Sunderland are Champions

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, May 6, 2007.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

With this morning's 0-5 thumping of Luton, the quintessential "quadruple A" side [too good for the CCC, not quite good enough for the EPL] have won the Coca-Cola Championship championship! [Huh?] Let's hope they do a bit better than they did last time the yo-yo went up -- but not against us.

Going up with them is Birmingham -- a side it seems we were all delighted to see go down last year [although I'm not quite sure why]. Aston Villa may have even more derbies next year as 3 of the 4 playoff teams come from the midlands region -- West Brom, Wolves, and Derby. Antti Niemi's old club, Southampton, are also in the mix.

A HatterDon shoutout to the Leeds board. Taking the Owls into receivership, and the subsequent docking of points saved Luton from finishing rock bottom.

A side note: In late August, when the two sides were levell on points, ChiTom and I developed a friendly wager based on the fortunes of his CCC side -- Crystal Palace -- and Luton Town. At the time, we were level on points, and despite the fact that the Hatters at one point were seven points above the Eagles, the final tables show that they finished 25 POINTS below. I'll be pm'ing the bard of FUSA shortly to work out time payments!

Finally: HOW 'BOUT THEM CLINT DEMPSEY!!!!!!!

2. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Amazing the difference between the most recent CCC champions (Reading) and the champions the year before (Sunderland) and their preformances in the Prem.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Off Topic:

That avatar, Spence... is that game something like LaCrosse but on Ice?

Just wondering... they televise it, somewhere, dont they?

{just too good to pass up... heh!}

4. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Re: RE: Sunderland are Champions

yeah sorta like that,

Hockey maybe in woeful times, but I'm quite sure the BlueJackets outdraw the Crew. Not that I take pride in that, just sayin.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Sunderland are Champions

I'll go to a BJ game ANYTIME someone gives me a free ticket! I dont really care if they win or not, it is the ATMOSPHERE!

But I wouldnt buy one if someone told me I had to stay within 3 blocks of Nationwide arena for 24 hours. There's other more interesting stuff ...

- - - -- - - - - - -
    Like Reading v Sunderland's chances. Anyone remmebr me saying I didnt think Reading would have any difficulty staying up?

When you have such a clear margin as they did, it wasnt luck and grit so much as good players and good managing.

We could look to Preston as a perenial performer in the CCC. They just ARE Div 1 and it seems that, whatever their makeup, they just cant get to that critical mass needed to get clear of the pack and probably never will.

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Re: RE: Sunderland are Champions

C'mon Wolves!?!?

They just seem to have the coolest name, and insignia, of the four to duke it out for the final spot. What's the breakdown on those playoffs? I believe Wolves and The Baggies are pretty big rivals.

Apparently, Sunderlands acquisition of Kean-o was a pretty good decision. The Tims are all clamoring for him to some day skipper The Hoops.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, Sunderland's ex-Luton player is younger than Derby's and that helped. We'll finally get a chance to see Carlos Edwards in the Prem [you may remember me pitching him]. I sometimes think the manager is overrated, but Sunderland started lethargically, and featured some really old [almost 'fog and HD old] strikers. It wasn't until Keane came in and [most likey] scared the bejesus out of the squad that they began to perform well. Picking up Edwards in January certainly didn't hurt.

And yes, Wolves, Villa, WBA, and Birmingham are all huge rivals historically. When I was new to English fitba -- way last century -- Wolves and Albion were the 1st division teams while Villa and Birmingham were up and down a lot.

Of the four in the playoffs, I like Derby County. Having said that, last year I figured the WORST of the four teams involved was Watford. Who knew?