Sky might lose PL rights/AlJazeera to bid US rights?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by dcheather, Mar 21, 2012.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... amore.html?

I don't think it would affect our domestic coverage if this happens, as I believe international bids are separate. But I suspect it may change who calls the game at the match.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Re: Sky might lose Premier League rights

Without knowledge of the competition it's hard to imagine someone outbidding Sky. However, the NFL (similar in terms of fan popularity, tv ratings, etc.) had a major shake up 15-20 years that should keep Sky on their toes. Back then CBS, NBC, and ABC (for Monday Nights) seemingly had cornered the market. Fox came in and destroyed CBS' offer and changed the landscape of American television. Football on either side of the pond can be used as a launch for all other programming for the network. The management at clubs have to be hoping for some competition to drive up the contract. As for the announcers, if there was a switch, the big names (like Madden and Summerall back then) would probably follow.

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

E...S...P...N

They could pose a threat.

4. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Fox bid up for the World Cup, but I think this is even too rich for their and ESPN's blood

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

This was mentioned in the article:

Industry experts have speculated that Al Jazeera's financial clout, which has already seen the Middle East-based broadcaster wrest the French league rights from Canal Plus, could provide a serious threat to Sky.

Not sure how many channels they broadcast in the UK and how widely available it is...that may be a big minus for their bid. :think:

6. nevzter

:doh: No way. Unless they negotiate rights to existing networks how does AJ have the access to the world already established? I don't really care if they are the network as long as I can see Fulham.

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Al Jazeera, I believe, is broadcasted in many countries. Sky may lose the bidding process for the UK and Ireland. As far as I know it will not affect the US broadcasting scheme...except the feed will probably be different with different announcers. I hope it will not a repeat of the FA Cup broadcast between Fulham and Everton, where we had American announcers calling the game from a studio in the US. That was definite downgrade.

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://www.epltalk.com/al-jazeera-sport ... urce-40175

Also, Serie A:

http://www.epltalk.com/al-jazeera-sport ... urce-40263

I really hope soccer on tv does not become only to dish network subscribers. :pray:

9. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

This should mean that Directv picks up Al Jazeera which is good because their news shows are pretty damn good. If they don't pick up the channel then that would suck, especially if they won the EPL rights.

Damn, it's only the sports network. Still hope they add their news channel.

10. nevzter

WTF!!!! DirecTV better step up if this is the case. And I just paid 4.40 a gallon for the cheapest grade gas - so, hopefully, greed won't be a factor in the licensing rights for English soccer in the US... :think:

COYW

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I think we're safe with the Premier League still being broadcasted on FSC, ESPN, and the odd game on FOX until summer of 2013. But I hope Al Jazeera will just buy out GolTV, so I can still catch the occasional Barca game when I feel like watching Messi destroy. Either that or soccer is going back to where only a few have access, satellite only is not going to grow the game in the States. Not everybody can get Directtv or Dish. :angry-banghead:

12. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

That Qatari royal family really likes their soccer dont they?

I must say I dont understand any of this. Why would AJ want broadcast rights in the USA? I thought there wasnt much money to be made here with soccer. That's why major networks never carry it.

Agree with Justin about the AJ news station. Would be nice to have some alternatives to the crap news networks we have.

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Not sure what the motive is...they're spending crazy money for the broadcast rights around the world. Not sure if they'll even make a profit with the money they're spending.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think they're like a lot of large corporations ... they need to diversify. Premier League football around the world is a HUGE market share [except here, of course], and AJ wants to expand their viewership.

A couple of thoughts:

1. The biggest reason Sky has to worry is that they're owned by the Murdoch family and that family isn't all that popular in England -- or in my house, but that's another story.

2. It won't matter who has the games; there'll be British announcers calling the games to the English-speaking world. The Everton-Fulham FA Cup tie was unusual because a different network does the FA Cup, and they're relatively limited in what they can show. Sky, on the other hand, gets to broadcast every match that the PL doesn't allocate to ESPN [Europe].

3. Don't worry about ESPN/FOX -- just bear in mind that, on most weekends, the ESPN match in England is broadcast on one of the Fox affiliates, and the match ESPN2 broadcasts here in the states is usually one b/c by Sky.

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Don, I could care less who wins the broadcast rights for the premier league for the UK and Europe. That doesn't concern me. What bothers me is al jazeera sports network right now is only available on dish network. And if they won the rights for la liga and serie a, I doubt I'll be watching any of those league matches next season...since I have cable (who still haven't made foxsoccer plus available). If AJ wins the US rights for the premier league after 2012/13 season ends, I just hope they get the games on some major cable networks. If not, I guess I am back to GJ for my Fulham fix. Dish Network isn't an option for me. Although they could make the games available online, like foxsoccer2go, that could be a good alternative if the price is reasonable.

16. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

More details coming out. Al Jezeera will be showing the games in the US; people may have to change providers. I'm not switching providers. If I cant watch foreign leagues, I'll spend my money and watch MLS.

http://www.multichannel.com/article...air_of_Soccer_Channels_in_U_S_this_August.php

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

"You may have to switch providers." *Grumble*

Don't have happy feelings about these developments, but I don't completely understand who will be carrying what with this article. If they had channels that were widely distributed like FSC and Goltv, I would be fine with it. But if these channels are going to be on satellite tv only, I have feeling these last few years of having almost every major European game at my fingertips will be coming to an end shortly.