Slovenia vs USA

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Game is tomorrow at noon ET on ESPN2.

US is on one of it's worst scoring droughts since the late 1990's. :? This will be interesting. Will Klinsmann use Bradley - he is after all the only player on the squad to have scored against Slovenia? Will Klinsmann try starting with a 4-4-2 or has the 4-5-1 just been too impressive to abandon? :roll:

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

My big question for tomorrow's match is: WILL MY FEKKIN DVR record the matches it says it will record?

And, PLEASE, not 90 minutes for Clint.

3. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

From the little that I have picked up from Klinsi so far, I am guessing we will see 90 minutes of Clint.

If he sticks with the 4-1-3-2 (really a 4-1-3-1-1 with Dempsey playing behind Jozy), I would start Bradley over Beckerman, move Williams into Edu's spot and start Johnson in Williams' spot on the wing.

4. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Unfortunately, it will be 90 min for Dempsey. Fortunately, for us he has been the ox for the USMNT and Fulham and will be fit for Sunderland come Saturday.

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks Mo, for putting up the time, I assumed it was in the afternoon. Big question...will we score?? I know it's a lot to ask, but a goal now and then would be nice :roll:

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I think we stand a better chance this game looking at the line-up:

Sorry not to see Gooch, I hope he is healthy again soon.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The U.S. MNT lineup vs. Slovenia: 1-Tim Howard; 2-Steve Cherundolo, 4-Clarence Goodson, 5-Carlos Bocanegra (capt.), 3-Timmy Chandler; 6-Kyle Beckerman, 7-Michael Bradley, 8-Fabian Johnson, 10-Clint Dempsey; 9-Jozy Altidore, 11-Edson Buddle ... Kickoff at 12 p.m. ET on ESPN2, ESPN3 and Galavision

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

And it looks a bit foggy. Hmmmm.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Great quote from Taylor Twellman -- and isn't it nice to see the Terp involved in football! -- "when you say your forward's best performance was when he never got a shot on goal, something is wrong."

Twellman and McManaman are the only non-Koolaid drinkers on the ESPN payroll. They're pointing out the obvious -- we're toothless in attack and "ponderous" in defense.

Another good Twellman quote: "Who says results don't matter? Tell the players down on the field that results don't matter."

10. Clevelandmo

Notice the side board advertising "I feel Slovenia", apropos I'd say.

11. Clevelandmo

Yeah, Twellman is my favorite commentator now. He's been fairly blunt about the Klinsmann reign. And I like the way he conveys high expectations for the US and their performances, it's obvious that's the way he thought as a player.

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yeay! 3-1 at the half for the good guys. I just hope the defense tightens up and we don't ditch the attack.

i'm liking the addition of one Fabian Johnson!

13. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Hanging on now. And that fog hasn't gotten any better.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Good result. I'd split the Man of the Match award between Bradley and Buddle.

I hope LaLaLa is wrong and that klinsmann HAS learned something from this formation.

15. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I'll respectfully disagree with you on the MOTM, sir Don I think it's our man Clint. Without his pressure on the pass out by the keeper to the back, no mistake, no turnover and no shot for Edson. His beautiful header put us ahead to stay. I'll admit to a huge bias, and I didn't see the whole match, but I believe we're witnessing the best American footballer EVER in his prime. Today was just another day at the office for the boss. And, my, my, my, look what happened with TWO strikers deployed up front. As Harry Caray used to say, how smart do you have to be? Wasn't happy with the defense today, but at least we SCORED SOME GOALS!!! Now, onward to kick a little BLACK CATS ***! COYW!

16. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Highlights:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkRgCGdfRzI&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

17. Clevelandmo

Boca with 100 caps!! Thanks for every one of them Captain.

Good to see some goals. Buddle's strike was class, and overall he played really well. Fabian Johnson looks really good too and should perhaps be chosen over Shea. I hope from here on out we will see Jones and Bradley before we ever see Beckerman again.

While we won, we were lucky Slovenia didnt score two more goals. The goals finally came because we had two forwards, were pressuring high, and playing a high defensive line. However, I think we still look too discombobulated, especially compared to Slovenia. As usual we can either defend well but not score goals or score goals but give up just as many. Teams with our talent need strong organization and sound tactics, and I dont see that with Klinsmann. I'm not surprised that the second half was mostly Slovenia because their coach is . . . . um . . . you know. Or maybe it was just the fog.

I'm still really worried about WC Qualifying

18. SoCalJoe

It's going to be a bumpy road to the WC, but remember our backs were against the wall w/2 games left and Connor Casey of all people bailed us out in Honduras the last time around.

Fabian Johnson or Brek Shea?...now that's a nice problem to have.

Chandler not being a LB, Beckerman anywhere near the pitch, and Goodson in the starting lineup...problems not so nice to have.

Buddle's scoring stats since his move to the Galaxy in 2007 (and now in Germany) 51 goals in 115 matches. Yes, his body language sometimes comes across as indifference, but the man finds the back of the net.

For my money the best coaches are the one that adapt to the personnel not vice versa, but keeping w/your principles. It's not brain surgery that Jozy needs to be on the pitch, and that he needs a strike partner. Let's see if Der Kaiser has figured it out.

19. Clevelandmo

Well here's the question Joe, did you feel that way about Goodsen when Bob was the coach? I didnt. While he was no replacement for Gooch I thought he was a solid CB. And we havent seen the last of Beckerman; Klinsmann got him a training stint at the Bundesliga club where he started. Same thing for Robbie Rogers.

20. SoCalJoe

Well here's the question Joe, did you feel that way about Goodsen when Bob was the coach? I didnt. While he was no replacement for Gooch I thought he was a solid CB. And we havent seen the last of Beckerman; Klinsmann got him a training stint at the Bundesliga club where he started. Same thing for Robbie Rogers.[/quote]

Mo, I've never rated Goodsen (even under BB) other than being a back-up. He captains his team in Denmark, which tells me that he works hard and is much respected. Not to disparage the Danish League, but other than the paycheck it's not any better than the MLS. Given the current CB situation he has to be in the mix, but no more than as a squad player.

It's wishful thinking on my part that Beckerman won't be included. A slight and slow defensive mid isn't what the current back 4 needs as cover.