Runstrom's Luton Notes

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by FFCinPCB, Feb 21, 2007.

1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

From Little Miss Helpful, Lauren, on the offal:

21/02/2007 12:17:56
    Lauren location: Fulham | Posts: 164
    I went to the game at Kenilworth Road last night to watch Björn and I must say that despite the state of the stadium, it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. The game was very exciting, as a 3-2 scoreline would suggest, and I was delighted to see Björn get on the scoresheet. It was good to see Norm as well...like a 2-for-1 deal!
    I decided to track Björn all throughout the game instead of just following the ball, and I have to say my unbiased view is that his off-the-ball movement is superb. He was constantly making intelligent runs, making space for himself and creating openings. Unfortunately for him it seems that some of his team-mates aren't on quite the same wavelength or don't share the same vision, so they weren't putting him through very often and this was frustrating for him. I couldn't help thinking that if he was playing with someone like Claus, who is so skilled at threading clever balls through, they would work incredibly well together.

His goal was a good finish (despite Mike Newell joking that it went in off his shin and was more accidental than anything else!) and he deserved it for all his hard work. I counted the number of times he gave away the ball in the entire match: 1....and he chased it down and won it back immediately after. Luton fans were oohing and ahhing at his flicks, tricks and backheels as well and the general consensus was that they have all been very impressed by him. I was sitting in the players' enclosure and several family members of other Luton players were singing Björn's praises.

I think this loan spell has done him a lot of good, although the style that Luton play isn't exactly what Björn is most comfortable with. He has two more games - away at Crystal Palace on Saturday and at home to Norwich on Tuesday - before returning to Fulham so let's hope he can bang a couple more goals in before coming back to the Cottage!

I cannot leave it at that though. There is some dispute, at least on the FFC message board (imagine that), about his effectiveness.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Runstrom

Nice report from Lauren. I also read on TFI from another person at that match last night that he thinks Runstrom is at least a year or two away from being Premiership ready. I would like to think Lauren's analysis is more accurate. I guess time will tell.

3. Lauren

Lauren New Member

Thanks guys. I'm going to his next game (probably his last one for Luton) this coming Tuesday (v Norwich) so I'll let you know how he gets on again.

4. Lauren

Lauren New Member

Björn scored again! =) But after he was subbed 10 minutes from time Luton conceded and lost 3-2 to Norwich.

His loan has been extended by a further month, so I shall be attending two more games at Luton - v Hull and v Ipswich (Leggy! Leggy! Leggy!) so I will keep you up-to-date with his progress. He's doing incredibly well at Luton, particularly considering the almost non-existent service he gets... Oh and Tom may be particularly interested in the fact I was at the game with Sandro Runström on Tuesday. What a nice guy!

5. Deucefan

Deucefan New Member

Thanks Lauren, but do you honestly believe Björn has what it takes to get into a Premiership team yet? I'm not saying he doesn't, in fact from what I saw in a pre-season friendly he looks extremely impressive, however is he as good as McBride or Montella. I think he's better than Heidar and John already, so this spell at Luton should get him ready for the physical side of English footy, and make him a world beater.
    P.S. Happy Birthday Björn!! And good luck, every FFC fan is behind you.

6. Lauren

Lauren New Member

Yes I do believe it. He has the drive, the dedication, the talent...and I agree with you about him being ahead of CJ and Heidar already. You can't really compare him to a Montella or McBride because he's a different type of striker, but I think he will succeed in the Prem for Fulham

7. Deucefan

Deucefan New Member

Good answer-hope its true!!
    I'll see for myself in a few weeks as I'm going up to Luton to see him versus Leggy against Ipswich too- hopefully I'll be able to reiterate the comments you say about Björn, and get more people talking about him.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Luaren, Deucefan!

