The Jorge Posada Sweepstakes...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Smokin', Nov 9, 2007.

1. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

As a Yanks fan and a huge fan of Jorge Posada I'm wondering what the grumblings of the baseball world think of him being on the open market. Word today is that he isnt entertain the offers thrown at this agents and that he wishes to establish market value.

I love this guy. IF he gets through the remainder of this contract with no injuries he may well be one of the top 5 all around catchers in HISTORY. Not to mention a shoe in for the hall.

Before you disagree, look up Hall of Fame catchers and see that he is well on his way.

I hope the Yanks keep him and pay him upwards of 13 / yr with 3 or 4 years depending. It looks like Jorge wants exactly that and I know plenty of teams will drive it up perhaps even OVER that.

Hip hip Jorge!!

2. jmh

jmh New Member

As a Mets fan, I have no desire to see my team give more than one year (maybe two) to a 36-year-old who's caught a LOT of games in his career and stands very little chance of duplicating the career year he just finished.

3. mcwarrior31

mcwarrior31 New Member

Well said jmh. Jorge is a Yankee and I doubt seriously that he will find another club willing to pay him what the Yankees would. I reluctantly agree that he is a fine catcher that hits pretty well too. However, like jmh said, he 36 yo. He might actually find it tough to get a job anywhere if the Yankees go young. The evil empire did do something right in hiring Joey G. He is from my home town and I think one of the great defensive catchers I have seen play.

4. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Story on espn.com today says that he's very close to re-signing with the Yanks. I would post a link to it, but inexplicably, espn.com isn't loading right now.

I do think giving a catcher his age a big contract is risky, but he is one of the most underrated players of his era.

5. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

Than Yanks signed him to a well deserved bloated contract.

People forgett that SOME catchers play into their late 30's, especially the great ones who have staying power as the season goes on. Jorge has that. People may also forget that Jorge didnt touch a catchers glove til the year before he got called up to the Yanks.... he was a second basemen basically his whole career. My point? He has at least 10 less years / seasons on his knees and still has never spent a significant amount of time on the DL. Had Jorge hit the open market the Mets would have snatched him up with something comparative as far as contracts go.

Yeah he's 36, like that matters anymore.

I give him two more great years to round off at 15 seasons of exceptional baseball.

I also think he'll be in the hall of fame:

Scoff if you will:

Hall of famers:
    http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hof/hofstca.shtml

Jorge:
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/posadjo01.shtml

No, he'll never catch the most games, he isnt the best ever... but there are only 16 catchers in the HOF, Jorge's projected career numbers make him more likely to get in then Derek Jeter in comparison to others who won the award at his position. I'm not saying thats gonna happen either.

I'm glad this transpired as it did. I would rather keep Mo' and Jorge in pinstripes for the rest of their careers than win another championship... hopefully i'll get both.

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Jorge has been a great professional and has had a solid career, but if he was playing anywhere else but in New York, he would have a little to no chance of being a hall-of-famer. He had a career year in the final year of his contract (always shocking when that happens) and received probably 20-25 million more because of it. I honestly don't think he would've gotten anything more than a 3 yr/30 mill contract from anyone else.

7. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

What does NY have to to with OBP? Sure it helps runs, RBI, etc... but the guy is gifted... why does everyone hate so much?

I even conceded that DJ isnt hall of fame material, but he'll get in, WHY? Because he's a Yankee.

Your right about all those other teams. I believe he derserves, as a home team concession, and extra year for sticking around.

Just check the numbers.

I'm not arguing, but HOF catchers dont come around to often...

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

He'll make the Hall because he played in NY. It's that simple. When Phil Rizzuto made it, it was pretty obvious that this was the key.

I also think he'll be back to hitting .275 next year, but fair do's on the lad. He and A-Rod were the only guys bringing it day after day for the Yanks.

And, as for "why does everyone hate so much," I'm reminded of a Tom Boswell quote: "Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for Standard Oil." I never liked the Yankees much, although I've admired many of their players over the years, but I especially don't like Yankees fans. During the early 60s when CBS owned the Yanks, we saw them here in the hinterlands every Saturday and Sunday on TV. My pop and I would watch horrified as Mickey Mantle was booed EVERY TIME he came up to bat in the Stadium. If he got a hit, the booing stopped. If he tatered, he got cheers. And then, the next time up, the booing started again. This for a guy who, at times, could bearly walk without pain.

So sorry, lad. No love for the Yanks, and no love for the Yankee fans that boo their own players.

9. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

Fair is fair. We deal with a different sporting atmosphere here. I was brought up in it so I cant' see it from the outside.