The Model T turns 100

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jul 22, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Hats and Horns everyone! The first 'T' was produced Oct 1 1908.

Ford is doing a national celebration tour in honor of the car that put everyday Joe on wheels.

This is posted in the Tech forum because that's where it belongs. The Model T ushered in not only wheels for the working class but factory wages to be able to afford them.
    It made it possible for small farmers to see the advantages of mechanization, indeed if it werent for the precedent set by the adaption of the car as truck, and sometimes even tractor, the family farm would have quickly become extinct.

Sometimes Henry Ford is derided as anti-union {he was} but he was far from being a 'slave-wage' advocate. When other factory owners complained about his workers' wage rates, he said "Why should I have my workers make something they can't afford to buy?"

As a bigot -he was-, and racist -he wasnt, he gave Booker T Washington his own research Lab at Ford- a Nazi Sympathizer.. - he wasnt, he was a paleo-con isolationist/world market advocate.

Ford threw itself into war production when called on but Henry made sure that there was no profit made from war production. From either the US or German plants {not that he had much say about the German plant, in the end.}

2. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Good to know. I never like seeing people who are gone and generally well regarded get taken out of context and hit below the belt by people operating with the notion that someones entire lives work is to be disregarded because he or she once said such and such or slept with so and so.