Speaking of Wayne Bridge.....

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Jacob, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Jacob

Jacob New Member

'We can't afford permanent Bridge deal' - Coleman

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 05&cc=5739

I didn't think he was going to be a permanent fixture for the club when they signed the loan deal, but I am wondering who Coleman can afford to bring in during the summer to shore up the defence a little more. Any thoughts? Rumors?

2. DCDave

DCDave Member

1) Chelsea has made it clear that they plan on taking Bridge back.

2) I'm sure that if you put Cookie in a room alone and fed him truth serum, he'd say that he would love to keep Bridge and will try to this summer. (Coleman probably doesn't even know what his player budget will be for next season. If we finish strong--and with that end-of-season schedule, we should--MAF may be willing to open up his wallet even further than he did this winter.)

3) Given (1) and (2), it behooves Coleman to:

a) Be patient (he can't make a deal right now, after all)

b) Keep Bridge happy so that he'd want to come to Fulham permanently

c) Play down any interest, so that you don't piss out Mourinho, and

d) See what they can work out this summer.

His comments in that article fit the strategy perfectly. There is no upside to him proclaiming now that he wants to keep Bridge next season.

Reportedly, Man City is willing to put up 6 million pounds for Bridge this summer (1 million less than Chelsea paid for him). That is definately a low-ball price. Pearce seems to like to put those bids out for the world to see, though--he kept doing that with Steed, hoping I guess that Coleman was reading the papers and give him a shout. If he goes for 6 million pounds, though, it will be to Fulham, but if he is sold, it will probably be for more than that.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Brilliant take, Dave!

Exactly what I might have written if I could have bothered...

8)

4. Jacob

Jacob New Member

Coleman claimed that Bridge would be way out of his budget anyways. I guess there is no point in musing about how much cash he will have this summer until Fulham trudges out the remaining fixtures.

5. DCDave

DCDave Member

Thanks, Pettyfog.

I don't know if that's what Coleman's thinking, but in the past, he's played his cards close to the vest regarding incoming transfers (as he should), so it would fit the pattern.

I just have a hard time thinking if Bridge plays well and we finish close to or in the top 10, Cookie won't at least try to get an idea of Bridge's price and go to MAF with it. After all, at that point, we're sniffing at the heels of Europe next year.

Another point--one concern about these big money transfers is how the player will fit into the team (see Marlet, Steve). We're lucky--that is not a variable here.

6. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I think his addition to the club has been sensational. He's obviously worth every penny.