like an American.

3. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I think Italy was always option #1 for Rossi.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

It was Rossi's #1 choice for sure (especially his Dad's), but a kid born and raised in Jersey and still spends his offseason here, falls in this category, at least for me.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I've become seriously addicted to Borussia Dortmund over the last few months, and this weekend's match was against Koln -- featuring Subotic. He's still a fine defender, and it still pisses me off that Rongen cost us his services during the last two World Cup. HE WANTED TO PLAY FOR THE US, dammit

SoCalJoe likes this.