Saudi's arrest male flirters/BBC word association

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Feb 23, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

At Little Green Footballs, the site recently named by CAIR {and the MSM who equate CAIR as just another social justice group} as a 'hatemonger' for simply pointing out these articles and letting people comment.

.. or 'fundamentalist'?
    Or flaming freakin' LOONY?

Beeb using connotive negative wordplay? Gee, we never noticed that before.. heh!

Also:
    Now if they call THIS conservative, then...

UAE: BEHEAD MANNEQUINS, SHARJAH AUTHORITIES ORDER

One small step for man...

2. andyns

andyns New Member

RE: Saudi

Cavemen were more evolved than Saudis.

3. pettyfog

Sorry, Andy... cant let you get away with THAT!

It's what happens when you let yourself get blackmailed and extorted by the previously loony few. WHERE the ONLY 'free speech' is from the pulpit in the mosque.
    And exactly what's happening in the rest of the titular muslim countries. Even where the US has little or no involvement or influence..like Burma and Indonesia.

But there's SOME who would only give you a blank stare when you point that out. If it's NOT our fault then whose fault is it?

4. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Sigh. 'fog - BBC is just using Conservative in its pure form (i.e., based upon the actual dictionary definition) - just like there are conservative sects of Judaism, there are conservative sects of Islam. Fundamentalism is something else entirely, though are more often than not offshoots of the conservative branches of religions.

Heck, there is even Conservative Christianity - nothing evil or "fundamentalist" about it, just a different standard for modesty and behavior.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I think conservative Islam goes too far, with both their rules and their punishments, but who am I to judge another man's religion?

5. andyns

andyns New Member

For the record, I stand by my comment.

What makes Saudi Arabia worse than most places is that the state mandates and enforces religious brainwashing. In other countries the state leaves it up to the individual (or more likely their parents) to become a religious nutter or not, which obviously keeps it lower key.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

'fog, have you ever met with, or spoke with, or read any CAIR literature? I met with representatives of this group on several occasions in the mid- to late-90s. While they never seemed to me to be the warmest bunch I've ever met, they certainly never espoused anything that would make a reasonable person call them terrorist.

Part of their function is to speak out on what they see as acts and speech in the United States designed to endanger the persons or limit the civil rights of Islamic Americans. They have this in common with similar groups concerned with Jews, Catholics, Latinos, African Americans, and the elderly -- all of which basically follow the tenets of "securing the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity" for more than just white, Protestant males.

So what is the problem you have with them? That they want the same rights for a minority that the majority have? Or is it that they're Islamic? Just wondering.

7. pettyfog

When was it their membership dropped off by 90%, Don?

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

you're still the best in not answering the question, 'fog. Might as well retire undefeated.

9. pettyfog

Well golly, don... let's just reset to your POV.

Yes, I've read their site, does that count?

I've also read their support of the 'Flying Imams' acting out in MPLS. And their support of the Imams suit of the John Doe Passengers who complained to the airline about the 'weird actions'.

As well as their support of the Muslim Cabbies who refused to carry drunks, anyone with alcohol in their baggage, or some of them even with dogs.

Also of the cashier who refused to handle wrapped pork products.

You might explain to me how that helps muslim americans fit into the mainstream.

Or whose civil rights are affected, there. They have a right to be employed at a job and then define the job?

Does CAIR have a view on the civil rights of a Westerner in the lands these people come from? If they all felt like Ibrahim Hooper says he views the case of the Brit teacher, it would be good. Though his article on it seemed a little tepid in her defense, focussing on how to deal with insults.

But CAIR also attacks those who protest the building of a 'symbolic prayer tower' at a mosque in St Louis. The protestors were first told that it was symbolic, no sound system, thus their concerns were unfounded. THEN they were told that the call to prayer wouldnt be heard, but it would be used for 'special announcements'.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I fail to see any problem with any of their positions. Of course, I don't understand why you should be upset by Muslims praying in an airport, and being upset that their public prayer was deemed "terroristic" by other people in the lounge -- and 99% of the looney right. I've been in lots of public places where public group prayer has occurred. Ever been in an airport terminal with a youth religious group? Of course, if the people praying are Christian and white, then it's not nearly so much of a concern than if their dark and non-Christian.

Muslim cabbies -- like all cabbies -- can refuse service to anyone. They're not exactly in the law enforcement or health care business. Tell me, where are your rants about fundamentalist pharmacists who refuse to fill perscriptions for birth control devices? Oh, that's different, they're fundamentalist CHRISTIANS -- almost all of whom vote Republican.

About the St. Louis church, do you suppose there'd be any outcry if this was a Christian church that wanted to build a bell tower? Would YOU complain?

I'm sure that CAIR members have opinions about how American Christians are treated in some non-Christian countries. Their members are Americans, after all. I'm sure that they have concerns over the stock market, the debate over climate change, and the poor run of form of the ONLY Premiership club owned by a Muslim. It's just not in their charter to comment upon such things.

What IS in their charter, however, is their concern over the treatment of Muslim Americans, and their worry about people trying to turn the "war against terror" into a "War Against Islam." CAIR was one of several American muslim organizations to condemn the 9/11 attacks, one of hundreds who did so around the globe. This doesn't stop the right wing pundits and web sites from constantly saying "where are those moderate muslims we hear about?" and "why haven't any muslim organizations around the world condemned 9/11?"

I wish we didn't have to have CAIR, or MALDEF, or the NAACP or the various other groups who have organized to protect religious and racial minorities in this country, but as long as we have an unending succession of anti-Islamic broadcasts, blogs, and commentary, I hope that SOMEONE will step up and be concerned about them.

11. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Re: RE: Saudi

You're human being so you can judge anyone and everyone. In particular you should judge a person's religion/culture where there is gross gender discrimination within that religion/culture.

An example would be that in America it is illegal to practice polygamy. This is because Americans decided to judge Mormons. Americans said, "Mormons your religous practice is backwards and you must stop having multiple wives... one wife, and one only". Now 90% of Mormons only have one wife.

So often times pointing fingers at people and judging them leads to positive change, i.e., gender equality, fewer wife beatings, no more slaves, all color water fountains, etc...

12. andyns

andyns New Member

Re: RE: Saudi

But Mormons are white and somewhat open to constructive criticism. Muslims are most definitely not open to criticism of any form, and they are not white, so when you say something bad, you're labeled racist and dismissed.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

that's right, Andy; we all know that the people most discriminated against on both sides of the US/Canadian border are white Christian adult males. People of color have all the opportunities, all the respect, all the government protection, all the government programs and none of the responsibility.

White Christian men are discriminated against by everyone -- which is why you'll never see a white Christian man in the billionaire's list, as heads of multi-national corporations, or in high government positions. And, someday, if we can overcome all this horrible discrimination, someday a white male Christian might some day grow up to be president. I only hope to see it happen during my lifetime.

14. pettyfog

Don You're disingenuous on that airport prayer!

The rugs were rolled out RIGHT AT THE GATE!!! Get5 associated with the details... also dont you find it a little suspicious that all this happened at one and the same incident.

Quit being a rights apologist and recognize when an act is being put on to make an impression.

Finally, putting the lie to your position is the public whitebread reaction to muslims immediately after 9/11. in the BIG picture..{Hillary's 'I just met a woman' memes dont count} .. there was almost NO reaction compared to what might have been expected.

I am sick and F#@$@#G tired of the Victim mentality that some people want to push, And which was the exact motivation of the flying imams I dont feel guilty about what a few idiots do because I take the overall effect into my considerations.

And the people who are mosty loudly trying to turn the war against terror into a 'war against Islam' seem to be largely Muslim! And -apparently- you.

In fact, if you care.. which I doubt you do, LGF, that 'very hate site' referred to in the first post, just had a three month running battle with "Gates of Vienna for their support of Neo-Nazi Euro politicians who want all Muslims kicked out of Europe.
    Sorry Your villains cant all be tarred with one brush!

15. pettyfog

Now... let's talk about that Christian Church bell tower.

Do you realize that almost all new such installations are subject to municipal noise ordinances? If you hear one, 99-1 it is grandfathered.

It will be interesting to see what happens down the road when that mosque tower actually starts broadcasting muezzin.

16. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Lyle. While I personally feel that Islam, in many ways, goes too far in limiting the role of women, I don't necessarily agree that defining different roles for the genders is a bad thing.

As far as the Mormon thing goes, 0% of members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints practice polygamy - they stopped the practice in 1890, so unless some couple were married 108 years ago and are still going.... Yes, there are off-shoot sects that practice Polygamy, but they contain excommunicated Mormons and those who never were members of the 13 million member church.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Oh, I didn't know. The Religious Freedom Restoration Act has been repealed? Several areas around here have discovered to their loss that the RFRA has pretty much allowed Christian churches to do whatever they want regardless of zoning.

18. pettyfog

Oh? you got links?

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

unfortunately, I don't. One reason is that all the good links require money to get to, and, as it turns our the RFRA was indeed declared unconstitutional in 1997. Here's a link to the decision to overturn:

http://www.princeton.edu/~lawjourn/Fall97/II1gupta.html

and here's one of the local cases I was talking about, from that link:

"The confusion and conflicts that arise between the Smith case and the two major cases decided before it play a large role in the Boerne v. Flores decision. In Boerne, the local zoning authority denied a church a building permit to expand, since the church was regulated under historical preservation zoning laws.

The Archbishop of the church argued, using the RFRA, that the restrictions burdened his freedom of religion. Because the RFRA allows for a significantly different interpretation of First Amendment's religious freedom clause (the government has to provide proof that there is compelling interest), compared to the Smith decision and other Supreme Court precedents, the Justices were forced to call into question the authority of Congress to enact the RFRA.
    "

Boerne is a small town not far from here, and "Flores" is the late Archbishop Patrick Flores. The expansion in question would have required the destruction of a building on the historic preservation list. At almost the same time, a local mega-church [with an international TV audience] used the RFRA as a club to beat the small incorporated town it resides in to turn even more of the city into parking lots for Sunday services. The city claimed that local flooding problems would get even worse as a result. I can't find anything on that one -- even in the archives of our local newspaper. Hmmm.

Anyhow, with the RFRA overturned, my argument is moot.

Note to young people on the site: Yes, I know that 1997-2007 is a significant time in your lives, but for people like 'fog and me, ten years is ... .

20. pettyfog

Summary: RFRA Struck down; As it should have been.

Point remains, though... that tower WILL be used for Call to Prayer. And anyone objecting WILL be subject to overboard criticism.