Thanks for trekking up the M1 and attending abysmal Kenilworth "Stadium." I appreciate the Bjorn updates as well as the fact that you're actually putting money into the Hatters' coffers. They'll probably need every sheckel next year in the 3rd Division [sorry, "league one"].

9. Lauren

Lauren New Member

HatterDon - I'm not putting any money into Luton; Björn gets me his comp ticket in the players' enclosure!!! ;)

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Sigh :D

So where do you sit? On the Maple Road side [back to ever-encroaching railway lines], or in the Bobber's Stand [sun in your eyes during the first half of day matches]?

Back in the 60's I preferred the Maple Road Terraces [no seats], but by the mid-70s had season tickets in the Bobber's Stand.

Just curious.

11. Deucefan

Deucefan New Member

I have to pay...

I'm sulking :(

12. Lauren

Lauren New Member

Haha!
    I sit in the "Main Stand" - I can see the railway lines over the top of the opposite stand (with just the corporate boxes & dugouts)...
    Björn didn't score today because his lucky charm wasn't there ;)

13. Lauren

Lauren New Member

Ok I'm off to Luton again tomorrow night (after Sponsors' Day!) for their crucial home tie against Hull. Following the defeat to Leeds at the weekend (which was described rather concisely by Björn to me using simply one word, beginning with S and rhyming with 'bit'...) it is an even more important match for the Hatters than it would've been had they taken something on Saturday. Fingers crossed I can keep retain my lucky charm status and inspire Björn to a goal or two and Luton to 3 points!

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

from your mouth to the Big Guy's ear, Lauren. I followed the Luton match on match-tracker Saturday. Shots: Luton 6, Leeds 23!!!! I think Bjorn has indeed mastered the language.

Help the Big Swede get amongst the goals and bring back three for the Town!

15. Lauren

Lauren New Member

Well Tuesday night was a shambles. Mike Newell has lost the plot. He played a CENTRE-BACK as a STRIKER and left (arguably) Luton's 2 best strikers in Björn and Warren Feeney on the bench with no explanation. He brought Feeney and Morgan on as subs and had to replace the 'keeper who was stretchered off so Björn didn't even get on the pitch. In fact he had to sit and endure the final half hour of the game knowing he would play absolutely no part in it. All the fans were calling for Newell's head after the 2-1 defeat (it could've been more...what a dreadful match it was) and singing "you're not fit to wear the shirt" at the players. There's a real sense of bemusement at the club and the atmosphere amongst staff and players is not good. I think Luton are down & out now and I'm sure Björn won't extend his stay there any longer...

But anyway - I'm back there again on Saturday to support him so fingers crossed Newell sees sense and plays him again. It would be typical of Björn to do something like score a hat-trick and show Newell what a big mistake he made! I just think it was the most bizarre decision: they were playing a team also around the relegation zone, scrapping for points at home, and he didn't play his on-loan striker who's scored 2 in the last 3 home games. Crazy...

16. Lauren

Lauren New Member

The saga continues...Newell's been sacked!

17. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Then THAT explains the weird actions on his part.

Nervous Chicken Syndrome... when you know the next mistake costs you, you do it anyway. Have seen the exact same happen at the Crew.

18. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I don't understand how Newell gets the sack when the board screws him by selling all his best players. Makes no sense to me. Until the best players were sold, Luton was doing just fine in the middle of the pack. However, selling Rowan Vine and Carlos Edwards among others has given Newell slim pickings to choose from to make this team competitive.

I feel bad for Newell. I think he is a good manager. Perhaps I am missing something with him, but he is getting the shaft big time here.

19. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Re: RE: Runstrom

You've said it all Tom.

20. Lauren

Lauren New Member

RE: Re: RE: Runstrom

Perhaps him refusing to even communicate with the Chairman for at least the last 6 months has something to do with the lack of financial backing? Although apparently funds were made available in January but Newell decided to leave all in-dealings until the last minute... Who knows what the real story is. All I know is that his team selection on Tuesday night was truly bizarre.