Standing Memorial for Johnny Haynes

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Oct 22, 2005.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

It was announced today that Fulham would make a long standing memorial for Johnny Haynes and it would be up to the fans on what was appropriate.

Please make sure suggestions in this thread and they will be sent to the club.

I personally think that a statue of Johnny outside of the Stevenage rd stand would be fitting.

2. LBNo11

LBNo11 Member

Johnny Haynes memorial

...I have been banging on for years (as PapaB would say) for a stand to be named after the maestro, whilst Johnny was still alive. Sadly, as ever, nothing galvanises authorities into action than the death of a hero. Having had time to reflect, and by listening to what varying opinions there have been about which stand etc., I have come to the conclusion that a statue situated in front of the gates to the Cottage by the players entrance would inspire future generations of platers and fans alike.

By having a statue it will show a true image of the great man for those who will remeber his countenance, and to generations who never saw him alive.

The image in my opinion should be of him celebrating his penultimate goal for us against Plymouth Argyle, a very memorable pose.

LBNo11 :cry:

3. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

RE: Johnny Haynes memorial

A bronze statue with his one arm raised celebrating scoring a goal...wish I could have sen him play, my Grandad said it was impossible to express in words quite how good he was.

4. LBNo11

LBNo11 Member

Haynes the maestro...

...NJ Glen, as they say over there, he was all that they said, "with a cherry on top".

His modesty, and his charm, his willingness never to refuse to donate for free, his autograph, his love of the club that took him into it's bosom (he was originally an Arsenal fan, so maybe he was not 100% perfect, just 99.9%) his ability to pass (he actually 'stroked' a ball rather than pass) a ball with both feet (yes Beckham, both!!) from 40 or 60 yards onto a sixpence (size of a cent piece) his hip swivel that bamboozled the opposition are all memories that have been passed on to several generations by the generations that saw him. The recounting of his sublime skills were/are not exaggeration, I saw the same skills in his last four years for the club, lord knows what he was like when he was younger and the captain of his country, all I know is that had it not been for Johnny Haynes, my dad would probably not have taken me to my first game so that I could take in such a display.

We have lost a truly great man, an adopted son and a father figure combined, one day there will be no-one left who saw him play, but at Fulham...if nowhere else, his name will live on forever because of what we pass on to our sons and daughters, and trust me, no matter how tall the tales may appear...they will be true...