Solution For Penalty Kicks?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by TonyTX42, Jul 10, 2006.

1. TonyTX42

TonyTX42 New Member

I posted this idea in another forum, but thought it might need a separate post:

It seems as though most people have the same feeling when it comes to deciding a game with PKs that I do--I don't like it, but it's tough to find a better way to end the match.
    My buddies and I were discussing this during the championship match today, and I came up with this idea: why not decide a match with corner kicks? Set it up much like college football does; each team gets a turn until the score's uneven. The corner ends, say, when the ball's cleared out of the 18-yard box (or goes out of bounds, obviously). This would make things more exciting, more competitive and it would be significantly more fair to keepers. Allow each team one substitute after the overtimes so that we can have some fresh legs in there, too.

Any thoughts? Is this utterly stupid or does it seem to make some semblance of sense to you? Do you have a better idea on how to end the matches, or perhaps a way to make this idea better?

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Or do like hockey. Let player have ball at midfield and keeper can come out to challenge at any time.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't understand why the "Golden Goal" went away. This at least stops teams from playing it safe and hoping penalties will settle it.

Years ago when a cup final between Leeds and Ch&%sa took 120 minutes plus a replay, there was a lot of press in the UK about how to end matches. I remember that penalties was the LEAST popular method suggested, or at least only slightly more popular than giving the victory to the team that won more corners. The one I liked the most was for each team to remove a player after each 15 minute overtime period -- 10-a-side after 105; 9-a-side after 120, etc., until a goal was scored.

Replays went away because TV requires a winner; and penalties are dramatic for those viewers who don't really know the game very well.

At least it's better than college football overtime in the US. 1100 yards total offense; scores like 75-72, all because coaches are too chicken-sh&t to go for the two-pointer ... but that's another rant. :3d funny:

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am in the minority, but I like the penalty shootout. Watching yesterday's match, both teams were dragging ass in the overtime period and to make them play on and on would be crazy if you ask me.

We can come up with all the solutions in the world, but I really do not see anything changing in the near future. I think the way it is right now is the best way to go.

5. DCDave

DCDave Member

I sent in the idea of corner kicks to a Washington Post chat on Monday but did not get the response I wanted:

-------------------------------------

Instead of PK's: One Web site I follow (FulhamUSA.com) had someone suggest alternating corner kicks (sort of like how American college football does OT).

Steven Goff: Ack.

------------------------------------

I wish I'd explained myself more. We certainly have to have some way to end a tie one-and-out game. At least corner kicks are a regular part of the game and involve the whole team, as opposed to penalties. Plus, the success rate for penalties is too high, and too much of it is luck. (As opposed to hockey, where the goalie has a reasonable chance to make a difference.) Plus, corner kicks are exciting.

The only drawback (other than the artificality of it all, which is true of any scheme to break a tie) is that it puts even more emphasis on set plays than there is not. There are too many teams that only seem to be able to score on set plays.

(Notice how I snuck in the FulhamUSA.com website name! I'm sure we'll take whatever free pub we can get.)

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Solution For Penalty Kicks?

Nice work Dave! I am not a proponent of the corner kick idea, but I like the FulhamUSA plug!!

7. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

RE: Re: RE: Solution For Penalty Kicks?

I've never been in favour to end a match with PK's and I have my own opinion on what should happen and that is after extra time is still even remove one player from each side every five minutes and incororate the Golden Goal rule. first to score wins, I guarentee it wouldn't go much more than fifteen minutes. with 8 a side.
    It's never been done before so I think it would be interesting just to see what would happen. just a thought. :3d footy: