The Beckham Watch

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FFCinPCB, Aug 9, 2007.

1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

It is entertaining on so many levels, but my favorite is watching and listening to "sports guys", who know nothing or next to nothing about the sport or Beckham, get all upset about him not playng yet.

That said, what do you think the chances are that he has changed his mind about the whole thing, and now is considering alternatives?

I'd say it is a real possibility, but he will at least play a couple of matches this season (since the LA Beckhams won't be making the playoffs).

Next season? Now that will be a question mark that lingers all off-season.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Beckham is in for the long haul at the HDC, and he'll contribute on and off the field. He is nowhere near done, which we could all see for ourselves if MLS hadn't insisted on his playing in a meaningless exhibition against The Undead. Sidwell scythed him down like he was his ex-teammate going after Cech, and the ankle hasn't healed yet.

Not that I'm pissed at the MLS for spending all that money and then damaging the goods FOR NO GOOD REASON!

3. DCDare1

DCDare1 New Member

Interesting query. Every interview I've read does depict Beckham as honest and straight forward. So I (maybe naively) do give him the benefit of the doubt and take him on his word that he is here for the long-term.

But, there are always alternatives to consider, this being one.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Don't pay attention to PCB, DCDare; he just hates any guy that rich, that good looking, and that talented.

Come to think of it ... so do I! :big grin:

5. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

He's an old has-been! Never been that great a footballer! Let's go Jozy!

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Pavon should've put in at least one of the balls Becks put onto his noggin tonight. Not that I care about the Galaxy, however, I want to see Becks be successful in this league to shove it up the Euro arse who talk continuous shit about American footie...and he shouldn't correct himself when he calls it football.

However, would his unsuccessfulness (is this a word?) validate MLS quality? I think probably not, as English wankers are quick to dismiss his skills as it is.

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Re: RE: The Beckham Watch

Au contraire, I like Beckham quite a bit. In the famous words of a Nike commercial, "I am David Beckham". (Even have my head shaved and goatee workin', but this has not translated to scoring on or off the field. Yes, that was TMI.)

The one thing Beckham has done, for me, is get me to watch MLS matches that involve the Galaxy. That is it, end of. No jersey. I don't watch any other matches. I don't give dog crap about who is in THE PLAYOFF HUNT.

So, has it been a successful gamble by the Galaxy and MLS. More so for the Galaxy, less so for the MLS, and we are far from knowing the final analysis.

But my question was a simple one, and despite Don's best efforts to interject some levity to the question and attack the questioner's validity, one that only can be answered in the future.

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Re: RE: The Beckham Watch

I think Beckham is in this for the long haul as Don eluded to above. He has a vested interest in genuinely trying to get this sport to a higher level in America. While he will NOT get MLS to the level of the NBA, NFL or MLB, the interest has been raised since Beckham's arrival.

I have found myself cheering for the Galaxy a bit because I want to see a healthy Beckham in the playoffs to see what he can do to help his team out in October and November.

Lastly, while sportswriters and sportscasters might be getting on Beckham for not playing because of his injury, he has gone through much, much worse scathings from the English press and the Spanish press in his days. In essence, what I am saying is that compared to life after France 1998 as well as his timultuous time in Madrid, this media nagging and complaining is very minor.

Beckham is much stronger mentally than most give him credit for. He has a strong will and a strong desire to win and succeed at any level. I believe he will stick around in MLS and fulfill his contract and do all he to help promote this game here in the States.

9. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I caught his cameo in the DCU v. Galaxy and he looked .... like Beckham. Decent free-kick that could have resulted in a goal, and a lovely 40 yard pass to Donovan that was about 6 inches too strong. The boy got game.

Here's my prob: Just before I got home we went to a Sports Authority so HatterMom could get a compressed workout top [HatterDon like-y!!!!]. I checked out the soccer paraphenalia and saw ... three versions of LA Galaxy #23 jersies. The only other soccer stuff was FOUR versions of jersies from ... wait for it .. the men's national team of MEXICO. I pointed out to the confused high-school girl at the cash register that they might be interested in providing some jersies from the side THAT WON THE FRIGGIN' GOLD CUP, and that they lost a sale as a result.

She had no idea what I meant, because ... after all ... only Latinos are interested in soccer. Sigh.

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Respect!

12. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I'd love to see him finish out his five years in the MLS, but I just wish it didn't have to be with the Galaxy. L.A. just seems like a team full of underachievers in my opinion.

I think if he gets and stays healthy, then next season will be quite a turn-around season for L.A.

As it stands - thanks to Becks, Angel, Schelotto and many of the other internation players, this has been a great MLS season so far. Hopefully the playoffs don't disappoint and have some fluke team win it all. But that is best saved for another thread.

:p

13. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Judging from what I saw last night, and the extrapolations I made because of it, expect Galaxy to go for a better strike force than one which features Edson Buddle.

Paging Dante Washington!

{Oh... there's no Crew fans here know what I mean...}

14. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Is this where I say, "I told you so."??

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and now this

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/s ... =si_soccer

Beckham is worth more to MLS/Galaxy than he is to Milan. They're willing to offer 1/3 of what MLS/Galaxy is willing to accept. They won't go higher; MLS wont go lower. This is the situation for more than 2 weeks now.

Evidently, Milan and Beckham think that Beckham saying, "no really; I really, really want to stay" will cause MLS/Galaxy to say, "oh, well if that's the case, we'll be happy to suck up the lost revenue because you have such a nice smile." Or, they expect the will of the world to bend to AC Milan because Italy is so much their full-time bitch.

Did I mention elsewhere how PLEASED I am to see a mid-table German side hand Milan their asses today?

16. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Every time I see this thread I expect to see a link to some ad for a new Swiss time piece.

17. Jensers

Jensers New Member

If Beckham wants to go so badly then he should make up the difference out of his own pocket.

Will Becks be willing to damage his media darling rep to make a point by putting on a sulk if he returns?

If he doesnt want to return, and yet he is forced - will that give Arena the upper hand to take control of the Madonna, or will it be another story like Berba?

Personally - I do not believe he will return and all of this will just be chatter due to the fact that it will come down to it and LA will cave...

18. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I see no reason to believe that Beckham will be anything but highly professional once back with the team.

That will depend, of course, on back-channel communications between the Gals and DB. If they treat him like a professional, he'll act like one.. because he is. But the only way we'll know that happened is for it to happen.
    The Gals owe him an effort to improve his team.

IOW, if the Gals continue to field the hacks and mediocres, he'll react badly.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Beckham always gives his best, and he's in good form right now, so that best should be plenty good. WHEN he returns to the Galaxy, he can be depended upon to put in a full shift. Based on what I've seen the last 4 or 5 years, the Galaxy's front office can be depended upon to screw whatever pooch is in front of them.

20. Jensers

Jensers New Member

What are you willing to put up to support your feeling that he is going to return?

How about an 09/10 jersey?