Spurs v. FFC [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Dec 22, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Let's get this started. I'm looking at this match as our first double of the season. There is a HUGE wildcard, however, in forecasting. With matches Friday and Sunday, our small playing squad is going to be stretched. Roy is going to have to rest some players who are getting up in years -- Murphy comes to mind -- as well as those who might not be as fit as he'd like -- Bobby Z. Unlike other sides, we have really only 12 players who have featured regularly over the last two months, and all of them played on Saturday. So, no matter the score and no matter the card or injury situation, look for three substitutions on Friday AND Sunday.

Against Tottenham, I like our chances. Our defense is solid and our midfield is strong. Based on what we saw on Saturday, Bobby Z is in the mood and Dempsey is SERIOUSLY in the mood. I'm thinking we'll start this way:

Aussie; Paintsil, Hughes, Brede, PK; Dempsey, Murphy, Bullard, Davies; AJ & Z-Bird. Look for Murphy and Zamora to take the 2nd half off in favor of Etuhu and Nevland. We might actually see Gray as well.

Score? 0-2 [Zamora, Murphy]

2. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

A much tougher match than what the uneducated may think if just looking at positions in the table.

I'll try to stay positive and keep the momentum though, 1-2.

3. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

I think we go to The Lane and get 3, I like a 0-1 or 1-2 win.

4. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I don't expect more than 1 goal in this match and would not be surprised by a 0-0 tie.

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

with xmas coming up, anyone know when injuries and such will be announced?

its hard to speculate without knowing who is in or out for both squads, but i'd imagine 'Arry will recoup Spurs after last week's loss at Newcastle.

6. TheOldBugger

TheOldBugger New Member

2-1 to the Fulham,even with the Arry factor the spuds are scapping for there lives,and we NEED an away win,but as previous posters have said we don't know how the team is going to stack up with 2 games so close together!
    I'll see all my Fulham Brothers and Sisters in the Chatroom for this game and I'll be at the Cottage for the game against the Blue Poo!
    COME ON YOU WHITES!

7. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Game will be shown live at 7:55 AM on Setanta Xtra.

8. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Setanta is really coming through this season for Fulham fans!

9. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

After 3 straight nil-nil away matches, can't see more than a 1-0 or
    1-1 result. Keep waiting for a Nevland sighting (and not just in the 87th minute). Will Woy go to the bench w/the quick turnaround v the Blue Poo on Sunday? Logic says he has to, but I won't be shocked anymore if the 11 go the 90.

10. Bradical

Bradical Member

I see a low scoring affair as well. This is the perfect match to get Nevland Andreasson, Etuhu, and Gray some playing time.

Unfortunately, I see 1-0 Spurs. I have a bad feeling that Roy will try and settle for 0-0, and Fulham being Fulhamish...

COYW

11. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Or is it the perfect match to throw everything at them, especially after coming off a confidence building 3-0 win? Do we save our best for Chelsea at the top or use them on Tottenham at the bottom? Chase 3 points away or try for three at home against one of the best in the league? Is one win, one loss, better than two ties? And if so, a win away (the first in what seems like forever) against a possibly out-of-form club better than a win at home against a top 4 team with inuries and red cards?

Dah! Managers dilemmas. Roy IS the bomb.

12. jmh

jmh New Member

Unequivocally, the answer to that question is yes. You get three points for a win and a loss, two points for two ties.

13. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

That is the obvious answer, and I don't disagree with you. However, in some minds (not mine or yours), the opinion may be that a loss has more of a negative effect than two ties.

14. BarryP

BarryP New Member

If we have an opportunity for 3 points against Spurs and the first team is playing well I would rather see Roy stick with them and try and pull out the win than sub if sticking with the first 11 gives us the best shot at a win. We can deal with Chelsea when the time comes.

15. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I think Fulham have a great shot here of getting something.

Spurs have looked a little toothless going forward as of late, but more importantly - as far as I know - Spurs are still facing injuries.

Jenas, Woodgate, Hutton, Bent, Dos Santos - Also - King wont play (Played Sunday - wont be able to play a second match in a week).

That should open the door to Fulham's hope on this one...

16. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I agree with all of the above re throwing FFC's best XI at Spurs...and then worry about Chelsea when the time comes.

17. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

Personally, if forced to make a choice, I'd take all three from Spurs.

18. jmh

jmh New Member

Given Fulham's record of scoring on the road (2 goals in 9 matches), I'm not sure why people are more optimistic about the possibility of a win at Spurs than one at home against Chelsea.

19. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Fair point and honestly I was hoping for only a point at Spurs - a win would be gravy.

Out of habit I don't expect FFC to pick up points against Chelsea - but, given both FFC and Chelsea's form this year, I should begin to think differently.

20. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Conversely, Spurs have scored just 7 goals at home -- worst in the league.

I'm thinking a 0-0 is on the table.