Roy (not Bo) Knows

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by omsdogg, Nov 10, 2008.

1. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Remember those Nike Bo Jackson commercials? Since they sponsor our kits, they should make one for Roy Hodgson. I want this debated as well as I know there are a lot of people out there unhappy with Roy and his decision with Dempsey, or for other reasons but let me tell you my reasons for why "Roy Knows."

Transformation of a Team

Roy took a team full of bad players last season and did the unthinkable in saving us from relegation. He did that by taking a team supposedly built for one style of play, and converting them into playing a different style. I have watched the same thing happen to my favorite MLS team RSL and it has taken a full season and a half for them to finally start playing comfortably in the new system, and the result has been better soccer, a long streak without losing, and now a trip to the Conference Finals. I think Roy's changing of the system, plus adding various new players in the offseason is something that takes time to for the players to gel in. Our team has definitely shown glimpses of what it can do and AJ is starting to show the nose he has for goal. I know everyone including myself is frustrated with Gera's lack of finishing but the man has put himself into scoring positions where he can recieve the ball. I firmly believe Roy is fully confident in his guys and his system and is trying to allow them as much time together as possible. This doesn't mean I don't want to see Deuce in the lineup. I just am putting my confidence in Roy and his knowledge of managing a team and his belief in his guys.

Defense

The next reason "Roy Knows" is the masterful job he has done with our Defending. Consider our defensive numbers for the last two years:

2007/08 17th 60 goals allowed average of 1.6 goals per game
    2006/07 16th 60 goals allowed average of 1.6 goals per game
    2005/06 12th 50 goals allowed average of 1.3 goals per game

This season we have through 11 games we have given up 10 goals. That is an averge of .9 goals a game. Our offense has indeed been sluggish having only scored 10, but are goal differential thus far is 0 whereas for the past three seasons, it has been -22, -22, and -10 the year we finished 12th. I like what HD said about our Defense this year and agree wholeheartedly:

Continuity

Roy is patient and sticks to his guns, and I don't just mean this in the sense of his lineups although he has definitely done that. In the interview with Roy that was posted on the Toon thread, you can see that Roy stays even keel no matter the situation. Massive win against Toon and Roy is calm and collected, noting that it will be difficult for the club to challenge for Europe. Tough loss against Everton and Roy remains confident and assured. Said Roy a couple of weeks ago:

"In three difficult games we've got at least four points. I'd like more but you must remain modest," he said.

"When you are where we are, constantly fighting to get into the middle of the table, if every three games brings us four points then we're doing very well.

"We can't pull cartwheels when we get three points and rise to 12th and at the same time we can't get the shroud out when we drop down to 16th. We must be realistic."

When it comes to FFC, I say Roy Knows!

2. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

As long as Roy continues to change the lineup during the game I'll be happy. My frustration with Roy at the beginning of the season was when he only played the starting eleven. When people are playing flat, uninspired football you have to shake things up. You have a bench so I believe you should use it from time to time.

3. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Nicely put Dog and I agree with what you wrote. There seems to be two camps with respect to Roy; 1) Believes he should substitute more and change things up to improve results and 2) Thinks Roy knows what he is doing is willing to be patient and doesn't get too worked up about his lineup, style or substitution strategy.

No matter which camp you're in, both viewpoints want more success for Fulham, I know that is something we all can all agree on. :)

4. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Purely conjecture (and perhaps an admission?) on my part, but I'd hazard a guess that were Dempsey starting in lieu of Gera, a bit of the sub banter (not all mind you) would die down.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

My thoughts and feelings about Roy are this - I adored him last year when he the calm, decent gentlemen who understood the lads and did the best with what he was given. This year, he is the one who spent the money, he determines the team and so the pressure is on big time. After last season's miracle it was just hard to see so many players leave, and Roy's nurturing nature seemed to disappear regarding some of our favorite players that were shipped out (Boca, Volzy didnt they at least deserve a thanks, wish you luck,etc publicly). It dimmed the afterglow of the great escape. Then things started to seem negative within the club - Bullard's contract, Dempsey, Roy's comments about signing prospects, Roy's post game comments became more predictable and less honest.

I havent been bothered with his starting line-ups, that's his choice and we dont know what happens on the practice field. It's not using subs in games that bothers me. Nevland has been so effective as a sub for Roy and he brought him here so I found it perplexing. But sure enough, Roy is bringing him in now along with Dempsey and it's worked. Also, not many, if any, of us liked him playing Soel at the beginning of the season but he actually did pretty well and now he's nowhere to be seen. Why?

Finally, I do think Dempsey should get minutes, but I can understand Roy starting Gera. He seems like more of a threat than Dempsey to me - but it's close.

6. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Re: RE: Roy (not Bo) Knows

Thing is with Woy, I'm in both camps. I am of the belief that Dempsey should start in place of Gera. At the same time, I am not manager of FFC and I don't know what goes on in training, but Dempsey has shown a fire in his eyes in what opportunities he has got this year and Gera has not been what I had hoped, or what I understand he was last year at WBA.
    I do not want him canned, as that would be cutting off your nose to spite your face. Seol has a knee injury, physioroom.com does not list a return date for him -- http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_ ... 85efd640ab.

Sad to say, I wasn't surprised to see minimal thank yous to Volzy or Boca because it is a business, and all parties concerned have their own interests at heart. The only thing I guess we can do is wish them well at their new clubs, as long as they don't play the Ws anytime soon -- Volzy has played in 11 games of 16 for Ipswich as of this writing and their defense has let in the 6th fewest goals in the CCC so it can't be all hardtack and heartburn for him there; IT is in 8th place now, 1 point out of the playoffs, but the CCC being what it is that could change wildly tomorrow. I picked them to come up, so I guess I have to stand by that. Make it happen, Volzy.

7. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Roy Hodgson might be the best English manager in the game, especially as far as the EPL goes because of his extensive time spent on the continent.

I think people have been trying to read every little tea leaf to figure something was wrong with Roy, or just because the everyman Dempsey wasn't playing. People, it just takes time and it especially takes time for a club like Fulham which will always be a season away from relegation.

Fulham can't do better than Roy Hodgson. So lets have some faith.

... and Roy and Fulham publicly thanked Volz and Bocanegra. They didn't throw a party, but they did say thank you.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Attachment to a football club is based on emotion. And, as Spock said many times, emotion is illogical.

I agree that Roy is probably the best coach in the game, and a very savvy manager. There are better game-day gaffers about, but most of them are named Martin O'Neil. I don't think we can do better.

In Woy I Twust!

9. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

We're especially loving Roy at the moment!