"Something's happening here

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

What it is aint exactly clear"

But what I do know is that our yanks abroad arent getting as much playing time as they use to.

See Ives' summary of this past weekend

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_i ... ewind.html

Obviously some of the reduced playing time is due to the transatlantic trips that our players made, but you still have this.

Adu was one of our most promising young creative players - Americans saw it and the international audience saw it in the U20 WC - now he is rotting over in Europe with no playing time.

Gooch was really begining to impress as a seasoned, intimidating defender who had shaken off his clumsy rep, now he is on the bench with AC - no time yet.

Beasley turned from a US MNT star to a US MNT flunkie while getting no time with Rangers.

Josy Altidore was getting no playing time in Spain. Jury is still out with Hull.

Micheal Bradley, holder of the most goals in a season record for an American in Europe, has now been sitting on the bench (even B4 the international break)

I have to wonder if it is a good idea afterall for Landon to go to Europe - maybe he'd just end up on the bench too.

I dont know the word "conspiracy" comes to mind.

2. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Or perhaps the agents representing these players aren't very good. I've never looked at it, but do most of our guys have US agents? If so, it's possible they're not particularly connected with European clubs or lack an understanding of the game necessary to tell what clubs would be good "fits" for the player.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Gooch can't get any pitch time for a team with an incredibly poor defense. CAN'T UNDERSTAND.

Bradley has been having some maturity issues in Germany. He needs to get his shit together. This is his problem.

DMB has been injured so much, Rangers have found other options.

Adu has more raw talent than anyone, but hasn't shown any indication that he's coachable. His problem.

I just saw an article on SI that says that the problem is that enough Americans aren't on teams participating in the ECL.

Our friend at Yanks-Abroad now says that Gooch will walk into the WC squad whether he's playing or not, simply because he's at AC Milan.

My take on all this? None of these three guys know what they're talking about.

4. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Es posible, Mo, es posible.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Since when has M. Bradley had maturity issues? The lad that played in the Netherlands and studied Dutch so that he could conduct his interviews in the native language? "How convenient" that he now has maturity issues. Maybe it is just that he has realized that he spent his life playing a sport in which he will be screwed at the international level (and the club level if it suits the right "not fit to wear a suit") suits.

Where is your evidence that Adu isnt coachable? He certainly wants to be coachable judging from his words. I would understand it more if a lack of coachableness was coming from US coaches but it is not. US players are in general very coachable, and that is supposedly one of the problems with the US soccer program - we coach all of the creativity out of player. Roy himself has commented about the fact that US players are veru coachable.

Hatter even you, who revels in the US mediocracy, cant understand the Gooch situation. Come on drink the coolaid, something is amiss in Denmark.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

who's playing in Denmark? Do you mean Parkhurst?

Bradley has had temper problems all along. He did a lot of sulking in Holland and has done his share this season. His coach sat him for it.

Freddy hasn't produced up to his talent even once, in four different countries. He's what the Brits used to call a "tanner ball player." That means that when nothing's on the line, he can look like a wonder, but once put under pressure, he wilts.

And when did I revel in US mediocrity? I am happy when they win. Is that bad?

7. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Yes you are happy when they win - we all are. I think it's the Eeyore comments regardless of the result! I have your new avatar:

Hehehehehe...
    [​IMG]

8. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I've felt since I began following this stuff that England and to some extent Germany were the places that Americans got a fair shake. Jozy couldn't get a f'in game in Spaindiv2 yet he then comes to the best league in the world and starts scoring goals! How did a guy like Gooch spend years in France and not get his shot?! You get the point.

9. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

To be fair, his first go in the Prem with Newcastle wasn't much to write home about. Equal parts not being given enough time to prove himself and some questionable efforts on his part. Just glad that is in the past.

"Years in France??"

10. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Our HatterDon, a grumpy donkey. Spot on.

The old grey donkey, HatterDon, stood by himself in a thistly corner of the Forest, his front feet well apart, his head on one side, and thought about things. Sometimes he thought sadly to himself, "Why?" and sometimes he thought, "Wherefore?" and sometimes he thought, "Inasmuch as which?" and sometimes he didn't quite know what he was thinking about.

-----------------------------------

"It's snowing still," said HatterDon gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said HatterDon. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

11. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Apparently somebody doesn't understand European football. Charlie Weis is on a extremely hot seat at Notre Dame right now. Now times that hotness 10 fold in Europe from the first day you sign a contract to manage a team. It's for this reason that players don't just walk into a team unless they're proven quality at the highest level. Just because Gooch plays well against EL Salvador doesn't mean he should walk into Milan's team. He's going to have to play well when given the opportunity and he will start. It's that simple. There's no conspiracy, you just have to perform and many players on your list haven't done that yet.

12. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Oh and Spencer, Vanney was a starter for years at Bastia while Davies and Boca are getting chances at Sochaux and Rennes respectively. Players get chances in France if they perform.

And Gooch was at Lens for a couple of years. AT least I think it was Lens. Really nobody paid much attention to him so he must've done fuck all while there.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Funny, said Tyler Perry, very funny.

And here I thought I was Horton the Elephant.

14. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

The point is that he got a chance in Newcastle. And yes years in France, prior to Belgium.

For Boca to go from being a starter in the prem to not playing in France would be excessively cruel and they paid good money for Davies, no? I take your point on Vanney. Of course no rule is perfect but I really think England is the way to go.

15. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

You're a bit of a contradiction. On the talent debate I can see Eeyore. On the results/performance side I think of you more as Baghdad Bob. Since we're piling on the Hatter today... :lol:

Getting back to the point, I'm still suspect on Gooch at AC Milan on one hand but I hope he just needs time to acclimate and earn his spot. Did anyone seriously think he was going to walk into a super club (in money only, but still) and start, coming from Standard? Even with a suspect back 4, which is the reason that makes me hopeful he can play his way in.

Wynalda alluded to Bradley having behavior/temper/maturity issues from time to time a week ago on FFF, fwiw. He's very young and is under an immense amount of pressure trying to overcome the coach's son tag, etc. He's passionate, aggressive, and tough, so you'd have to expect he'll have his meltdowns as a result. He'll find the balance in time.

I always thought Jozy was better suited to England than Spain, so no surprise there. Freddy is the enigma. Lots of rumors, not a lot of playing time to watch to make an assessment.

16. Jensers

Jensers New Member

The crazy thing is that if Freddy were playing back in the states - you know he is on the bench for sure, and possibly getting a starting role.

on FFF, Greg K. talked about Mexico and wondered why none of the US players go down there to play. I thought that was an interesting point. It is not a huge step above MLS, but it is a slight bump - and exposes our guys to a different style of play.

I wonder why more players dont go to a Championship side. I thought Eddie going to Cardiff was a great idea - and I wish he stayed. Now he is back and doing very little again.

Just look at what time at Ipswich has done for Gio Dos Santos. He is singlehandedly tearing Concacaf apart!

17. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Indeed he is. One dive at a time!

18. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Is Gooch hurt? Because he's not even on the subs bench today, nor was he over the weekend......

19. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Interesting points, but personally, it's too early in the season to be overly-concerned about lack of PT.

Now if January rolls around and these folks aren't playing, or didn't transfer/loan to clubs where they could be playing, then I'll be worried.

January to June is plenty of time to get into playing shape for the WC.

20. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I saw that too and don't know if he is or not...haven't heard or read anything to indicate he's injured.