Speculation: Center Back, Right Winger, or Striker?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by FFCinPCB, Aug 28, 2006.

?

Which position deserves the most final transfer consideration?

Poll closed Aug 31, 2006.
  1. Center Back

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Right Winger

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Striker

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Indications are we will get at least one more transfer if all goes well with Steed. Assuming we can only manage one transfer;

Which position do you think is more deserving of extra attention?

And WHO would be your choice at that position?

2. DCDave

DCDave Member

I don't know who is available, but we need a finisher. We have gone three games with no goals from our strikers, despite JB giving them some nice chances during set plays.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

A true rightwinger. Before the season started I would have said CB. But Fulham are getting little play from the wings, Fulham either have to go through the middle (which can be easily defended) or play route 1 football, neither is working all that well. Put a true winger on the right and the offense and defense improves, since they might keep more of the ball.

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

While I admit scoring is not exactly on fire right now, I agree with Heather that Right Winger may be our biggest need (barring a really shocking event on left wing). Another threat at midfield will pull the defenses out or spread them wider, which will create more opprtunities and in theory should create more goals by our Strikers. So I have now shelved my Center Back drum beat for a solid Right Winger. Ultimately, at least one, probably two, center backs are still needed, but I think a Right Wing prospect like Govou or Davies would create some magic and balance in the midfield. Perhaps we can pick up a CB or two (from Belgium) in January. If we decide to use a final pick now for a CB, I will certainly not be dissapointed however.

5. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Guys just cause we had a shutout against Shefield United doesn’t mean our defensive problems have disappeared. I still maintain we have one of if not the worst central defenses in the league. A lack of a quality central defense will lose alot more games then a lack of a right wing. The guys we have now are capable of playing a decent game every now and then but they will lose alot of games for us. I vote for a new central defender immediately!

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am with Spencer. We need a new central defender. If we cannot stop teams from scoring, there is no way we will beat teams. We need an experienced center-half in the next few days.

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

If we play a 4-1-3-2, with Diop hanging back, I have more faith in the defense with his help. But if we go a straight 4-4-2, then I am more concerned about defense. I agree we need at least one CB who we don't have such questions about. Pearce is too slow to be an every match starter, so then we put Boca in. But then vertically, we are at a disadvantage. That is why Our Boy in Belgium just seems to fit the need so well. I'll be just as happy with him or his knock-off (well not as much with a knock-off), as I would be with a right wing. And you are probabaly correct, that CB is more needed. (Yikes! Did I just agree with Spencer?). But I would say more so in a 4-4-2.

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Flip - Flop!

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I would like a CB, too. But we've scored three goals in three games. One was from an own goal, one was from a penalty, and one was from a free kick. Not inspiring football, we need to get the ball moving across the entire field to create opportunities. Also, a good offense is a good defense. :3d smile:

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

To be honest with everyone, we need a right-winger, a striker, and a center-half. I know that sounds sarcastic and all, but we REALLY do need some help in all three areas.

Even if Steed is sold for 2-2.5 million pounds, is that really enough to get two quality players? I do not think so. I am just hoping this Steed saga ends and a new player or two is brought in to help this team.

Big Mo needs to step it up and inject some cash into this club very, very soon. If he wants his club to flirt with relegation, maybe it is time he sell the club to someone willing to spend some cash.

I appreciate all he has done for Fulham over the past ten seasons, but he has completely put the brakes on his spending and the club could be headed for a fall. If he wants the club to be profitable, he needs to make the team good. C'mon Mo, spend some of your cash on the team!!

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Tom, that's the thing. We don't have that much money or time to spend. But after reviewing the past three games and thinking if we only get one player, we need that player to be a speedy winger. Apart from the great slaughter in the opener, the defense performed well against a decent, mid-table team and should have had shutout (gave up "soft" a penalty?) and they held Sheff U. The defense has shown so far that they are capable of stopping mid to bottom table teams--that should hold us till January. But the offense has been dysmal and we getting nothing from the wing, I feel it's making the whole team suffer.

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

That is where we differ Heather. I would rather be solid in defense and pray for goals rather than score goals and pray for us to keep goals out of our own net.

I believe in building a team from the back to the front. If we can get a defender we can solidify the back four and keep the opponents to one or no goals each match.

Once again, this is just a difference of philosophy.

13. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

A very good question but I voted for a true, skilled right winger. While our defense has done its job overall in the last couple of games we also have to keep in mind we have cover at CB and Zakuani may surprise everyone.

The thing with a right winger, is thats not Browns natural position and Radz is just not doing the job since his confidence his low. Watching the matches we've had long balls coming from the back at angles which, even if we get a head of them, they most likely become goals. Its the wing play that we lack and I feel goals will come if our strikers get some good service.

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Tom, I don't think we differ in our philosophy. I do agree in building a team from back to front. But I'm currently thinking our defense is better than our offense...it's sad, but I can't help but listen to us take ball upfield constantly these past two games only to see nothing come of it or the other team breaks for a counter. It's too fustrating.

We can't keep relying on the ref and the other teams' defenders to create our scoring chances. It's setting us up for another season of being winless on the road.

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Perhaps you are right Heather, but I still think our defense is lacking. I have very little faith that Christanval will stay healthy, Pearce will be consistent, Knight will do anything positive and that Zakuani will have the experience and skills needed in the back.

A right-winger would be nice to help the offense, but to me, if this team gets relegated it will not be because they can't score goals. It will be because the defense blows.

16. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yeah, I've had the same thoughts as you. But I keep trying to convince myself that (a) Christanval can stay healthy (b) Boca can get the job done (c) ummm...Knight can get the job done (d) Zakuani is a beast that's just learning the system and biding his time.

Well, I try my best to convince myself.

17. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Heather, I am trying to convince myself this team can finish in the top 15. Needless to say, I am nervous about this season. I was optimistic when the season started, but not so much now. We need a lot of improvement in the players we have and also some help from some new players and perhaps a chairman willing to bolster the squad than to let it sit as is.

18. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Carlos Edwards...right wing. PUT HIM IN!!! We have to buy him first of course, but we need that pace.

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Agreed. I know Fulham are not playing like a tenth placed team. I just keep hoping something happens before the window closes, but I have a bad feeling Fulham are not going to get anyone.

:cry:

Please, let me wake up tomorrow to find they've signed the two G's. :3d footy:

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm with ChiTom on this one. I also agree that we need all three, but teams with good defenses don't get relegated because they can't score. It's the teams that leak goals that go down.

Also, I'm not too concerned that all three goals so far have been created by midfielders. Remember last year that Liverpool went almost two months without a goal by a striker and they did pretty well.

Here's my choices for each in the order I think we need to get them:

1. CB - Gooch -- Even watching Ooijer cost Blackburn the match yesterday, I think that a central defender from a small continental league can do the do in the prem. Ooijer didn't come close to Gooch's speed or stride.
    2. RW - Carlos Edwards -- There's others out there that are better, but none that are affordable.
    3. F - Probably Robert Earnshaw -- I think he's always available for xfer to the Prem, and he's just the small, nippy guy we need to partner Brian. I have no idea why West Brom got him and then didn't play him, but he's scored everywhere he's gone.