Royal Freddie?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Sep 27, 2006.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Why not?

Reading seems to be making all the right moves, even when they don't make any (as the didn't, or did very little, during the summer transfer period). I could see Freddy coming along better with the Royals than with Fulham, and Readings owner has flatly stated he wants more Yanks on his team because he like their attitude and determination. If only Fulham would come around to that point of view with a special American CB with a not so American name.

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

While the idea is not bad, I just do not see MLS selling him. While I am not transfer expert, it seems from what I have read that trying to work out the transfer of an MLS player to a European league is like trying to convince Pettyfog that the war in Iraq has holes in it and that it was not a good move on the part of the USA.

In essence, MLS seems to really want to keep all their players and turn down most all offers from European clubs for players. I cannot see this move materializing based on that.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The most interesting part of the article was the part that said that the league was behind it because a mega-buck xfer would make the league look stronger -- and I agree.

As for what PCB says, I think that Coppel might be the best guy around right now. Thanks to the work habits of a lot of the PREM's American youth players, and the overall professionalism of guys like Claudio and Brian, "that American thing" has become the catch phrase for guys who work hard, train hard, lead by example, and cause no trouble in the club house. Americans now have their best chance in Europe because of this.

There's what I like to call the "McBride - Mathis continuum" at work here. The question is no longer about whether we have the talent to compete, the question is to the character and work ethic of the individual. Freddie and Dempsey are ready talent-wise; where are they on the continuum has everything to do with how they'll fare.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Umm...sorry, but I don't see this happening. How is he going to qualify for a work permit? He has one cap, just one--he doesn't come close to meeting all the requirements. Plus, I still don't think he can play for an European starting 11 team until he hits 18, according to FIFA transfer rules (could be wrong, trying to sort FIFA's rules can be tough).

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Good point. How could this happen with Adu having only one cap?

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Adu's "one cap" is a bonus. He's a youth player -- and he's been pretty much ever-present in that role internationally. That's the key. Otherwise, youth players would never be transfered, and they are all the time -- like our own Bjorn.

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

point - counterpoint

Very confusing this qualifying for Europe thing. Where to find the black & white rule?

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

It doesn't, look at who the original source for the story: The Sun.

Reading can try, but it's not going to happen. Plus, why would MLS loan a player of Freddy's caliber? It doesn't make sense for them. What if Freddy gets hurt? Then how would they make money off of him?

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Bjorn is a European player, his situation is not even close to being similiar. Europeans can to any European league with the EU labor laws.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, if they'd loan their marquee striker -- Brian McBride -- to Preston and Everton, why wouldn't they loan out Freddie.

Your point about the Sun is well taken, however, and we veterans of this site -- especially after this summer's highs and lows -- know all about the veracity of trade rumours.

I guess I just WANT to believe that this one is true. I think Freddie is ready [not trying to be cute; just happens :roll: ] and I think he'll begin to stagnate and fall into bad habits unless he comes over the water. I'd hate for him to join a side with a huge squad and get lost and frustrated, and I think that Reading is a good match.

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Freddy won't be in the league too much longer. My best guess; he'll be transfered in the summer after he turns 18, and will not be a loan. He'll probably be bought by Chelsea or Man U.

But I'll agree that a team like Reading would be better for him.

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I finally found the Fifa transfer rules banning the international transfers of players under 18. For those of you who are interested at looking regulations.

http://www.fifa.com/documents/static/re ... fer_EN.pdf

14. alex_b

alex_b New Member

Don't know much about Freddie so i watched some clips of him on the web and am very impressed.

Wish Coleman would go for him as we have no creative spark or pace up front so Freddie would be perfect. All our strikers seem to be in the good old fashioned English no.9 mould.

Maybe Brian and Boca could have a word with him and convince him to come to the cottage.

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Hopefully by the time Freddy is eligible to be trasferred Fulham will have sorted out its attack. Plus, I don't think Fulham will spend the money on Freddy.

And I'm not entirely sold on Freddy becoming the greatest American player ever. He still has some mental toughness to develop, but he's young and has time. I just wish he would grow a few more inches.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

One thing I've noticed that the MLS [and his coach] have done for Freddy is had him concentrate on strength training. When I first saw him and recovered from his jaw-dropping skills, I noticed that he was easy to shove around. As a result, he was pretty much useless with his back to the goal. In recent matches I've seen that he is much stronger and much more difficult to muscle. I don't think height will be the difference maker as much as stregnth and a lower center of gravity. And, of course, where he falls on the McBride-Mathis Continuum.

17. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Seem to remember some short, but spectacular football players........hmmmm, Maradona, Rooney?

18. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Rooney is not that short, he's 5'10. Maradona was at one time the best soccer player in the world, it didn't matter what his height was--Freddy's skills don't come close. Freddy may be listed at 5'7, but I doubt he's taller than me. I think it would help Freddy to be about two inches taller to help him play against bigger defenders in the Premiership. (I don't think Maradonna had to play against those big defenders)

19. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Easy Tiger! Just pointing out some not so tall, but good players who come to mind.

And bless you, for saying that 5' 10 is not short!!! (Although I had someone say yesterday in a "not that you're short" way, that I was short).

20. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

5'10 is tall from my perspective. 8)