Summer '08: Ins and Outs

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by fulhamlocal, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmh

jmh New Member

You had to go with a picture of F5 losing the ball? :shock:

2. sublicon

sublicon New Member

Guys, I found out the real reason why Fulham delayed this signing...

They wanted Andy Johnson to Fulham and Brett Favre to the Jets to be announced on the same day.

IT'S CHRISTMAS IN AUGUST!!!

3. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

As a non-NFL fan in Wisconsin, I agree 100%. Once the rest of the state is done crying about Favre, we don't have to hear about him ever again!

4. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

A great thing about this site -- no one blowing the air around on Farve on here. Hey, I like the guy too, and I can understand a career conflict, but please don't cover it like it was the danged Cuban Missle Crisis. I thought I was hearing that comic that does the John Madden impression and says Brett Farve over and over again for a laugh. Geez ESPN, (and CNN, and Fox News :x ) enough already!

Also, an uninitiated question -- why F5 for Johnson? I'm reasonably impressed by the signing, but greatly impressed by how Woy stood his ground over the last 10 days. I am very optimistic this season -- not like Champions league optimistic, but 10th place should be a target.

5. sublicon

sublicon New Member

On PC's the browser reloads when you press the F5 key, which is the key Fulham die-hards have been hitting while on FulhamFC.com or SkySports.com to find out if he'd been signed yet.

Gotta check out the FulhamFC.com boards sometime!

6. GreekFootballer

GreekFootballer New Member

With almost a full month left in the transfer window, I wonder what Fulham's remaining moves will be. I assume a lot of it will be selling off excess players: Niemi, possibly Volz, possibly Seol, Smertin, Steven Davis, and Collins John, along with loaning out either Healy or Johnson. I think if we raise enough money, we should make a bid for a starting quality CB if available. Otherwise, I'm pretty content with the team right now.

7. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

It might just be me, but I am finding it hard to part ways with Volz and Smertin. Both of them are the sort of player that wears there heart on their sleeve and give everything they have. Volz, while not the most talented, is a utility player and his services should be retained for his versatility in defense and midfield. As for Smertin, he is one of the more composed midfielders Fulham has. Good vision and doesn't give the ball away. The problem is that there is an overload of players in midfield and only so many positions available. I can see him leaving with the likes of Seol and Davis.

8. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I know there is a sentimental attachment to Volz and Smertin but if we are being honest they are not likely to see playing time this season. If Fulham can move them and create salary room in the budget then that is what should be done. Good clubs move players that are excess to their requirements.

9. richardhkirkando

I think we'll keep Davis. Rangers can't afford him, and I haven't heard of any real serious interest from anybody else. Good thing too, he'll do just fine as long as our gameplan doesn't go back to hoofing the ball over his head.

10. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

I must admit, I've become a huge fan of Roy's transfer strategy. He is a shrewd businessman and MAF seems to back him in every decision. He wouldn't sell Davis at an undervalued price, he brings in quality players from abroad (Hangeland, Andreasen, Stoor) and he isn't afraid to bargain with high price talent (AJ). He did after all get 1.5 million knocked off the overall price.

Well done Roy. Take us up the table.

11. richardhkirkando

TJ Moncur has gone back to Bradford City on loan. BCFC's manager was raving about his potential quite a bit last year, so let's hope he gets some games and returns to us a useful player.

12. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Johnson had jersey #8 at this presser, which doesn't bode all that well for Smertin.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

not necessarily. There's probably just a lot of renumbering going on. I remember McBride going from 8 to 20 a couple of years back. I am interested to see what the squad numbers will look like this year

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

A look at the official site's "news" page reveals that Bouazza has been loaned to Charlton for the season. I love Roy and trust him, but I can't understand why we keep loaning out our pacy left-footers. It's simple physics: a right footed player who plies his trade on the left wing has done half the defender's job for him.

What is Roy up to?

15. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

A left footed player who is not good enough has done the whole job for the defender. In Roy we trust?

16. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Hey all from beautiful Mexico. Been touring the country w/wife and friends for 3 plus weeks and it has been amazing. Hiked to the top of the Temple of the Sun pyramid outside Mexico City yesterday. Took a bus to Guadalajara and will be going to the Chivas v Monterrey match tonight. Just reading the news on AJ and Stoor and getting pumped up for the season. Does Bouazza going to the Addicks mean Cook has looked good so far? (soory totally out of the loop)

17. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Considering that he got time against Torino, I fear we're going to have to raise the Seol Ki-Heyon Alert to new levels:

LEVEL: "Oh, Lord, he could be STARTING for us."

Or it means Roy is looking at someone right now and wants to make some room?

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Hi SCJ. No, it means that we have no left-footed midfielders or attackers. Cook AKA The Invisible Man went out on loan also -- to QPR -- and was in the starting lineup for the Hoops.

19. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

HD, you're taking this left thing too literally, my man. Obessed with left-footed players. Left wing on the politics board. Standing on the left in your avatar. At least tell me you drink your Shiners righty. :D

20. sublicon

sublicon New Member

If he's linking up well this time around, you never know, dude. We could be praising him later.