Roster for September WC Qualifiers

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by bostoncottage, Aug 28, 2009.

1. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa: 5/3 SO), Tim Howard (Everton FC: 12/7 SO)

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes: 22/3), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA, 2/0), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover: 19/0), Jay DeMerit (Watford: 3/0), Clarence Goodson (IK Start: 1/0), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew: 2/0), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan: 17/1), Jonathan Spector (West Ham: 2/0)

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake: 0/0), Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach: 11/4), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo: 6/0), Clint Dempsey (Fulham: 18/4), Benny Feilhaber (AGF Aarhus: 2/0), Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo: 1/0), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew: 0/0), José Francisco Torres (Pachuca: 5/0)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Hull City: 9/5), Conor Casey (Colorado Rapids: 5/0), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo: 16/6), Charlie Davies (FC Sochaux: 3/2), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy: 31/11), Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake: 0/0)

I'd like to see Feilhaber start with Bradley and hope Torres sees some action along the way. Can Spector play on the left?

2. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

no, no, no, no. Spector dominated Spain on the right side, and cannot cross with his left foot.

If anything, the big question is what to do with LB. Boca is not the answer, Bornstein isn't good enough, and BB was willing to put Beasley over 'Dolo there, which says a lot.

3. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I like the fact that FIndley is in the squad. I've always thought he could do well at the CONCACAF level. The goals have been disappointing throughout his career, but he seems to have fixed that this year.

4. jmh

jmh New Member

If you're more concerned with playing solid defense than with generating offense from your outside backs, Boca might be the answer at left back.

5. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

RE: Re: Roster for September WC Qualifiers

Spector plays LB for West Ham.

Important thing for me is seeing Altidore and Davies up top. Everything else is secondary.

6. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Spector has played at LB and RB for West Ham, Charlton, and Manchester United, but he's really better as a CB. If we're not playing Honduras or Mexico, I'd put Boca at LB and run Cheesehead and Gooch as the CBs, with 'dolo at RB. Spector would be the perfect guy on the bench to replace any of them.

How about a 4-2-2-2 with
    Bradley --- Feilhaber
    Dempsey --- Donovan
    Altidore --- Davies?????

8. WVfulhamfan

WVfulhamfan New Member

I think that is probably the best decision Don. I also wouldn't mind Edgar Castillo getting a look at left back. He is a natural left back and good at pushing into the attack. He may need to work on his overall defense but I still think he should get a look sometime. He has been playing pretty well for Tigres.

9. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

That would certainly be interesting....though would sitting so far back potentiall nullify Feilhaber's best attributes? I guess not if Dempsey and Donovan are pushed fairly high and wide, which I imagine they would be. Ultimately, I'm with Andy: as long as Altidore and Davies start up front together, I'll be happy. As long as they're fit, they should start every game together between now and next summer.