The Beckham Watch

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FFCinPCB, Aug 9, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

2. BarryP

BarryP New Member

3. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

And he scores possibly the goal of the season against the arguably best club team in Europe.

You could argue his competency, but you'd look awfully bitter and unreasonable.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Who argues his skill? I thought it was interesting the FSC guys more or less called it.

Classic Beckham Bend.

5. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I thought Delagarza, the Galaxy RB, had a very good game against Barca. You can expect Donovan and Becks to make a good showing, but for a rookie to make that much of an impression (admittedly more defensively than offensively) is a rare sign.

Not saying the kid is ready to be signed for Barca, but if I were a mid table La Liga team, I'd be taking a look with investment in mind.

6. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

He and his marketing organization created another promotional campaign with that one last night.

He's not the brightest bulb, and perhaps I am too sentimental, but I really appreciate the message of the "Impossible is Nothing" promotion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr44liaDeS0

7. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Goal of the season?

Hmmmm... I hope not - we would need to be fairly desperate.

The bottom line is that DB can still play. The Gals are smart - find DB, and then DB quickly find LD. This is the game-plan. Nobody other than these 2 should ever take more than 2 touches.

It will work in MLS up to the point where DB's old bones start to fail him due to his current year-round schedule.

The crazy thing about his goal is the angle of his run-up... It is amazing he doesnt fall down after the strike - and it was a good one. I am not 100% sure why the keeper didnt cheat over to that side when he made his run because it was obvious to everyone exactly where he was going to put it. He was within touching distance of the far post! I doubt he would have gotten to it, but he wouldnt have looked so helpless.

8. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

ALL THINGS CONSIDERED, it most definitely was and was one for the ages for the local league. Most players would have retired from the game and gone into hiding by now with the abuse he has dealt with, but not only does he overcome that, he demands the ball and the kick, and then to completely stick it in his detractors' ears, he puts it in the top left (and yes, from a very wicked angle of a run-up) against the current #1 Club Team in the World.

Sorry, few if any others could have made that shot, much less asked to take it, ALL THINGS CONSIDERED

9. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Sorry, WB, but a free kick goal from "the sweet spot" (which is exactly where the foul occurred) is never going to be considered goal of the season, especially when it occurs in a meaningless friendly. I bet Becks has over a 50% scoring rate from that spot over his career.

10. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Never say never. I consider it the goal of the season, so that makes at least one of us.

11. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

It was a wonderful goal. I've watched it a dozen or so times online. It's definitely a contender for goal of the year.

12. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

That makes two. Can I get a third??

13. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

14. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

The Galaxy have some young talent on the backline. De La Garza has been pretty good this year. Omar Gonzalez is also a rookie this year who has been decent. Plus, they have Sean Franklin, 2008 Rookie of the Year, but he is out for the season with a hamstring injury.

15. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I thought the goals scored by the LAG against NYRB were better - one hit volleys out of the air.

Plus there's the 60 yd goal KC scored against LAG (during which the LAG starting keeper was hurt).

16. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Did you see fred's goal this weekend? That was an amazing goal- a rocket!

I don't know- thanks DB for your time, but go ahead and buy out of your contract and find a mid table team in the epl. All of the attention, good and bad, has brought the league to life a bit, but seems like it has run it's course.

17. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Now that would have been something: he scores the goal, tears off his shirt, applauds the fans, throws the shirt in the stands, and walks off the pitch to never come back.

18. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Okay Beckham's goal was excellent but we all know that he can do that. That is why he is being paid enormous bucks by MLS (he pretty much owes that to Galaxy and MLS). It is not goal of the year. I'm with AndyP, I'lll take one of those volleys v. Redbulls.

I love Beckham as a player (only as a player because once he opens his mouth I shudder). I love his "impossible is nothing" attitude that allowed him to show his critics wrong numerous times. But that is exactly why it is so annoying that he excuses his loan in Serie A and lack of commitment to LA with "ask any player if they had the chance to play with one of the best teams. . .. " ya da ya da yahhhhh dahhh or whatever he said. If it was no secret to a know nothing like me that David Beckham was good enough to play for AC Milan, then it certainly shouldnt have been a surprise to David "Mr. Impossibe is nothing" Beckham. He deserves the criticism he's getting in this case and the truth is he can handle it just fine. 'Bhoy you dont need to defend Beckham. He can take care of himself and as 'Fog pointed out no one on this site has ever questioned his ability. Why dont you use that energy to defend some of our loyal US MNT players, like say DMB?

19. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Because he unfortunately impressed me in person as a bit of a punk, with some loud-mothed skeezer who had the class of a pickle jar.

20. Aztattooedsean77

Aztattooedsean77 New Member

I only got to see Beckham for 17 minutes on my one night trip to LA as he got himself a well earned red card in his team's 2-0 defeat to my Sounders!! :D 8)