The 147th Belmont Stakes

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by jumpkutz, May 18, 2015.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Gonna start this one early because, a) American Pharoah returned to Churchill Downs today and, b) I finally get to go!
    Yes, I've been assigned to travel to New Nawk, New Nawk to cover the Belmont. Although I'm not a serious handicapper, and thoroughbred racing does not appeal to me as strongly as Cardinal baseball and Fulham football, I do have more than a casual interest in it. And after living and working in Louisville for three decades, it's just neat to be able to do it. Pharoah should be here for the next two and a half weeks, so any news about his preparation will emanate from the Twin Spires. Will probably be at least a week before he leaves the barn, though, so stay tuned. Hope he does it.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Do you think he has any chance of handling the extra distance, Jump?

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Where is our man Jump 'Live from Belmont'?? James, fingers crossed you are there in person to witness history. When I think of the Belmont, I think of one horse. While too young to remember it live I've seen the following footage a bunch of times of the one and only Secreteriat. The track announcer gives one of the best and iconic play-by-play calls in sports history 'He is moving like a tremendous machine!..' 'Secretariat is all alone!!'

4. jumpkutz

I'm here, I've seen the horse the past two days, and unless Saturday is The Grand Chawhee's birthday, I think he's gonna win. The fun part of all of this is having unprecedented access to Baffert and his horse. He loves the Derby and Louisville so much he treats us almost like family. I shot our lead female co anchor feeding him peeled baby carrots in front of his stall door yesterday. Today we had about a 10 minute one on one interview with Baffert in the barn office right after Pharoah's gallop and bath (yes, we spend considerable time shooting horses getting hosed and sponged this time of year). Challengers are dropping like flies and his exercise rider came into the office saying he's hard to handle because he's got s lot of energy and wants to do more than breeze. He's gonna win.

MicahMan, encorespanish and dcheather like this.
  5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

dude, that is awesome. thanks for the info. Its a rough road to hoe for the Pharaoh to reach that triple crown. I will watch as always though.

6. jumpkutz

No reason to change now. Find a place to make a bet that'll generate a pari-mutuel ticket so you'll have a souvenir.

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

What a show he put on!

8. jumpkutz

pharoah romps.JPG It was unbelievable. I'll try to post some pics later but the din of the roar of that crowd was goose bump city. I'm gonna post a photo taken by my buddy Michael Clevenger at the Courier-Journal that, quite frankly, may become an iconic moment captured for eternity. I'm meeting him at the track (here, Churchill) to chat and do a story about it. I think you'll agree, it's worthy.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

wow!!!!!!

BarryWhite likes this.
  10. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

+1 to WOW!

11. jumpkutz

Wow seems grossly inadequate to describe being there. It was just a great day with great weather and a perfect, colliding set of circumstances. Gonna try to upload all my photos next.